• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New from Maine USA

armycopter

Hi everyone, new member, thought I would throw up an introduction. I have 2019 R1250GS. I’m in my 50’s and have been riding since I was about 12. I also have a Honda CRF300L and a Honda Africa Twin 1100 (which I am going to sell). The 300 is great for local trails and last year my buddy and I did the NEBDR on them. Next year planning to do the MABDR on the 1250 which should be fun. Also starting to plan a trip to Alaska and back but that won’t be for a few years yet. I want to wait until my military retirement kicks in and make the trip as sort of a celebration. Anyway, that’s about it. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 85
Welcome to the forum!
Sounds like you are sorting some great riding.
My apologies for those that come up from here and try to wreck there. :p
Gary

Welcome armycopter! Nice bike. Would love to know what you didn't like about the AT. Thanks for posting the picture.

Welcome armycopter! Nice bike. Would love to know what you didn't like about the AT. Thanks for posting the picture.

Honestly there isn't anything I don't like about the AT. It's a great bike. I unfortunately chose the DCT model when I bought it. I should have gotten a normal manual clutch. I really liked the DCT at first but after a while it just kind of annoyed me. Lots of people love it and I respect that, it just wasn't for me.

Other than choosing the wrong clutch system, the bike was near perfect. Plenty of power, suspension, and technology. I really liked the apple carplay and I wish my BMW had that option. The sound of the parallel twin is great. I actually prefer the sound of the engine over the GS.

The GS is more comfortable though without a doubt. The stock seat is WAY better. Sitting position is similar so I could have just gotten a more comfortable seat and it would have been fine.

The GS is just something different and I had always liked the looks of these bikes. Figured I'd give one a try. So far so good.

Welcome ArmyCoptor from way far away in Maine!

Hope your particular BMW will scratch those itches beyond the capabilities of the Honda Twin. :nod It certainly is the Swiss Army knife of the BMW Brand.

Good Luck reaching your eventual retirement date from Army Aviation. We've retired down here beside Redstone Arsenal [PEO Army Aviation] and we're very happy to have made so many new M/C friends. Spect that you may have passed through Rocket City at some point. Will U become a permanent resident of Maine because it's so Cool, or will future employment mean resettling to begin your next phase in life in the Lower 47? :lurk

We're looking forward to the next MOA Rally in June. First tho, we all have to make it thru winter's challenges.

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K16GT ———— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L -—- ’11 Vespa GTS 300
:beer

Welcome ArmyCoptor from way far away in Maine!

Hope your particular BMW will scratch those itches beyond the capabilities of the Honda Twin. :nod It certainly is the Swiss Army knife of the BMW Brand.

Good Luck reaching your eventual retirement date from Army Aviation. We've retired down here beside Redstone Arsenal [PEO Army Aviation] and we're very happy to have made so many new M/C friends. Spect that you may have passed through Rocket City at some point. Will U become a permanent resident of Maine because it's so Cool, or will future employment mean resettling to begin your next phase in life in the Lower 47? :lurk

We're looking forward to the next MOA Rally in June. First tho, we all have to make it thru winter's challenges.

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K16GT ———— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L -—- ’11 Vespa GTS 300
:beer

Thanks, no I’m currently in the Army National Guard. I could technically retire at any point but can’t start collecting for a few years (the Guard is different in that regard). I have lived in Maine most of my life. Not sure if I’ll move South after retirement or not. My wife and I are definitely considering it. Winters get tiresome after a while!

I have about 34 years of mixed active duty and national guard so far. I actually spent 6 years in the Navy out of high school as an enlisted avionics tech working on F-14’s. I’m guessing I’ll do another two more years and then be done. I spent my formative years in a MEDEVAC unit and flew UH60’s for about 18 years of my career. Multiple deployments along the way. Now I fly a desk haha. My full time career is in manufacturing. I work for/own a silicone pigment dispersions company. Not exciting but an honest living!

I spent a lot of time at Fort Rucker over the years for various schools. I lived in Daleville during my flight school and Q course. I don’t recall Rocket City but who knows, my memory isn’t what it used to be!

Back