• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Squeaky" startup and headlight questions

johnwraystewart

2001 R1150RT, which I bought last summer. Two questions:

1 - When I start it up cold, there's a disturbing amount of "squeaking" coming from, I guess, the upper part of the engine. At first I thought it was plastic shifting around, but indeed once the bike warms up, it goes away, so I'm thinking this is more like metal-on-metal sounds. Is this oil just getting into the upper part of the engine, and is it normal? Seems very disturbing, but maybe it's just the way of this bike.

2 - I noticed last night that the bright headlight is kind of useless - hardly makes a difference having it on or off. It's visible, but it's not very effective. Is there a good drop-in replacement for the bright bulb that is more intense.

thanks!

1 - When I start it up cold, there's a disturbing amount of "squeaking" coming from, I guess, the upper part of the engine. At first I thought it was plastic shifting around, but indeed once the bike warms up, it goes away, so I'm thinking this is more like metal-on-metal sounds. Is this oil just getting into the upper part of the engine, and is it normal? Seems very disturbing, but maybe it's just the way of this bike.

2 - I noticed last night that the bright headlight is kind of useless - hardly makes a difference having it on or off. It's visible, but it's not very effective. Is there a good drop-in replacement for the bright bulb that is more intense.

thanks!

The squeaking is possibly coming from a too-loose alternator drive belt. You need to check the tension and/or replace the belt if it is worn.

Squeaking can be hard to trace - Do you have a friendly second person to stand off to each side and verify the source? A dirty gummed-up starter makes horrible squeaking noises at startup, but often goes away when hot.

Make sure that the Right bulb is installed for your high beam, and check how it's aimed.
Some people like the Cyclops replacements - https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/

thanks!

1. Alternator belt.

2. LED replacement bulb.

Back