• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Shift assist question on new GSA

elvis

Hello,
Getting back into the BMW brand and eyeing a new '22 GSA non es. It comes with shift assist but the salesman says it's an odd shift assist as it only works upshifting. I can add the downshifting part for a cost. I don't mind paying for it if it's legit. I haven't ridden it so don't know if it's there or not.

Has anyone heard of the shift assist being just for upshifting?

Thanks
Dave

Shift Assist Pro is up and down. My '15 1200GS had it, and my current '21 1250GSA has it as well.

1st- generation S1000RR bikes had up-only, but as far as I know, the Wethead R- bikes have always had it both ways.

Perhaps your salesperson is misinformed.

Shift Assist Pro is up and down. My '15 1200GS had it, and my current '21 1250GSA has it as well.

1st- generation S1000RR bikes had up-only, but as far as I know, the Wethead R- bikes have always had it both ways.

Perhaps your salesperson is misinformed.

Hmmmmnnnnn.....gets me thinking. Thanks Drew.

Down shifting assist requires throttle to be FULLY closed. It will not downshift with any throttle applied. Coming to a stop or slowing, you just keep punching it down and it rev matches fantastically. Up shifting requires some throttle applied, more is better, and other than 1st to 2nd it works very good. I found it MUCH smoother than most report on my new 23 RS. At 2k miles I have now gotten used to it and I LIKE IT!!

My salesman emailed me and said the shift assist has been upgraded to shift assist Pro and he took care of the charge. So no harm no foul.

Picking it up on Tuesday!
Thanks for the comments.

I find mine is clunky from 2nd to 3rd, esp under hard acceleration there seems to be an almost false neutral then it jams into gear.

Otherwise it's not too bad, down works better.

When I got my 23rs it came with the quick shifter. Nothing about pro or needing to upgrade to get downshifts.

My guess your salesguy is wrong and trying to make himself look good rather than be honest, but I'm a cynical one.

My guess your salesguy is wrong and trying to make himself look good rather than be honest, but I'm a cynical one.

Far be it from me to jump to the defense, or jump on the defense, of a motorcycle salesman I do not know. But let me say without equivocation that BMW makes it very difficult to understand all of the nuances of the many "options" which are available to wade through, which seem to change from year to year and even within years: not to mention the different meanings of terms for one model versus another model. I find it is very easy for me to think I understand something only to find out that I didn't understand it at all.

Option X with paint code Y and ABS but no ASC and Shift Assist but not Pro (or con) I suppose. It does not need to be this difficult to understand, it would seem to me. But is this for a GS or an RT or an R18??

Option X with paint code Y and ABS but no ASC and Shift Assist but not Pro (or con) I suppose. It does not need to be this difficult to understand, it would seem to me. But is this for a GS or an RT or an R18??

Oh god this was basically my experience buying a chev recently. X is available with Y but not Z unless you get R....

It's one thing to be wrong about the bike and parts, but the sales guy 'ate the cost' part is what makes me suspicious. Easy way to change looking incompetent into another sales pitch, but I hope I'm wrong.

And I'm definitely not arguing BMW isn't to blame for the confusion a lot of the time, you've got that right!

Far be it from me to jump to the defense, or jump on the defense, of a motorcycle salesman I do not know. But let me say without equivocation that BMW makes it very difficult to understand all of the nuances of the many "options" which are available to wade through, which seem to change from year to year and even within years: not to mention the different meanings of terms for one model versus another model. I find it is very easy for me to think I understand something only to find out that I didn't understand it at all.

It's for a new '22 GSA.

I've purchased a few new vehicles and m/c's in my life and am very distrusting of the sales people. He's seems like he knows his stuff regarding BMW's. Either way I now have the gear shift assist pro.

Down shifting assist requires throttle to be FULLY closed. It will not downshift with any throttle applied. Coming to a stop or slowing, you just keep punching it down and it rev matches fantastically. Up shifting requires some throttle applied, more is better, and other than 1st to 2nd it works very good. I found it MUCH smoother than most report on my new 23 RS. At 2k miles I have now gotten used to it and I LIKE IT!!

I've had an upshift only "quickshifter" on my Triumph Street Triple for about 10 years, so I'm used to the upshifting part; the downshifting not so much. Downshifting without the clutch is not nearly as quick or smooth as can be done with clutching. I think I read the same reviews about how clunky it was, and also find it to be much smoother than what was reported. 1-2 is always going to be jerky because of the gear ratios - it's the same on my Triumph. 2-3 is a little less so and the rest can actually be almost buttery. To be honest, I could do without the downshifting side, if that would get me a cable actuated throttle. For me, fly-by-wire feels a little vague. There seems to be a slight but perceptible lag between input and outcome. It's the same way in my fly-by-wire car.

My '21 GSA has the "Shift Assist" I love it. At first, it was reluctant to do the 1-2 upshift, but after I hooked up my Motoscan Tool and performed the "Shift Assist Calibration" or something close to that title it has performed flawlessly for 38,000 miles.

As others have said, the secret is to have the throttle open for upshifts and to have the throttle completely closed for downshifts.

As others have said, the secret is to have the throttle open for upshifts and to have the throttle completely closed for downshifts.

My 1018 RT has Shift Assist Pro. It works well. As far as downshifting I find it works better with the throttle open slightly. I open throttle lets the engine breath easier and it doesn't engine brake as hard.

I find the downshift works much better if the throttle is very slightly open. I close the throttle all the way and then roll on very slightly and it pops down very easily.

Cheers, Ken

I adjusted my shift lever down 1/2 inch and find the quick shifter smoother shifting up.

I guess my boots and the angle were preventing me from always getting a solid/firm upshift.

Probably the cause of the false neutral I got a couple times.

Thanks everyone, I brought it home yesterday and I have both upshift and downshift assist. No charge for the latter. Still learning about the TFT. So far so good, a lot of pep it has. ;)

Back