• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seeping Master Cylinder Res Gasket

Walking Eagle

Seeping Master Cylinder Res Diaphragm/Gasket

Greetings,

The above says it --

Funny thing - even though I "think" this is probably a diaphragm/gasket with a 1993 birthday ('94 R1100RS), it looks absolutely new, is completely pliable, and shows NO signs of deterioration, no minute cracks, etc.

After I drained the system for new SS line install, I buttoned everything back up, and went for a ride yesterday. After about 30 fun-filled miles, I happened to look at the master cylinder, and there was considerable seepage from the rearmost edge of the seam - enough to sling a few drops of this deadly fluid onto the $$$ upper "ledge" of the tank! Once I got my heart pumping again, I quickly stopped, wiped everything clean and did a quick rinse beside the road - no damage to paint, but this could have been a disaster.

After wiping everything down and a quick rinse beside the road, I headed home, and figured that I had overfilled the M Cyl reservoir. The screws were pretty tight, although I was careful to not overtighten and squish the diaphragm/gasket, and used a cross-pattern.

When you turn the bars of the RS to full-lock on the left, the top of the M Cyl sits pretty level, which is the position I used to do the fill/bleed to prevent spills (full plastic drape, of course). This is the position it was in when I filled it to within about 3/8" from the top, and thus think I overfilled. Then, when flying straight-and-level the M Cyl tilts pretty sharply downhill, so that the fluid rests right against the back and right edge of the seams between the top and body of the reservoir.

I sucked out about 1/3 of the fluid, which still left plenty, with the aim being to get the "resting" level BELOW the rearmost seam. I left the bike sitting overnight on the centerstand, wheel pointed straight ahead, so the M Cyl tilts in the "normal" riding position. I just looked at it, and DAMN -- a line of fluid seepage still shows. I'm not absolutely positive that the level is below the seam, but am not willing to pull any more out of the reservoir and this isn't a "permanent fix" anyway -- this clearly shouldn't be leaking, even when fluid rests against the seam - at least that's my opinion.

NOTE: The threaded bolt holes did NOT have any residual fluid in them, so this isn't the issue.

Obviously I'm ordering a new diaphragm/gasket this morning, but this one is a puzzler to me.

QUESTION (finally) -- do these things somehow get "fluid-logged" (?) and quit sealing? I've opened and closed a lot of M Cylinders in my time, and this problem is new to me (as is the machine - under a year).

Thanks, and sorry that this turned into such a long post.

UPDATE: I'm watching this thing like a hawk, and it keeps seeping at the top seam, so I think the fluid must still be "up there." NEW INFO is that I need a M. Cyl rebuild kit, too. I'd thought that the seepage from the top seam put the deadly drops onto the tank, but NO -- fluid oozing out of the lever housing. Oops - I know what that means! More dough to the great guys at BBY! Open on Mondays!

Walking Eagle

Last edited:
Anybody else????

I guess I should just ask:

Has anybody else ever seen this weeping at the diaphragm/gasket?

Again - the rubber looks to be in GREAT condition, although - to re-state, most of the rubber on this '94 is (was) ORIGINAL rubber, to my knowledge.

Yes, I'm replacing the diaphragm/gasket, but am still puzzled as to why this would be leaking. . . I've tried ALL levels of reasonable tightening, and it still seeps fluid.

Walking Eagle

Some Bad News, here --

NEW INFO - THANKS, MIKE @ BeemerBoneYard This "rubber boot" a/k/a diaphragm/gasket for the MC IS available separately -- It's BMW # is 32722312421, and it sells for $16.91. The NY Max's provided the (incorrect) information as reported below, and BBY took the time to CALL and write an e-mail with the CORRECT information.

NEW INFO # 2 -- FYI, the SPRING is also not in the BBY m/c kit, so don't remove your old goodies and throw them away while you wait for the mail to bring your new one! ! Not a big deal, as these springs seem to last and last, and you probably won't need one unless your old one is rusted all to hell, in which case, you've got other far more pressing brake issues to deal with.

What a relief! You guys are spared future whining.

Original Posting, below:

This is a "cautionary" update for you feisty persons who post and lurk here. . .

Bought a needed master cylinder repair kit from BBY yesterday, which does NOT include a diaphragm/gasket, and they don't sell them separately. $40-something for the boot, piston, spring and rubber seals . . .

Figured I could "easily" buy the diaphragm (only) from dealer of choice. . .

NOOOOOO - Dealers sell a "complete overhaul kit" for the MC, which is the ONLY way (?) to get the diaphragm, and the kit is $70+ dollars, and all I need (now) is the diaphragm.

It makes me come out in hives to even think about CAREFULLY using RTV(?) or something on this particular gasket-surface, but I'm afraid I'm at a loss as to how to cure this "seep." I know RTV isn't to be used with gasoline, but think it's OK for brake fluid, but not sure. Please don't flame me for suggesting this, as I already said it's not a perfect solution, and maybe not even a good one.

A very thin "extra" gasket? Also risky, in my opinion, but I can't have this seep, and I'm off on a long trip starting next week.

I'm open for any reasonable (unreasonable?) suggestion.

Need some input, here, from the wise ones. . .and this "seep" is something I've never seen, unless the diaphragm/gasket is obviously compromised. . .which this one is not. I've had the fillister screws down pretty tight, and the @#$% thing still seeps!

LAST RESORT: Anybody got an "extra" one of these diaphragms for sale? I'm willing to try a used one at this point. Couldn't be any worse than the one I've got. ('94R1100RS)

Regards,

Walking Eagle

Last edited:
Back