• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

are Undertank MASTER CYLINDER crush washer seal, or pipe thread ?

gtgt_bangbang

the undertank brake master cylinder has a pressure switch on end , to operate the brake light.
('78 R100 , https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51651&rnd=09082020, BRAKES 34_ 0606)

Several references indicate this pressure switch requires a crush washer to seal it on master body.

Although the Maxbmw DIAGRAM doesn't show a crush washer, they list a seal ring (10 x 13.5 . aluminum) for use with that switch.

I assembled mine with crush washer, expecting switch to crush against it, but the switch's threads bottom out a couple mm before engaging the washer,
as if the switch is taper pipe thread. . I dont recall what the assembly was like before rebuild .....

QUESTION - any one have some info on this ?

Does YOUR undertank master cylinder use a crush washer or it is (self-sealing) pipe thread ?

Rather not fill the brakes with fluid just to find out if it leaks on new frame paint !

thanks in advance

the undertank brake master cylinder has a pressure switch on end , to operate the brake light.
('78 R100 , https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51651&rnd=09082020, BRAKES 34_ 0606)

Several references indicate this pressure switch requires a crush washer to seal it on master body.

Although the Maxbmw DIAGRAM doesn't show a crush washer, they list a seal ring (10 x 13.5 . aluminum) for use with that switch.

I assembled mine with crush washer, expecting switch to crush against it, but the switch's threads bottom out a couple mm before engaging the washer,
as if the switch is taper pipe thread. . I dont recall what the assembly was like before rebuild .....

QUESTION - any one have some info on this ?

Does YOUR undertank master cylinder use a crush washer or it is (self-sealing) pipe thread ?

Rather not fill the brakes with fluid just to find out if it leaks on new frame paint !

thanks in advance

It's a 1/8" tapered pipe thread on the ones I have on hand. 1975, 1978, and 1979 if that makes a difference.

It's a 1/8" tapered pipe thread on the ones I have on hand. 1975, 1978, and 1979 if that makes a difference.

thanks, yeah it felt like a good pipe-pipe thread at fit up, so good to know.
First thing that seemed odd was the washer still dangling free after I wasnt going to torque-ture it any more

so anyway I got a NOS trick copper orange crush washer along for the ride, in case aonther bike needs one

At least it isn't a tapered fitting threaded into plastic like on the late recalled fuel pumps of ill repute. I don't understand engineers that thread a tapered fitting into a fragile part. The intern must have been in charge during Oktoberfest or something.

Back