• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

RT aux lights and cylinder protectors?

the Wizard of Oz
Looking for ideas for aux lights and cylinder protectors for an 88 RT.

Must the lowers be cut to accommodate crash bars? I suppose is the real question. Then mount lights on the cylinders protectors. THX in advance

Lowers

Yes, the lowers have to have holes cut for the BMW bars or the similar bars on the market. At one time a template was available from Max BMW to aid in placement of the holes. Once you have bars on, you can easily mount all kinds of lights as long as you have room, lol.

I took a different approach, I looked on Ebay for a pair of used already cut out lowers and had them painted.

The lowers from the 79 to 95 model years are as far as I know, the same part number. The only thing that changed from 79 to 95 was the storage pockets on the newer 85 up bikes got cheaper made, not as nice as the older years.

One thing I will mention is that if you install the BMW style bars, you may have to start using the hinged oil filters. One of the braces interferes on my bike with the straight filter going in. A minor problem. St.

Actually, nothing wrong with the "bendy" filter...generally about all you can get but there are places that sell the original straight filter. The "bendy" filter is actually stronger and is less likely to crush in unusual oil flow problems.

Bendy

I agree there is nothing wrong with the flex filter, no difference in filter action. LOL, it is just that I had a few on hand for oil changes and now they don't fit in my bike. I had to stock up on the bendy ones. Oh well I have friends who can use them. It makes sense they are less prone to collapsing.

Just a note, I got to test my guard bars last summer when I dropped the bike in a very soft dirt parking lot and bad footing. The bar on the left side definitely saved my brand new paint job from any damage. I won't comment on how much good the bars will do in anything other than that type of drop. Hopefully I never find out but I am VERY happy to have them installed and to also have the extra pair of lights for daytime visibility. St.

Back