• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

recommendations on auxiliary lighting for 2005 R1200GS?

Hey all, I just bought a 2005 R1200GS, and would like to add some auxiliary lighting. I'm interested in recommendations from those who have aux lighting (brands, models, halogen vs. LED, current draw, durability, rain resistance, etc). I previously put MotoLight aux lights on the fork of two previous bikes, and liked that setup...I realize lower lights are not as good for off road riding, but like the increased conspicuity and depth perception afforded to car drivers, with aux light low (and forming a triangle with the stock headlight). I have heard there's only 120W of extra generating/alternating capacity on the bike, so don't want to overdo the electrical draw. Since I last purchased lights, LED technology has really come along. Also, I'm interested in a recommendation on a modulating tail light, like the TailBlazer I purchased in 2003 or so. Thanks in advance for the suggestions! I really like this bike! (sold the 2002 F650GS) --Andy in Del Rio, TX

Check out Rocket Moto in N.H.
They have the Clearwater LED lights and the Rowe Electronics digital power circuit breaker.Very nice stuff,very nice people.

Start with your current bulbs

Congrats on your purchase. I also have an '05 GS and love it. Never could get enough light from the stock bulbs and have tried almost all bulb combinations (without adding additional lighting) and just found a GREAT bulb. The H7 PIAA night-tech. Cost about $35.00 each and had to special order them from PIAA. Just took a night drive and the difference is amazing. I put the bulbs in both high/low sockets.

Still want more light? Take a look at the PIAA LP530 LED lights. New and I've heard great reviews. Low draw, nice output and quite inexpensive. This is probably going to be my next upgrade.

Ride safe and enjoy that new bike!

I use those two sets on my GS

Upper 10W LED, lower 16W LED.

They make a huge difference while riding at night.Pm me for more info.

foglightsongs2.jpg

foglightsongs1.jpg

10W LED on top vs 55W Piaa 1100 bottom

2012-04-13152624-1.jpg

If you still have the Motolights you can now get an LED conversion for them. I did the conversion when I moved the lights from my ST1100 to my VStrom that has a limited alternator. They are very conspicuous. I am going to move the Motolights over to my GSA.

I'm surprised at how poorly the rugged and powerful appearing stock GSA driving lights actually produce such weak light.

I am also looking for a simple bulb or conversion to remedy that. The Motolight LED conversion was simple and I'm very satisfied with the light. I went with the lower 10 watt version and it seems plenty to get me to stand out in traffic.

Edit: I double checked and the Motolight LED standard bulbs are designated as 3.2 watts. I apologize for the previous incorrect stats.

Last edited:
OK, thanks for the info. I sold the MotoLights with the old bike, but it's good to know there only use 10W for the LED version.

I have had Motolights on two bikes now and am very pleased with them. Recently added them to a 98 K1200RS. Regret not getting the LED version...am currently using the 55 watt bulbs and that is a lot of draw on the system.

The Motolights on my LT looked as good as new after 10 years of use. And they really do provide free replacement bulbs.

I wish you well in your search.

:wave

OK, thanks everyone for the advice. I should have mentioned that I want to add extra lights, not just change the bulbs on the stock headlights. I'm planning to add conspicuity for other drivers--and depth perception, which seems to be improved with 3 pts of light, spaced apart (stock headlight, plus 2 aux lights down low).

Thanks!

Back