• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Auxiliary Lights - R 1200 GS W

desmoderek

MotoDruid
After riding on a dark and rainy night recently, I've decided I'd like to add some distance and breadth to the light span on my GS during main and high beam.
I have the LED headlight, which is arguably very good, I just want more!
I've been looking at a pair of the Denali D4's to suit my needs.
However I'm not a wiring or electrical kind of guy, and so I wonder why I need a loom when I can just wire them from the switched 12v outlet on the dash to the lights and ground them through the mounting bracket or back to the outlet. They only draw 1.5 amps and all I use the outlet for is to charge my spare Sena battery, so I don't see why I need to complicate the situation by adding all that extra wiring.

Answers please.

Rigid bar light from Blackdog cycle works

Blackdog sell a 3000 leums bar light that mounts between the forks right over the front wheel. you need to order the mounting brackets from them as they are specially machined for the GSW. current price is under $500 with everything you need.

You need to need to have auxiliary power available outside the Canbus. The PDM60 will take care of it.install. One switch wire, one wire to Battery, one to ground, and one wire to lights.

I have used it at night in the boonies and it extends the comfortable driving range by at least a factor of 2 maybe 3. Additionally it mounts out of harms way between the forks.

Down side is it is TOO bright to ever use in traffic. I suspect it may not be legal in some states. you should be able to click on the web sight below. I Do not work for either company.

http://blackdogcw.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/bmw-r1200gslc-prem-fork-light-pack2.jpg

I think you're on the right track by wiring directly to the battery with a relay or through a power distribution box.

On the other hand, I'd look at the lights sold by ADV Monster. I've used their Model 30 for about 60,000 miles now with no problems. Cost is $40 per light (and if you are a member of the ADV Rider forum and use the code INMATE at checkout, you get 10% off. It's a tightly focused LED light that you can aim directly in your lane so you don't blind others. Light output is 1500 lumens...about the same as a halogen headlight bulb, but it only consumes about 7W of power.

ADV Monster has quite a few LED auxiliary lights for sale to just about fit any need. The customer service is great as well. An no, I'm not an employee...just one of many satisfied customers.

Chris

I used Clearwater Kristas on my RT and was pleased with their performance but they are pricey. I'm fine with the OEM fogs on my GSA. Not very effective for illumination but great for daytime visibility (I don't ride much at night any more). Whatever you choose, think about mounting them so you get a triangle appearance, two low and well separated and your headlight at the top

The triangle effect is certainly visible. I took a different approach on my previous bike and mounted my Model 30s under the mirrors. Mounting them high, allowed me to aim them farther out and down so the light pattern was just at the edge of the low beam headlight pattern...without blinding anyone.

The question is if you are mounting auxiliary lights to be seen...or to see. And with the additional lights up high, you still can be seen.

Chris

I'm fine with the OEM fogs on my GSA. Not very effective for illumination but great for daytime visibility

Same here. The dealer people supposedly offered to help me acquire any lights out there, but then seemed to play dumb when it came to the details of wiring them. Also, the aftermarket items were all pricey. The BMW auxiliary lights feature a green symbol on the bike's dash to let you know with certainty if they are on or not. I went with the BMW lights primarily for conspicuity and I'm happy with them. There apparently is a spot in the bike's wiring to just plug in the aux lights. And the dealer has to activate them through the bike's computer.

Harry

Lights

I went with the PIAA L-270 Led's. Mounted them on engine protection bars. Kit come with all needed for hook up. Just need a trigger wire. Used 7.5 fused wire under driver seat for that.
They are bright. To me, they sever 2 fold. Day X, Plus really light up the road at night.

Also, the aftermarket items were all pricey.

When I checked on the BMW lights, I did not consider them cheap :)
By the time you buy the lights, wire harness, hardware and light switch, you are over $750.

I had Clearwater lights installed at the St Paul rally. You can see into next month with them. Not cheap, but extremely effective. Clearwater has signed up many BMW dealers to offer them and install them. Worth checking out

bob

When I checked on the BMW lights, I did not consider them cheap :)
By the time you buy the lights, wire harness, hardware and light switch, you are over $750.
I did a side by side comparison of some Denali D2 lights and the ADV Monster Model 30 lights. Before my friend and I did a side by side comparison, a rep from I believe Twisted Throttle was saying a direct lumen comparison wasn't accurate. That the Denali lights were still brighter. So my friend and I went out to a dark flat parking lot and did a side by side comparison. Visually, it was clearly evident that the ADV Monster lights were brighter. I also used my Canon DSLR to take pictures with the settings set to manual so the camera couldn't adjust for the different brightness levels. The difference was clear in the pictures too.

You'll find all the pieces to assemble your own kit at ADVMonster.com. He stocks not only the lights, but brackets, indicator lights, rheostats for dimming, etc.

Sanjoh, the owner, has his own thread (64 pages as of today) on LED Lights on ADV Rider. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/advmonster-led-headlight.976505/ You can look through there for the enthusiastic following he has for his products, if you're wondering about quality.

Again, I have no affiliation with his company. I'm just a satisfied customer who likes to pass on what I find are "good deals". :)

Chris

I did a side by side comparison of some Denali D2 lights and the ADV Monster Model 30 lights. Before my friend and I did a side by side comparison, a rep from I believe Twisted Throttle was saying a direct lumen comparison wasn't accurate. That the Denali lights were still brighter. So my friend and I went out to a dark flat parking lot and did a side by side comparison. Visually, it was clearly evident that the ADV Monster lights were brighter. I also used my Canon DSLR to take pictures with the settings set to manual so the camera couldn't adjust for the different brightness levels. The difference was clear in the pictures too.
Chris

You've peaked my interest Chris. You mention having comparo images of the Denali next to the ADV Monster 30's. Can you share those images?

Thanks.

The triangle effect is certainly visible. I took a different approach on my previous bike and mounted my Model 30s under the mirrors. Mounting them high, allowed me to aim them farther out and down so the light pattern was just at the edge of the low beam headlight pattern...without blinding anyone.

The question is if you are mounting auxiliary lights to be seen...or to see. And with the additional lights up high, you still can be seen.

Chris

Have lights for both on my GSA. Being seen is more important to me as seeing far at night these days. Found out I had a bad habit of outdriving my better judgement with higher candlepower , now I ease up if after hours happens.

We have one set of yellow PIAAs mounted next to headlight on blinker stalks on a R11R, from a distance it still appears as one large beam. I dislike the set up, but it was a freebie and have not changed it...yet.

Just for background, these comparison shots were taken in a parking lot with two Honda NT700Vs parked side by side. The camera used is a Canon EOS SL1. F-stop and shutter speed were kept the same to make the pictures comparable.

The other bike had Denali D2s. My bike had ADVMonster Model 30s. Per the specs on the Revzilla web page, the Denali D2 puts out 828 lumens. Per the specs on the ADVMonster web page, the Model 30 puts out almost double at 1500 lumens.

Here's the pics:

Low beam with Denali D2
CNT 2 Low Beam and Denali Lights IMG_1258.jpg

Low beam with ADV Monster Model 30
D 2 Low Beam and M30 IMG_1262.jpg

I thought for the price the Model 30's where worth buying, so I ordered some today, along with the Denali Aux mounting bracket from Revzilla that puts them up under the turn-signals.
Having just seen the images you posted, they certainly are brighter in the short distance, and seem to aimed down which I am guessing is why they cut off so abruptly? However, as with other optics the lens and reflectors make the light, so I'm hoping they will extend out as far as they claim for other spots in their series, which seems to be as far as the Denali DX, and all at a third of the price.

Great customer service so far, I'll update when I get them fitted.

Thanks for the referral

Last edited:
I made a bracket and mounted the Model 30's under the mirrors. That put them just a bit higher than the headlight. The objective in my mind, was to aim them as far out as possible...and down...so I wouldn't blind oncoming drivers (especially the LEOs!).

IMG_1174.jpg

Here's the switch and bracket I used. Two views.

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

Back