• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rear Flange Recall - BMW "Technical Campaign"

This technical campaign is now officially a recall, number 15V141. You can view and download the relevant documents from the NHTSA web site at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues. In the box near the bottom of the page, click on "ID Number" in the shaded portion on the left. Check the "Recalls" box, type in the recall number and click on "Go." On the subsequent page click on "2 Associated Documents" and links will appear below the recall description.

Thanks for the documents Karl.

More info on this- BMW is recalling some 43,426 bikes built between 2005 and 2011 to replace a rear wheel flange that may crack if the mounting bolts are overtightened.

In a post on The Yankee Beemer Forum
OM

Rear Flange Recall - BMW "Technical Campaign"

Maybe repeating... This is the email that came the other day from NHTSA...

Subject: Recall notice from NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation

You are receiving this message because you have requested to be notified if there is a safety recall regarding Vehicles from NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation.

Please click on the following NHTSA Campaign ID links to view the recall information.
NHTSA Campaign ID Number :15V141
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners...getCategory=R&searchCriteria.nhtsa_ids=15V141
Manufacturer :BMW of North America, LLC
Make / Model Years :BMW / 2005-2011
Subject :Rear Wheel Mounting Flange may Crack
Thank you,

Recalls Subscription Team
Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT)

Please follow one of these links to update your profile or unsubscribe.
To file a vehicle safety-related complaint, please go online to our File a Complaint web page, or call us toll-free at 1-888-327-4236.

To find out more about NHTSA, please go to the Safercar.gov website or call our Vehicle Safety Hotline toll-free at 1-888-327-4236.

Our Privacy Policy can be found at this web page.

If you have questions regarding these e-mails, please go to the NHTSA Contact web page.

This is a system-generated e-mail. Do NOT respond to the sender of this e-mail.

Last edited:
Diy

I called BMW Customer Service today to check that my K1200S was in the database and registered in my name and address. Knowledgeable person answered and I asked her if I could install the new flange myself. It was my option she said, although I would have to purchase the OEM part and have a dealer inspect the install.

She was a tad bit hesitant about the self install...but stuck to her story. After reading the 'how to' article in the recent ON magazine, I would have given it a try. But I'm not passing up 'free'.

The DOT site lists the flange issue as a safety recall and as far as RT's are concerned it covers 2005-2010 model years. Does this mean later models were redisgned or that the issue hasn't appeared yet on later model years?
Such a joy riding an over engineered German product versus a dependable Japanese product.
Just kidding I still love riding my 2011 RT.

OK, a potentially controversial question. If I have the Al wheel flange on my bike, is the replacement "required" in any case, or is it only if there are cracks? I have an appointment, mine is going in this evening to have this checked plus the ubiquitous failed fuel sensor replacement. Service advisor told me that they inspect the flange, replace only if there are cracks. The recall notice I saw in NHTSA website seemed to indicate that replacement is indicated in any case of the Al flange.

This may be interesting... At least for me. Thanks, regards,

Marty

OK, a potentially controversial question. If I have the Al wheel flange on my bike, is the replacement "required" in any case, or is it only if there are cracks? I have an appointment, mine is going in this evening to have this checked plus the ubiquitous failed fuel sensor replacement. Service advisor told me that they inspect the flange, replace only if there are cracks. The recall notice I saw in NHTSA website seemed to indicate that replacement is indicated in any case of the Al flange.

Marty

I think BMW-NA has instructed the dealers to only replace the cracked units for now, as there maybe a limited supply available.
But that is just my thinking. But eventually all of them need to be replaced.

Marty

Here is what the NHTSA web site says the remedy is: "BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the existing aluminum rear wheel flange with a steel one, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin April 21, 2015. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417."

I think they all have to be replaced, and should be.
It's a defective part.
Free is good as long as they do not screw anything else up when they are installing the new flange. Otherwise do it yourself is better.
dc

I was at my dealer yesterday for tires on my '07 R1200R. The tech inspected the flange, found no cracking and told me that BMW says that at that point, you are good to go for another 6,000 miles.

I was at my dealer yesterday for tires on my '07 R1200R. The tech inspected the flange, found no cracking and told me that BMW says that at that point, you are good to go for another 6,000 miles.

I would immediately complain to NHTSA. The recall says "replace", not inspect.

I would immediately complain to NHTSA. The recall says "replace", not inspect.

Totally agree...I guess we all need to take a copy of the recall wording with us. Somewhere the message got lost in this case or misread by someone.:banghead

... The tech inspected the flange, found no cracking and told me that BMW says that at that point, you are good to go for another 6,000 miles.

This response, as has been pointed out previously, seems consistent with guidance from BMW. Perhaps the issue is with current supply of replacements on-hand and trying to address the worst (i.e., cracked flanges) issues first. From the MOA website is the following -

An email from BMW ... goes on to say that uncracked flanges with properly torqued bolts are safe to ride until the recall service can be performed. The recall service will involve the replacement of the flange with a "more robust part."

Link -

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/221511/BMW-to-issue-rear-wheel-flange-recall-on-43K-bikes.htm

This response, as has been pointed out previously, seems consistent with guidance from BMW. Perhaps the issue is with current supply of replacements on-hand and trying to address the worst (i.e., cracked flanges) issues first. From the MOA website is the following -

An email from BMW ... goes on to say that uncracked flanges with properly torqued bolts are safe to ride until the recall service can be performed. The recall service will involve the replacement of the flange with a "more robust part."

Link -

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/221511/BMW-to-issue-rear-wheel-flange-recall-on-43K-bikes.htm

Then that policy should be fully explained to the owner, and an appointment or call back should be arranged. One of these days one will actually break and dump the rider. How many ways can the word negligence be spelled. I am completely disgusted with how haphazard some modern dealerships seem to be. Maybe the word crappy is a better description.

If the articles in the Owners News and MCN are accurate, then the dealer is not being given a choice about whether or not to R&R the flange, or even to say "you're good for another 6K". That's a brush-off, since the service department can make more money doing customer-paid work than doing warranty work.

"...the rear wheel flange will be replaced free of charge as a precaution..."

I just received the recall notice in the mail today. There is nothing in the letter stating that the dealer will inspect the flange and not replace if cracks are not found.

It states: "The aluminum rear wheel flange will be replaced with a steel version." The actual repair may take up to two hours; however additional time may be required depending on the BMW dealer's schedule.
This work will be performed free of charge by your authorized BMW Motorcycle dealer."

There may be some misunderstanding with individual dealers, but the letter doesn't leave any question about whether the flange will be replaced or left alone depending on the condition of the flange.

Letter leaves no doubt

Received the letter today. In bold, capitalized letters it states, "CONTACT YOUR AUTHORIZED BMW MOTORCYCLE DEALER IMMEDIATELY TO HAVE THE NECESSARY REPAIR WORK PERFORMED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE." There isn't an option for inspection and ride away for another 6,000.

Good luck!

Received the letter today. In bold, capitalized letters it states, "CONTACT YOUR AUTHORIZED BMW MOTORCYCLE DEALER IMMEDIATELY TO HAVE THE NECESSARY REPAIR WORK PERFORMED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE." There isn't an option for inspection and ride away for another 6,000.

Good luck!

Same letter I received today. Line 2 states, "If you detect a wobble when cornering and the tire pressures are correctly set, then this issue may be occurring. Carefully move away from traffic and pull over to a safe location as soon as possible. Do not continue to ride your motorcycle. You may contact BMW Motorcycle Roadside Assistance at 1-877-680 2176 to have your motorcycle brought to the nearest authorized BMW dealer." So I guess if you see cracks, call them for the free transport. For me it is a 127 mile trip each way.

Makes no sense to present your bike, for any reason, during this action and not have them replace the potentially defect flange. Just because one can't detect a crack doesn't mean there isn't one there. That's why they are recalling ALL bikes within the potentially defective group. My brother has appointment to have his replaced next Tuesday. Dealer didn't need to inspect for cracks first....it's a go in and have it REPLACED action.

Back