• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rear Flange Recall - BMW "Technical Campaign"

Isn't that what the link in the OP claims why they will replace them now?

No it's not a RECALL , however it is a technical campaign... same result for owners of these models...which we have 5 of.
Had to chuckle at the article where BMW said only happens with improper maintenance. Really? What maintenance is anyone going to perform on the rotor mounts unless a rotor gets changed? Original rotor on my RT "back in the day" and never touched. How about improper torque at factory installation?

Yeah I think the "factory" broke a lot of spark plugs hammering stick coils on, too.

"Process improvement" improvement opportunities ... although certainly not same significance.

I'm not at all sure NHTSA lists recalls that are initiated by and voluntary on the part of the manufacturer.

Actually, most recalls are initiated by the manufacturer. Only in special cases, where the manufacturer fails to act, does NHTSA force a recall. NHTSA assigns their tracking number when the manufacturer submits a Defect Notice.

BMW's service campaign could turn into a recall, as it has in Canada. According to Motorcycle Mojo, a Canadian motorcycle magazine, "BMW Motorrad Canada, in cooperation with Transport Canada will initiate an official recall relating to this technical campaign, and begin notifying owners of BMW R and K models in the coming weeks. We expect the recall to be posted on Transport Canada’s website later this week." (http://www.motorcyclemojo.com/2015/03/bmw-recalls-5343-units-in-canada/) If I remember correctly, Canada came out ahead of the US on the fuel pump flange recall.

Called BMW today and they had no info

Called BMW customer relations today and they had no info on the recall. Also call South Seas Cycles in Honolulu and they had no info as yet either. :scratch

Called BMW customer relations today and they had no info on the recall. Also call South Seas Cycles in Honolulu and they had no info as yet either. :scratch

Sad as it is, the dealers are always the last to know anything.

I've seen where Canada is more proactive than the US...sometimes the recalls are listed there first. This seems to be one of those cases.

I've seen where Canada is more proactive than the US...sometimes the recalls are listed there first. This seems to be one of those cases.

Being Canadian, I'd like us to be right up there being proactive. But, I'm a bit skeptical...

On the other hand, I do think BMW Canada was right there with the replacement of switchgear on RTs, even if out of warranty I believe.

If this is a trend, it's a good one. The motorcycle market in Canada is very small and the head offices of every make are generally hated!

Seems likely Canada has different rules. In the USA there has to be a safety or emissions problem.

These flanges have been cracking for a decade now and there's never even been a report of an accident on any forums I'm aware of, let alone injuries or fatalities. I suspect NHTSA's file is pretty small.

As for fuel strips, I think it will be when pigs fly that anyone seriously considers that a safety problem.

Since cynicism is rampant, consider this: Wall Street Journal or somebody like that recently published an article to the effect GM dealers kind of like the ignition switch recall because it's bringing lots of owners to their shops where they can demonstrate their friendliness, competence, or whatever and maybe sell some additional services. Perhaps we can look at this BMW action as a visit dealer service promotion.

You're probably correct, but several automobile manufacturers, including BMW, have recalled cars for faulty fuel gauge readings.

The question is whether the government forced it.

It's for sure a PR problem and voluntary action seems obvious.

Kent,

I believe the fuel gauge recalls I referred to were all initiated by the manufacturers. As I said in an earlier post, most recalls are initiated by the manufacturers. NHTSA very rarely has to force a recall.

Kent,

I believe the fuel gauge recalls I referred to were all initiated by the manufacturers. As I said in an earlier post, most recalls are initiated by the manufacturers. NHTSA very rarely has to force a recall.

The process by which NHTSA encourages recalls is interesting. They actually lack the ability to order a recall. They engage in dialogue with manufacturers aimed at encouraging a recall. If the manufacturer disagrees and refuses to initiate a recall the recourse available to the NHTSA is to take the company to court - an administrative law judge I believe - but to court nonetheless.

According to the information I've received, this will be a recall and it'll kick off some time in April. Dealers received an email last week with some preliminary information, and IMO if your dealer doesn't know anything about it by now, they're not reading their email. It affects over 43,000 bikes in the US, 23,000 in the UK & about 400,000 worldwide.

There's a story about this up on the MOA News site (direct link: http://bmwmoa.site-ym.com/news/221511/BMW-to-issue-rear-wheel-flange-recall-on-43K-bikes.htm) and there will be a more thorough tech article in the May issue of Owners' News.

Windows 7, link takes me to a page, but using Chrome or Internet Explorer, the text is cut off on the right, and some images do not display. Resizing text makes no difference.
error.png

Seems to be OK with Firefox.

The process by which NHTSA encourages recalls is interesting. They actually lack the ability to order a recall. They engage in dialogue with manufacturers aimed at encouraging a recall. If the manufacturer disagrees and refuses to initiate a recall the recourse available to the NHTSA is to take the company to court - an administrative law judge I believe - but to court nonetheless.

From the NHTSA site

The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (originally enacted in 1966 and now recodified as 49 U.S.C. Chapter 301) gives the Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) the authority to issue vehicle safety standards and to require manufacturers to recall vehicles that have safety-related defects or do not meet Federal safety standards. Since then, more than 390 million cars, trucks, buses, recreational vehicles, motorcycles, and mopeds, as well as 46 million tires, 66 million pieces of motor vehicle equipment, and 42 million child safety seats have been recalled to correct safety defects.

Manufacturers voluntarily initiate many of these recalls, while others are either influenced by NHTSA investigations or ordered by NHTSA via the courts. If a safety defect is discovered, the manufacturer must notify NHTSA, as well as vehicle or equipment owners, dealers, and distributors. The manufacturer is then required to remedy the problem at no charge to the owner. NHTSA is responsible for monitoring the manufacturer’s corrective action to ensure successful completion of the recall campaign.

p.s. the link to the home page sort of works on iPad and Safari

This technical campaign is now officially a recall, number 15V141. You can view and download the relevant documents from the NHTSA web site at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues. In the box near the bottom of the page, click on "ID Number" in the shaded portion on the left. Check the "Recalls" box, type in the recall number and click on "Go." On the subsequent page click on "2 Associated Documents" and links will appear below the recall description.

Back