• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1250RS top case

Does anyone here have the BMW 30 liter top case on a R1250RS. I'm interested in your opinions of it and also the interior dimensions. Trying to determine if my "work" laptop and associated devices would fit. My "home" laptop fits in a saddlebag but the "work" one is too long.

I like the 30 liter box because of the small size.
I can't check the inside dimensions until tonight.
What's the length and width of the laptop?
The GS Vario top box will fit the rack and may work better for commuting.

I love the look of the OEM top case, it blends well with the bike but fairly costly, my personal preference is aftermarket but it's a personal decision..

The laptop is 9.5 by 14.5 inches

When I cut a piece of cardboard I could not lay it in flat.
I had to slope it to fit and that's not efficient use of the space.

20220627_180857.jpg

20220627_180917.jpg

Here's a few pictures of a Vario top box on a RS if that would work better for you.
Vario box on RS.jpg

Vario Top Box @ Engles (1).jpg

Vario Top Box @ Engles (3).jpg

From the picture the 30 L looks a little iffy. Not really too worried about efficient use of space, on a commute won't be carrying a lot.

Having the sidecar really spoiled me for being able to carry stuff.

From the picture the 30 L looks a little iffy. Not really too worried about efficient use of space, on a commute won't be carrying a lot.

Having the sidecar really spoiled me for being able to carry stuff.[/QUOTE/]

I have the small case (I think it's actually billed as "29L"). I have a Dell Inspiron 1300 2-in-1 that I carry in it when traveling. I put my Frogg Toggs rainsuit in the bottom for padding, then put the Dell on top to the rainsuit. The Dell lays flat in the topbox, on the rainsuit, and I have room around it (and on top of it) for a few other odds'n'ends I carry in the case, such as spare sunglasses, gloves, patchkit, and aircompressor. I usually still have room to put in a few small gifts for the wife (makes it easier to get away for the next adventure!)

Of course, YMMV.

The 29 liter RT top case is not the same as the 30 liter RS and R Wethead top case.

I stand corrected on the case size, but my Dell tablet fits nicely into my smaller 29L case, when packed as described in my message above. And I use a sleeve with my tablet, too. My sleeve measures 10 x 14. If I didn't want to carry my Frogg Toggs with me for padding, I'd cut a piece of foam to fit the bottom so my tablet would fit flat in the topbox.

Just my 2cents.

Back