• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Is the 2023 R1250RS Really "Ready for Reverse Gear Shift Pattern"?

bkkjack

Apologies if this has been discussed. I tried to use the search function, but couldn't even get close to any threads where this was the subject. I took delivery of my bike on 30 June. As a former track day rider - have the plates and pins in my collarbone to prove it - I became very accustomed to an inverted shift pattern. When I saw in the configurator that this bike was "ready for reverse gear shift pattern," I was really looking forward to swapping it so it would match my other bike.

When I took it in for its initial service, I asked them to change it for me. Whatever BMW tech was working that day said it couldn't be done. Hmmph. I went home and checked my files. Sure enough, the BMW website says it can be done. On my next visit to the dealer, I showed them a printout of the screenshot I had. The service writer said I should contact BMW Customer Service, so I sent them an email. Today I got a very unsatisfactory response. They punted back to the dealer with a bunch of crap of how highly trained their techs were and they were the ones who would know.

I'm going to contact a couple other dealers in the area, and also throw it back at my dealer and ask them to contact corporate to see if they can get a straight answer. In the meantime, I thought I'd also submit this to the hive mind. Does anyone know anything about this? Even better if someone has done it. If it truly can't happen, I'll have to find the parts in my bin to flip the pattern back to normal on my other bike, because the metal in my body reminds me daily that I'm not nearly as good a rider as I think I am.

TIA

53101320749_2141a22b19_b.jpg

That photo shows a 2024, but it was also included on the 2023 and is shown in my configuration on page 5 with #SSEQ127, if that means anything to anyone.

My guess is misprint . When I ordered my 23 it was listed ready for it , but once I got it home looking at the arm and potentiometer there does not appear to be room to reverse the arm . I've also searched with no success as I ran GP shift for a long time and its best for the mountains or track days .

Notice the 2024 said it has M kit and light weight battery and winglets . Its all stuff from the M series bikes or S1000RR

My guess is misprint . When I ordered my 23 it was listed ready for it , but once I got it home looking at the arm and potentiometer there does not appear to be room to reverse the arm . I've also searched with no success as I ran GP shift for a long time and its best for the mountains or track days .

Notice the 2024 said it has M kit and light weight battery and winglets . Its all stuff from the M series bikes or S1000RR

There certainly doesn't seem to be any easy - or even moderately difficult - way to to it. To reverse the shift on my 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, I had to get a kit from Woodcraft. I'm going to call around a bit, but it appears I'll have to dive into the parts bin and see if I can find the OEM linkage for the Triumph and go back to standard on that bike.

Last night I was riding home on the BMW and came up to hard right. I had clear road, so I thought I'd have a little fun. I charged into it a bit in 4th, braked a little late, clicked back 2 gears, and...came out of the corner in 6th. :(

I definitely need to retrain the brain.

There certainly doesn't seem to be any easy - or even moderately difficult - way to to it. To reverse the shift on my 2013 Triumph Street Triple R, I had to get a kit from Woodcraft. I'm going to call around a bit, but it appears I'll have to dive into the parts bin and see if I can find the OEM linkage for the Triumph and go back to standard on that bike.

Last night I was riding home on the BMW and came up to hard right. I had clear road, so I thought I'd have a little fun. I charged into it a bit in 4th, braked a little late, clicked back 2 gears, and...came out of the corner in 6th. :(

I definitely need to retrain the brain.

Yep it takes awhile . My wife and I both ran GP for a long time and she learned on GP so it was a real change for her when the new Tiger 900GT was standard .
I got the Tiger to do reverse with a few minor mods , but when we added the quick shifter the ECU could not function . Triumph , and my dealer attempted to but it was never intended to be set that way . I have limited ankle movement so the push down to row through gears is better for my injury .

Thank you for your service Marine :nra two sons / Airframer , and a FO

I noticed the reverse shift announcement also. I looked at my '23 and the shift mechanism is the same since the introduction of the wethead R1200R and RS. Misprint. Maybe the S1000?

Frank

Yep it takes awhile . My wife and I both ran GP for a long time and she learned on GP so it was a real change for her when the new Tiger 900GT was standard .
I got the Tiger to do reverse with a few minor mods , but when we added the quick shifter the ECU could not function . Triumph , and my dealer attempted to but it was never intended to be set that way . I have limited ankle movement so the push down to row through gears is better for my injury .

Thank you for your service Marine :nra two sons / Airframer , and a FO

OOHRAH! It was my honor and pleasure.

Back