• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cleaning/Polishing Products

This certainly isn't specific to BMW's (far from it). And, technically, it doesn't fall under "Gear". But I wasn't sure where else to post this. I'm sure that everyone has their own favorite products for cleaning and polishing their cherished machines. But I thought that I would see what the rest of the world likes:

What are your go-to products? I have used Sprayway glass cleaner for decades. Long before the home improvement stores and grocery store chains began selling it, a friend of mine worked at an auto dealership. That was probably forty years ago that he turned me on to the stuff. I used it on darn near everything: Gas tanks, side covers, fenders, mirrors, etc. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it should not be used on painted surfaces. But that warning does not appear on the label and I have always done just that. Another of my favorite products is Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax. That stuff is fantastic, IMO. It's the cat's meow for painted surfaces, it's widely available at auto parts stores, is easy to use, isn't outrageously expensive, and it smells good, too (try it).

I've had my R1250RS for a month and it only has 220 miles so far. The bike has a lot of plastic. The few times that I've had to clean it, the Sprayway has done perfectly well. I was just curious as to what the BMW world likes to use to keep their machines looking pretty.

I agree with you on both those products and use them myself.
I’ve also been very pleased using cleaners, waxes, and supplies from Jay Leno’s Garage line of products. Nothing but good experiences with JLG products. Great quality.

I agree with you on both those products and use them myself.
I’ve also been very pleased using cleaners, waxes, and supplies from Jay Leno’s Garage line of products. Nothing but good experiences with JLG products. Great quality.

Thanks, VW! I'll have to check out JLG products. I'm not familiar with them.

Soap and water to clean, bug and tar remover on wheels, Mother’s California Gold Brazilian Carnauba Wax on painted surfaces and the windscreen. I have the mothers spray wax that doesn't get used often. Sometimes I'll use it if a little gas gets onto the tank when filling as a touch up in a small area.

Paste wax on the screen [ both sides ] is great in the rain, beads off quite well and the screen is easy to wipe down with a wet micro fiber followed by a dry microfiber.

I forgot to mention my go-to for general cleaning/washing:

ZEP All-in-1 Premium Pressure Wash.

I've been using this stuff for years, both with and without pressure washing. Home Depot used to carry it but, at least locally, they stopped stocking it several years ago. ZEP still makes it. I found a 4x 1-gallon box on Amazon for about $30. I use it for everything: Car and motorcycle washing, house washing, deck washing (mixed with bleach). It's very gentle, cleans like crazy, and it's cheap. A gallon will last me for a year or more.

Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax and Meguiar's Ultimate detail spray, wont turn black plastic white. Also use Meguiar's back to black. For shield lots of water and then Invisible Glass. S100 for cleaning with light auto wash soap.

I have used Sprayway glass cleaner for decades. Long before the home improvement stores and grocery store chains began selling it, a friend of mine worked at an auto dealership. That was probably forty years ago that he turned me on to the stuff. I used it on darn near everything: Gas tanks, side covers, fenders, mirrors, etc. I seem to recall reading somewhere that it should not be used on painted surfaces. But that warning does not appear on the label and I have always done just that. Another of my favorite products is Meguiar's Cleaner/Wax. That stuff is fantastic, IMO. It's the cat's meow for painted surfaces, it's widely available at auto parts stores, is easy to use, isn't outrageously expensive, and it smells good, too (try it).

Been using Mequiar's Cleaner wax for years. When I was still working we had Sprayway available to us to clean our truck windows and it worked good. The cleaning people usually didn't do windows so I would use it a couple times a year to clean the office windows.
At home for a long time I used Eagle One 20/20 Glass Cleaner for our car and house windows but they must have stopped making it because I can no longer find it.
For a quick detailer I like Wash Wax All. It's a easy to use quick detailer, plus it really eats bugs. It can be used on all surfaces plus the windshield.
https://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Ounces-Aircraft-Motorcycle-Anywhere/dp/B00X04JRMU

https://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Wa...ve&sprefix=wash+wax+all,automotive,142&sr=1-5

Last edited:
I've used S100 for 35 years or so with great success. Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel cleaner is the best wheel cleaner I've ever used and even gets the brake dust off of a snowflake wheel. I like Plexus for plastic polish and use Griot's Ceramic 3 in 1 spray for protecting paint. Griot's rubber care products will do a nice job of cleaning your tires and making them have a nice satin finish without making them slippery.

I have a series of textile things I use. The drying towels are pretty terrific; you just drag them over your wet vehicle like a bullfighter with a cape and it leaves a perfectly dry surface behind.

For glass cleaner, I use some spray stuff from Sprayway and for polishing chrome and metal, I like NevRDull. For buildup of crud, like where the vent on my /2 puts a little oil mist on the front right of the motor, I use some Zep Citrus degreaser, which doesn't leave marks on the aluminum, but removes the oily mist.

But S100 is is pretty fine. Just be careful about letting it dry and on older airheads, it can make some of the satin black painted surfaces dull if you're not careful with it.

For cleaning parts, particularly carbs, I have an $80 Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner. I use PineSol in it and the carbs come out looking like new. Same for fasteners, getting the grease out of sockets and the like. That thing, the ultrasonic, is a major force multiplier.

I use S100 for general cleaning. For painted surfaces I apply two coats of Chemical Guys JetSeal, a paint sealer. I don't bother with wax as the paint sealer lasts all year and waxing is a hopeless battle for a GSA home based in a county where 90% of our roads are dirt or mud depending on conditions. And to be honest, I like riding much more than cleaning so anything I can do to speed up the process is a win.

For the windscreen I apply Lemon Pledge; it makes cleaning much easier as nothing seems to stick. Their wipes do a good job and pack flat and out of the way on long trips

Over our long winters - when all is locked up in snow and ice - each bike is completely torn down for a thorough cleaning and inspection. It keeps me sane till things thaw.

Pete

Last edited:
Next month will mark 49 years since I got my first motorcycle. Except for the period 1997-2001, I've owned at least one and as many as three. I can't believe that I was not familiar with S100. As a matter of fact, I had never even heard of it before. I'd say that I need to get with the program. Better late than never, right?

I am one of those obsessive clean bike freaks, not that there's anything wrong with that... :rocker

I pretty much only use products from Griot's Garage. Their detergents and cleaners get the job done easily and are kind to the paint and plastics. I have become a fan of their 3-in-1 Ceramic Spray Wax products, and Ceramic Speed Shine for quick post-ride cleanups.

For the windscreen and helmet visor I use the Cee Bailey's windscreen cleaner, with Dupont Solara disposable wipe sheets. Every once in a while I will use the Griot's Plastic Polish product on the windscreen or visor.

I am one of those obsessive clean bike freaks, not that there's anything wrong with that... :rocker

I pretty much only use products from Griot's Garage. Their detergents and cleaners get the job done easily and are kind to the paint and plastics. I have become a fan of their 3-in-1 Ceramic Spray Wax products, and Ceramic Speed Shine for quick post-ride cleanups.

For the windscreen and helmet visor I use the Cee Bailey's windscreen cleaner, with Dupont Solara disposable wipe sheets. Every once in a while I will use the Griot's Plastic Polish product on the windscreen or visor.

That Ceramic 3 in 1 is pretty amazing, isn't it? Stuff just doesn't stick to it. I use it on my car and the water, even mist or dew, just beads right up. It seems to keep bugs from sticking to my bikes, and if I use it on the wheels of my car, brake dust largely just rinses off.

I've been trying their ceramic window cleaner and it's OK, but I don't know that's it's necessarily "great".

What are your go-to products?

Usually commercial products that work. I just have very little use for grossly over-priced, highly advertized specialty products.

Swish Facto AT30, a water based degreaser that I have used since 1986, previously known as Indo-505.

Polishing products: the Professional Line (tan bottles) from Meguiar's for my car and motorcycles.

For screens: Lemon Pledge.

For windows: Stoner Invisible Glass. Other Stoner products: Xenit Cleaner & Remover and Tarminator.

Tar specks usually stuck to hot surfaces: WD40.

"S100" for the cleaning spray it on, let it sit but not dry, rinse it off.

The original "Honda Polish" spray for the painted panels and the windscreen ( I have six cans left). I use it to clean between washings, dissolved bugs, leaves a nice shine.

"Pig Spit" to clean and restore any black plastic or the black on the engine.

41oYbwl0HVL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Back