• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R100RS - top box mount - Ideas Wanted!!

maxpete

Hi All:

I have an '83 R100RS with the stock dual seat that has the cute, but rather useless, little carrier rack. I also have a nice Honda GL1100 top box that I would like to attach to the bike (yeah, I know - sacrilege).

Last year I worked out a mounting system and a buddy 3-D printed some little brackets that neatly adapted the Honda box to the little BMW seat rack and I took one trip with it (I even put a big BMW roundel on the box - and it looks pretty good, if I do say so myself - see att. photos).

However, even though I only kept a few lightweight items in the box and it rode along smoothly, the whole rig seemed a tad heavy for that winky little rack. Also, the rack is attached to the seat and not to the actual frame of the bike (to which top-boxes are normally mounted). This means that all the weight of the box is on the seat frame and also, whenever I open the seat, the box swings up with it - and that is a pain. The main reason I wanted the box was to carry a bit of rain gear (not heavy stuff) and also to have a place to put my jacket and gloves when we stopped for sight-seeing / meals etc. and so much of time it is nearly empty.

Anyway, does anyone have a good photo or two of a sturdy but neat frame-mounted top-box mount for an R100RS that I could look at for inspiration/ideas - or does anyone know of such a mount that is commercially available?

Pete

Attachments

• Mount brackets.jpg
    Mount brackets.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 142
  • Honda GL1100 Top Box_inside mounting plate_attached.jpg
    Honda GL1100 Top Box_inside mounting plate_attached.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 141
  • WKRMC_bikes - Northern Ont - June-2022.jpg
    WKRMC_bikes - Northern Ont - June-2022.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 151
Trunk

Hi All:

I have an '83 R100RS with the stock dual seat that has the cute, but rather useless, little carrier rack. I also have a nice Honda GL1100 top box that I would like to attach to the bike (yeah, I know - sacrilege).

Last year I worked out a mounting system and a buddy 3-D printed some little brackets that neatly adapted the Honda box to the little BMW seat rack and I took one trip with it (I even put a big BMW roundel on the box - and it looks pretty good, if I do say so myself - see att. photos).

However, even though I only kept a few lightweight items in the box and it rode along smoothly, the whole rig seemed a tad heavy for that winky little rack. Also, the rack is attached to the seat and not to the actual frame of the bike (to which top-boxes are normally mounted). This means that all the weight of the box is on the seat frame and also, whenever I open the seat, the box swings up with it - and that is a pain. The main reason I wanted the box was to carry a bit of rain gear (not heavy stuff) and also to have a place to put my jacket and gloves when we stopped for sight-seeing / meals etc. and so much of time it is nearly empty.

Anyway, does anyone have a good photo or two of a sturdy but neat frame-mounted top-box mount for an R100RS that I could look at for inspiration/ideas - or does anyone know of such a mount that is commercially available?

Pete

Hey that looks pretty good!

Is Reynolds still in business?
They used to make a rack that would pivot back allowing you to open the seat.
This would give you a strong rack to mount your top box on.

Thanks!

Hey that looks pretty good!

Thanks SKAG - much appreciated.

R100RSs aren't that common around here but I did have a guy on a K1600 do a doubletake in a parking lot when he saw the box on the back of my bike.

Pete

Reynolds trunk mounting rack

Is Reynolds still in business?
They used to make a rack that would pivot back allowing you to open the seat.
This would give you a strong rack to mount your top box on.

Hi Lee:
I searched but couldn't find anything about a rack from Reynolds - but if anyone has a photo of such a device, I'd be grateful.

I can do a fair bit of fabrication including welding and it would be great to have an idea to build on.

Pete

There is a folding Reynolds rack for R100 models with the cowling seat on the Adventure rider site in oldskool airhead parts for sale. It was posted on Saturday and is listed for $100.

The Reynolds rack for 1974 to 84 BMW RS/RT style models using the dual seat is #R-291. BUT I believe you also need the Reynolds side case racks to attach it to.

Sorry

Sorry, Reynolds went out of business years ago, the only way to find a rack from them is to look for a used one. St.

There is a folding Reynolds rack for R100 models with the cowling seat on the Adventure rider site in oldskool airhead parts for sale. It was posted on Saturday and is listed for $100.

I forgot I had to also change my bag mounts. It's probably going to be hard to find both used rack and bag mounts.

Here's a picture of my 84 with the standard seat.
84 RT (New).jpg

Custom seat with Reynolds rack.
84 RT Sept 1984.jpg

Many thanks ALL!

Reynolds is not in business...I think they got run out of business with some lawsuit threats way back when. Duane Ausherman has the brochure for Reynolds products here:

https://w6rec.com/reynolds-bmw-motorcycle-accessories/

The Reynolds rack for 1974 to 84 BMW RS/RT style models using the dual seat is #R-291. BUT I believe you also need the Reynolds side case racks to attach it to.

Sorry, Reynolds went out of business years ago, the only way to find a rack from them is to look for a used one. St.

Hi folks:
Many thanks to STEVENRANKIN, PAS, 81twins and 20774 for all the helpful information! The Reynolds brochure was particularly helpful - I now understand how their design worked with the bike's frame and other components.

I think I will fabricate a rack that is something like the Reynolds rack. The advert on AdvRider looked tempting but as I understand it, I would also need the Reynolds bag mounts and locating them might be a challenge.

When I get this thing built, I will post some photos on this thread so that others may also get some inspiration.

Cheers,

Pete

Take a look

Take a look at Siebenrock's website, they have racks similar to Reynolds perhaps close enough to what you want you wouldn't have to make one. St.

It's too bad your on the other side of the border. Years ago I bought that pivoting rack from someone that sawed the legs off. It's been in the garage for years and needs to go to a fabricator. I have no clue why I bought it!
rak-3.jpg

Nice rack!

:groovy
It's too bad your on the other side of the border. Years ago I bought that pivoting rack from someone that sawed the legs off. It's been in the garage for years and needs to go to a fabricator. I have no clue why I bought it!
View attachment 87143

Dang - this border COVID thingy is getting old!

Thanks for thinking of me!

Pete

Back