• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mounting a Camhead RT using the foot pegs

brownie0486

I know this has been discussed somewhere here in the past [ maybe not about the camhead rt's specifically ] but here's the question I'm a little perplexed about.

I'd LIKE to be able to mount using the left foot on the peg. Manual says that's a no no, but on the Adv forum, people state they've been doing so for years with no problems with the side stand or peg developing stress fractures or breaking.

Another there mentioned the side stand switch could be damaged doing so, others say hog wash. Some stated the stand isn't made to take that weight and another cam back with the stand is designed to hold the bike fully loaded [ max load without passengers ].

Hence the question, I want to use that peg [ I'm not too short to mount the bike but it's an effort to not kick the top box. Plus when loaded up on a trip with the 50L bag on the back seat, it's more than a little effort in my own circumstances.

Calling on the members brains to explain why it's a bad idea, why it's acceptable, why it'll break/stretch something to it's malfunction etc.

I've not done it to date, for fear of breaking the side stand or peg or a switch as another mentioned elsewhere.

Best advice based on experience, knowledge of mellalurgical [ sp ] reasons why it's okay or not okay to do so, etc etc. As an aside, I fluctuate between 180-185#'s.

Thanks in advance

I know this has been discussed somewhere here in the past [ maybe not about the camhead rt's specifically ] but here's the question I'm a little perplexed about.

I'd LIKE to be able to mount using the left foot on the peg. Manual says that's a no no, but on the Adv forum, people state they've been doing so for years with no problems with the side stand or peg developing stress fractures or breaking.

Another there mentioned the side stand switch could be damaged doing so, others say hog wash. Some stated the stand isn't made to take that weight and another cam back with the stand is designed to hold the bike fully loaded [ max load without passengers ].

Hence the question, I want to use that peg [ I'm not too short to mount the bike but it's an effort to not kick the top box. Plus when loaded up on a trip with the 50L bag on the back seat, it's more than a little effort in my own circumstances.

Calling on the members brains to explain why it's a bad idea, why it's acceptable, why it'll break/stretch something to it's malfunction etc.

I've not done it to date, for fear of breaking the side stand or peg or a switch as another mentioned elsewhere.

Best advice based on experience, knowledge of mellalurgical [ sp ] reasons why it's okay or not okay to do so, etc etc. As an aside, I fluctuate between 180-185#'s.

Thanks in advance

I usually use the RIGHT SIDE Foot peg as that is how most LEO's do it for safety and also takes the weight of the side stand.

I usually use the RIGHT SIDE Foot peg as that is how most LEO's do it for safety and also takes the weight of the side stand.

I've tried that suggestion in the past. Didn't feel that comfortable or natural, perhaps I need to speak to a motor cop that's been trained and using that skill daily.

I'll give it another go, eventually it should feel less natural.

I've tried that suggestion in the past. Didn't feel that comfortable or natural, perhaps I need to speak to a motor cop that's been trained and using that skill daily.

I'll give it another go, eventually it should feel less natural.

It fouls me up as well. One of the bikes is stored close to the (left side) wall and has to be mounted from the right.
At least I haven’t tipped it over yet. :doh

OM

Back