• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Questions From a Non K-bike Owner

That's the trouble with my damn keyboard!!! The 2 is right next to the 3. With my fat fingers.........:doh

You are absolutely correct. 643 Marakesh Red (I knew that):banghead

1990 are virtually identical to the 1988 models (they never made a 1989 S model. just sold left over 1988 Ss).

:dance:dance:dance

I know all about fat fingers Lee. Figured as much. Don't feel bad. Damned IBMs fault anyway...I think...somehow. Or maybe it was that Eastern European guy from the 19th centry...what was his name again... QWERTY?

:drink-

I know all about fat fingers Lee. Figured as much. Don't feel bad. Damned IBMs fault anyway...I think...somehow. Or maybe it was that Eastern European guy from the 19th centry...what was his name again... QWERTY?

:drink-

Querty Uiop was the guy I think.

His partner was Asdfg Hjkl. They were from North Slobovistan, I'm pretty sure.

Not hot

I've lived in Florida for more than 20 years and have never felt my K75S was a "hot" bike. The only concession I made to the heat was to remove the lower belly pan because I wanted to get more air around the engine and I (beauty being in the eye of the beholder) like the look of the bike with more motor exposed. The bike was repainted by the previous owner with a BMW automotive color "Montreal Blue". I like it!

Attachments

• K75Howey2.jpg
    K75Howey2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 151
Nice looking "S" Tom

Funny, I know others view the Belly Pan as a PIA, especially R&R but I really feel it's an important part of the aesthetic design and I made a big deal about keeping it on mine. I paid my painter to add the 3M clear adhesive strip to make it easier to clean off the bugs & road grime. I really do like the silver "brick" part of the engine.

I've lived in Florida for more than 20 years and have never felt my K75S was a "hot" bike. The only concession I made to the heat was to remove the lower belly pan because I wanted to get more air around the engine and I (beauty being in the eye of the beholder) like the look of the bike with more motor exposed. The bike was repainted by the previous owner with a BMW automotive color "Montreal Blue". I like it!

The K75S is not a hot bike. Neither is the K75C. Nor the K75T. Nor the many variants of the standard, high or low seat. But the K75RT, K100RT/LT and K1100LT are. We have had at least one of each of the above. It isn't even so much heat off the bike (which contributes) as it is the effectiveness of the fairing in creating a dead air space behind the fairing. Even two sets of Baker Air Wings failed to tame the K1100 beast.

His is #882. It was born almost a year later in March 1987. But it is still a beautiful example of a silver driveline '87 S.:thumb

Original K75S

Lee has it exactly - vin ends as 150882. It was sold out of Norcross Georgia - the dealership is now Blue Moon, but it was under a different owner and name in 1987. Originally it was silver - I don't know when it was repainted but the paint was reasonably well done. I have had the tank repainted since I have owned the bike and repainted the fairing myself last year.

Just a terrific bike. I've had an R69S (my first BMW) back in the day, and had a really nice R75/5 some years ago and a long time ago I had continuous access to an R90S which I drove for about a year. although I did not own it. I was babysitting it for a friend who was on extensive travel. But nothing has ever really compared to the K75S for me. I found it on the internet located in North Carolina and picked it up in Savannah, meeting the seller more or less 1/2 way between my home in Tampa Bay and his in Chapel Hill. I brought it home on the back of my old Nissan pick up. I don't plan on this bike ever leaving my possession. It just turned 50k miles in the past month or so,

Attachments

• K75Truck1.jpg
    K75Truck1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 244
Didn't want the bike to fall out?

Your meticulous attention to detail in transporting your new bike seems to have continued to your care of the bike over the years.:bow:bow:bow

Lee's comment is right on with my thoughts when I saw Tom's picture. Just looking at that photo you know that bike found a good home.

Greg's comments were some of the best I've seen regarding why these bikes have such appeal.

2001 K1200RS My ride

I came off a 2001 R1200 BMW cruiser with 62 HP and went to a very low milage 2001K1200RS. Its been tweaked to 147 HP.
I did the research and it was solid. This bike has super bike performance with style and comfort unlike a Jap crotch rocket. I ride with some Harley guys twice a year and its a blast to get a 1/4 mile ahead on the interstate while still in 3-4th gear.
I do get respect and looks on this bike. No regrets, rock on

Falling out?

Lee,

That's a good comment. Here's a fuinny story regarding the tie-down job:

At some point on the way home I stopped for fuel. As I was filling up a portly guy, suspenders, tee shirt, jeans, sort of good ol' boy guy came up and asked "is that your motorcycle?". I said yes it was.

He pointed overt to a gigantic tanker truck idling in the parking area of the service center. It was meticulously neat and shiny. He said "See that truck? That's my truck. I've been driving tanker trucks for 25 years and I got to tell you that that's the best god****mn tie down of a motorcycle I ever seen".

He then told me of the numerous times he had seem people ("amateurs") transporting things on the interstates which he drove every day which flew off into space and were either destroyed on impact or else certainly destroyed when his truck ran them over.....

And the idea, as I told my wife, was that NO WAY was the motorcycle going to come out of that truck without me taking it out. If we wrecked the report was going to say something like "the truck was found, after rolling over numerous times according to witnesses, in a deep culvert alongside the interstate. A vintage BMW motorcycle was also found still attached to the bed of the truck".

:laugh

Lee,

That's a good comment. Here's a fuinny story regarding the tie-down job:

At some point on the way home I stopped for fuel. As I was filling up a portly guy, suspenders, tee shirt, jeans, sort of good ol' boy guy came up and asked "is that your motorcycle?". I said yes it was.

He pointed overt to a gigantic tanker truck idling in the parking area of the service center. It was meticulously neat and shiny. He said "See that truck? That's my truck. I've been driving tanker trucks for 25 years and I got to tell you that that's the best god****mn tie down of a motorcycle I ever seen".

He then told me of the numerous times he had seem people ("amateurs") transporting things on the interstates which he drove every day which flew off into space and were either destroyed on impact or else certainly destroyed when his truck ran them over.....

And the idea, as I told my wife, was that NO WAY was the motorcycle going to come out of that truck without me taking it out. If we wrecked the report was going to say something like "the truck was found, after rolling over numerous times according to witnesses, in a deep culvert alongside the interstate. A vintage BMW motorcycle was also found still attached to the bed of the truck".

:laugh

That is a GREAT story! :clap

K75s

Dang,you guys are killin me.Picked up my1150RT last year and love it.Good all-around bike.But it always seemed something was missing.Everytime I see a standard K75,or K75s I just stare at it.The logical side of me says "hey,you have a bike in the garage already-do ya want to spend 3 or 4 grand for another bike?"
Must not taste the K cool-aid...must not taste the K cool-aid:bolt

I'm feeling your pain, Froggy. My first BMW was an '88 K75C purchased in '95; paid $3800 for it. Now I want another one, and they're still $3800.

Tom

Its threads like this that jack up the street price on these Ks.Alright everyone,its time to start a "how much I hate the Ks"thread.Soon their value will tumble:laugh

Call now and we'll double your order!

Its threads like this that jack up the street price on these Ks.Alright everyone,its time to start a "how much I hate the Ks"thread.Soon their value will tumble:laugh

Ha! As if that's gonna' happen! The message here is get your dream Klassic K-bike before the prices go up more. :stick I rode my K75S a while this afternoon and fell in love all over again.

Well folks, all the responses to this thread have really reinforced my thoughts on the k-bikes. I would really like to have one someday.

I really appreciate the input and have learned more about the flying brick here than any other source.

This is why I joined the BMWMOA recently after purchasing my first BMW.

K100rs

The gray K100RS offered on the US EBay right now looks pretty sweet to me. They come up fairly often I see, and their prices are usually very reasonable. I'm sure happy with mine, purchased last summer.

Back