• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K100RS Weeping intake manifolds

weiner

I have a 1985 K100RS with approximately 60,000 miles. I am the original owner. I am planning to ride to the MOA Rally next week. Today while doing some minor service work with the fairing lowers off, I observed that the number 1 cylinder intake manifold has been weeping and the number 3 rubber bushing above the throttle body is weeping also. I've introduced propane gas with a unlit torch at all of the throttle bodies areas and the RPMs did not change.

All of these parts are original and I know I need to replace these 38-year-old components. But I don't have the parts or the time to replace the components before the rally. I would like to ride this bike to the rally which is only 200 miles away. I would like feedback from some of the more experienced K bike owners as to their opinion if this would or would not be harmful to the engine etc. The bike seems to run fine. See picture below.
Thanks in advance!

# 1 Manifold.jpg

View attachment 92003

Order the bushings and other bits you’ll anticipate needing, tuck them into a saddlebag, and enjoy the rally! At that age and mileage you’ll also want to think about replacing the $$ breather hose assembly that runs from the crankcase up to the FI bodies, as a “while we’re in here” sort of thing. They have a tendency to crack at the “y” junction and start creating problems.

Enjoy the rally,
DeVern

Weiner,

You should have no problems. Your propane test indicates that they are not yet sucking in any air and it is running well. 400 moles round trip should be no problem. Go to the Rally! Relax and have fun. Plan on dealing with it when you get back and have more time.

The Z shaped crankcase vent hose in between the plenum (above the throttle bodies) and your coils is a bit more likely to cause problems if cracked. It is not as expensive as later Kbikes. From the dealer, they are $24.38. From Euromotoelectrics they are $15.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/searchresults.asp?Search=Crankcase+vent+hose&Submit=

Have fun at the Rally!

:dance:dance:dance

Lee, Thanks for your response with good information. I value your opinion. You even helped me several years ago when one of the repair manuals mislabeled 2 of the relays on my Kbike! The Z crankcase breather hose, I've had to replace a few times and even keep a spare which probably should be in the bike with my other spares.

I feel it's important for me to be at this rally since I signed up with the Vintage Club for the vintage display “History of the past 100 years”. I was one of only 3 Kbikes that signed up. I didn't want to be an embarrassment for Kbike community if I got to the rally and had a problem/issue. I feel like the early Kbike is the 'red headed stepchild' in many BMW circles but it is without a doubt one of my all time favorite BMWs even though I have 4 Rbikes! I've spent a couple days removing after-market seat, shock, rear rack and extra lights and replacing with original shock and hardened foam original seat. It should look like the day it came off the showroom floor when I bought it!

Thanks again,
Weiner

Back