• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New from NOLA

sportsbud1

Guess I have to post my obligatory "I'm new" post...

Located in the true deep south in Mardi Gras central New Orleans. When the riding season may be long but the roads are boring...

Currently have quite the fleet of older bikes... I have;

1997 R1100RT with 133k miles and it's very very well kept;

2000 R1100RT-P and old CHiPS bike with 101k miles and it my running project as something is always not right with it... including the time the headlight switch crapped out on me and I had to splice some wires in the autozone parking lot together to get a working headlight...

2007 Husqvarna SM610- This one won't be with me long as I am working a deal for a well farkled 2001 F650GS....

2017 Sherco 300 SE-R six days. Now this is my woods weapon.... the question when riding this is "Will I be dodging the tree today or not..."

Joined up as a resource as many of my old bikes are a PITA to keep going... now as for the other BMW's I had....

2009 G450X - My biggest regret was even buying this bike.....

2007 G650X Xchallenge - If the vibes were not going to give me arthritis I would still have this bike....

2003 R1150GS- Great bike and heavy to pick up in the MOAB in a sandwash... (long story)

2002 r1150GSA- Was great but honestly for my riding I find the regular GS far better...

2003 F650GS - My "Fakar" was a lowered model that was a theft recovery... brought to regular height by me and the only plastics I could get were "Dakar" so it was the Dakar that was not a Dakar so it was a "Fake Dakar" = "Fakar". Was good but the folks that stole it and took it on a joyride caused it too have too many gremlins... but I did ride to Colorado and back on it... (Texas was just a bad experience on this bike)

Honestly I see myself getting a K bike in the near future... might look into an old K1100 or K1200 because I like to pay cash for my bikes lol...

Welcome from central Florida. Quite the introduction. With that type of history what kept you from joining before now?

I'm not one to join the clubs. Joined the local bmw club and they gave a free membership here so decided why not...

Welcome Andrew Weiss! That is quite the fleet of older bikes. A pic of the stable is always appreciated.

I'm not one to join the clubs. Joined the local bmw club and they gave a free membership here so decided why not...
Now when you buy parts at a dealership you can get a 10% rebate!

Welcome from (currently rain drenched) Sunny SoCal!

What's not to like regarding a one-year trial membership? You've got an eclectic collection, Andrew.
Hello from the Tennessee River valley! We too have an assortment that need to be ridden to maintain their road-worthiness... Maybe you'll get on your "new" K-bike and enjoy a long ride to Redmond OR; we'll be camping in our Timeout camper that follows along. It makes for a more geezer-friendly camping experience these days. >>> <<<

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K16GT ———— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L -—- ’11 Vespa GTS 300

What's not to like regarding a one-year trial membership? You've got an eclectic collection, Andrew.
Hello from the Tennessee River valley! We too have an assortment that need to be ridden to maintain their road-worthiness... Maybe you'll get on your "new" K-bike and enjoy a long ride to Redmond OR; we'll be camping in our Timeout camper that follows along. It makes for a more geezer-friendly camping experience these days. >>> <<<

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K16GT ———— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L -—- ’11 Vespa GTS 300
Also not listed was my non-bmw bikes I have owned...

1983 Honda XL250
1987 Honda XL250
2000 TW200 (built from a pile of parts I called it my "bike in a box")
2013 TW200 (built from a auction bike with snapped forks and treated like a MX bike lol)
2014 Honda CRF250L (Bought with 1k miles sold with 44k miles word is it is over 60k now)
2003 Honda Magna (man it was blast when it wasn't trying to kill me)
2003 YZ250F (that I did a complete rebuild on to see if I could)
2001 TTR220 (I about broke this bike in half on the trails lol)
2019 GPX TSE250R (Loved this china dirt bike passed it along when I got the Sherco)

Currently there is a 2000 R1100RT-P with 50k miles in need of love near me I am debating on grabing and getting going now...

But waiting on squirling enough cash away to secure an older K1200 bike to finally not worry about an Altima running me off the road from behind (It happens more than you think around NOLA)

Just noticed your signature. Yea I am still young... and 11 years into service with the Army National Guard down here... so sadly taking time off for long periods is not really something I can do often....

Welcome Andrew Weiss! That is quite the fleet of older bikes. A pic of the stable is always appreciated.
The group photo was taken shortly before the departure of the 1150GSA... That bike was great but for my riding it was meh... really debating a K bike or getting a 1200GS before they added all the fat to them again...

20231002_125025 (2).jpg20240128_132601 (1).jpg

You must be Mr Fix-it for your Army NG unit! (y) As a contractor, I worked for many years for PERSCOM in Alexandria after retiring from AF in Col and moved to the DMV {Beltway bandit}. Later, I encountered Mrs-K bottling beer, and things progressed. She's now ridden 200K on various BMWs along w/me over 400K [ https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/mileagecontest ].
Enjoy every opportunity you can manage to go for a ride. I'm leading my MOAL cohorts for a 2nd Saturday R-2-E {rain or shine}. Since this is for all of Alabama, I never know how many folks will magically appear, but we also have quite a few 'Vintage Bikers' here in HSV [ FB: NAVMC as well as https://www.facebook.com/bmwmoal/ ]. Going to the Rock House Eatery in Feb, Beans & Greens in Mar, and The Bright Star in April. That's all I know as of 6Feb. 🤜🤛

You must be Mr Fix-it for your Army NG unit! (y) As a contractor, I worked for many years for PERSCOM in Alexandria after retiring from AF in Col and moved to the DMV {Beltway bandit}. Later, I encountered Mrs-K bottling beer, and things progressed. She's now ridden 200K on various BMWs along w/me over 400K [ https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/mileagecontest ].
Enjoy every opportunity you can manage to go for a ride. I'm leading my MOAL cohorts for a 2nd Saturday R-2-E {rain or shine}. Since this is for all of Alabama, I never know how many folks will magically appear, but we also have quite a few 'Vintage Bikers' here in HSV [ FB: NAVMC as well as https://www.facebook.com/bmwmoal/ ]. Going to the Rock House Eatery in Feb, Beans & Greens in Mar, and The Bright Star in April. That's all I know as of 6Feb. 🤜🤛
I'll be working with family that day so really can't. The weekend following that I am taking my Husqvarna to highland park just over the GA border east of Birmingham to swap for that old F650GS. Also taking the 2-stroke for some trail romping while I am at it...

But right now I need to get around to getting the new tires installed on the 97' 1100RT, the 2000 RT-P I have to get in there and replace a few parts and the left side handlebar switch and relocate some of my aux lighting...

Of a more concerning note the 97' RT had an issue with what I thought was a sticking starter where it would "hang" when pressing the button and the VDO would go blank but would eventually turn over. Replaced it with a cheap starter while I rebuild the other and it was better but it is showing signs of starting to do it again... I think either sidestand switch is at fault, the battery is going (odessey) or worst case I have a problem with the starter wire. It already has an additional ground wire to (-) on the battery... I love these bikes but wouldn't mind having a bit lower mileage example..

Well figures the non-bmw bike in the heard would cause problems... Took the Husky to the parade and got home only to realize the threaded inserts holding the exhaust on had popped out and one bolt was MIA and the other was moments away from going AWOL.... I was having flashbacks to my old CRF250L when the muffler fell off after a wheelie....

I had the rear mounting bracket for a muffler fall off of a Kawasaki KLX450 once. Thankfully, I was in my own yard. The smell of burning plastic alerted me.

The muffler slid down and was starting to melt through the mud flap that protects the rear shock.

Welcome (and Happy Mardi Gras!!) from the other Cajun Country just a couple hours WNW up HWY 90. (y)
Thought I would update. The trade was made and I traded the Husky for a 2001 F650GS. I remembered why I liked my old one so much now... I went ahead and promptly broke the glass headlight and seems a plastic one for a newer one works fine. Installed two sets of aux lights (lower on all the time and upper only on with my brights), T-rex luggage guards and scored an inexpensive set of Vario cases. But in true murphys law the fuel pump high pressure feed nipple under the seat is done for and leaking like a siv and my attempts at fixing did nothing. Luckily the internet has identified a replacement part and waiting for that before riding it with all the new farkles...This little bike seems to have grown a bit... (Also I do want to swap out this low seat for a Dakar height one since I am damn cramped with it...)
20240309_162955.jpg

Nice find!

I searched for a while, but could never find a 650 GS for sale near-by. I ended up getting a barely used Royal Enfield Himalayan 411 for offroad/trail riding and camping.

It is SLOW... but fun to ride!
1710169787614.png

Yeah... AFTER I got the Haimalayan, I ran across 2 GS in Louisiana. I never did see the Dakar though... that would have been sweet.

Back