• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Progressive Motorcycle Insurance Customer Satisfaction

I've insured my bikes through Progressive for over thirty years, so I guess you'd say I was satisfied.

My only experience with their claims department was when our car was rear-ended at a light by a texting driver who had Progressive auto insurance. The damage didn't look too bad, but it does not take much to total a 15-year-old car. Based on age, mileage, condition(excellent), and local retail prices, I was expecting about a $4000 settlement. I accepted their first offer of $5300. Everyone I spoke with was courteous and friendly, and the claim was handled promptly.

My rates have dropped a bit over the last ten years, I suppose partly because the bike is older and worth less, partly because I am older, partly 30 years without a claim. Still, seeing lower rates in a time of high inflation is pretty nice.

I've made inquiries with other companies a few times over the years and never found better rates. In Ohio at least, they also offer a decent roadside assistance plan for only $15/year.

I've had my bikes insured with Progressive for 24 years. I'm also an insurance agent so I can check the rates of several different companies.

Last summer I was on my way to the MOA National in Springfield and picked up a nail that punctured the sidewall in my rear (new) Michelin PR5GT. I called Progressive roadside assistance and they sent a driver that knew how to haul a bike and took me to the local Yamaha dealer in Hot Springs Arkansas. It was after hours so I had to have a hotel room.

Progressive paid for the tow and because I also bought Trip Interuuption they paid the $174 hotel bill. Not bad for a $15/year coverage option.

Being and insurance agent, I judge an insurance company on how many complaints I get on claims handling. With Progressive it's very few.

I switched to Progressive a few years ago for a better rate. The rate went up at each renewal. But when I went from a 14R1200RT to a 22R1250RT (both premium) the rate doubled. I never had a claim but I've never heard anyone say a negative about Progressive response to a claim.

I have two cars and one motorcycle insured through Progressive.
Very satisfied with rate and responsiveness to claims.

YMMV

Joe

Six motorcycles, three of which have sidecars, insured with Progressive. Rates are very good for full coverage and have gone down a bit over the years; never filed a a claim. The last two insurance companies we had started raising their rates a great deal after three years. In our 5th year with Progressive and no hint of an increase. In Montana, there is no requirement to have insurance on a motorcycle, not even liability.

I've had Progressive Motorcycle Insurance for more than 15 years for a number of bikes. Coverage was in Ohio until 2016, then in North Carolina afterwards.

Progressive will only carry 4 motorcycles per policy. I have a couple of policies for my 8 motorcycles. The insurance rate in NC is more than double that in Ohio; coverage was year-round in both states. Winter riding in NC is MUCH nicer than Ohio. I typically have the maximum coverage (liability and un/under-insured motorist). Other than for the newest bikes, I do not carry the full Comprehensive coverage (i.e., if a crash is my fault, then I have to pay to fix the bikes.)

I have never had a claim.

I have used the Progressive towing coverage (I believe that it covers up to 18 miles to a facility). This was about 8 years ago. I had a flat on the Blue Ridge Parkway while enroute to the Ga. Mtn Rally. I used my AAA RV Plus coverage to get a tow about 75 miles to a town with a motel. The next morning I used the BMWMOA Anonymous book to solicit recommendations for a local motorcycle tire repair shop. The calls to local numbers all resulted in a recommendation for the same small shop, which was a couple miles distant. I arranged for a tow from the hotel to the shop via the Progressive tow service. The responding tow truck was prompt and well equipped to transport the bike. The local shop made the repair for a cost BELOW that which I was prepared to pay - (yes BELOW! - my Ohio BMW dealer would charge an hour labor at $100/hr and $25 for a new tube, this small shop only wanted $48, including the tube. I was able to negotiate a higher price that I was comfortable with since he interrupted his schedule to fit me in. A good guy and I see why the locals like him.)

I have a local agent that I use for home and cars (not Progressive) and motorcycles (Progressive). I also have additional liability coverage via an "umbrella" policy.

I have never been able to get Flo or that nutty guy (Kevin?) when I've called the Progressive HQ (in Cleveland, Oh). :)

Last edited:
Just FYI, we hit a small animal and it bent a very expensive rim. While changing the wheel I noticed a chip in our very expensive headlight. I inquired with my agent (not Progressive) and they made a call to see if it was covered. I was just there to get information on the amount that might be covered. That "call" to the home office resulted in a claim being started. Apparently motorcycle insurance does not have Comprehensive overage. Everything is collision. Check that with your Progressive Agent!

My "covered" items actually had a net result of being a zero interest loan if you count in the rate increase for the next 3 years. I like the company so I'm not changing, but I do wish insurance companies were more forthcoming on what is and is not covered and what will or will not raise rates.

OK. I have to thank Tom and you guys for starting this discussion. I’ve had Progressive for my auto insurance for several years, after getting a much better rate and switching from Geico, but I left my motorcycles with Geico. The past couple of years, every time I made a vehicle change, the rate went up and up. I chalked that up to maybe I was adding more expensive motorcycles to insure.
Seeing this discussion I decided to get a quote from Progressive. I was paying $737 a year with Geico, and my new rate with Progressive is $274 a year, and that’s with more coverage and higher coverage amounts than Geico’s policy. I just went over the numbers and coverages side by side three times because I couldn’t believe it, but it’s true.

Just FYI, we hit a small animal and it bent a very expensive rim. While changing the wheel I noticed a chip in our very expensive headlight. I inquired with my agent (not Progressive) and they made a call to see if it was covered. I was just there to get information on the amount that might be covered. That "call" to the home office resulted in a claim being started. Apparently motorcycle insurance does not have Comprehensive overage. Everything is collision. Check that with your Progressive Agent!

My "covered" items actually had a net result of being a zero interest loan if you count in the rate increase for the next 3 years. I like the company so I'm not changing, but I do wish insurance companies were more forthcoming on what is and is not covered and what will or will not raise rates.

The policy I just created with Progressive has collision and comprehensive listed separately. I was able to choose a deductible amount for each.

Maybe they just piggybacked your headlight chip onto your collision claim for the wheel and didn’t list the chip as a separate comprehensive claim? If they did that, perhaps that was in your best interest rather than get charged two separate deductibles?

The insurance rate in NC is more than double that in Ohio; coverage was year-round in both states.

I don't know why, but I hear newcomers say insurance in NC is much higher than they paid in other states. I changed residency to here about 10 years ago and had to change from Progressive because of yearly rate increases. Maybe I will try them again and get in on the bottom floor... :evil

I don't know why, but I hear newcomers say insurance in NC is much higher than they paid in other states. I changed residency to here about 10 years ago and had to change from Progressive because of yearly rate increases. Maybe I will try them again and get in on the bottom floor... :evil

Hillbilly surcharge?

I've had progressive since 2016 but not had to make any claims. I will says all the guys in the service department at my dealership have said that progressive is the best outfit they deal with when it does come to claims and they always do the right thing. YMMV

Last edited:
I'm in NM. Every few years, I check insurance costs for my car, trucks and motorcycles. I've found lower costs for the motorcycles - with equal coverage policies - through Allstate.

I can't speak to how well they take care of the customer if there's a claim because I've never had to file one for motorcycles.

I can tell you that USAA General [for cars] not only has the best rates [again, in NM] and I've had to file three claims with them [no, not my fault---:nono] and they handled everything quickly and properly. I was rear-ended three times in Lubbock, TX. Twice at the same traffic light [19th and Quaker] and the third also on 19th at Indiana!

Unfortunately, I can't avoid 19th in Lubbock because of my doctor...:deal

I've used Progressive on 6 different bikes since 2016. No claims but rates seem very reasonable for my much higher coverage than the minimum requirements.
My riding buddy had two crashes in the last 2 years. The first was basically a fall over and progressive replaced any part on his bike that had even the most minor scratch including his jacket and helmet.

The company gives $3000 in extra equipment coverage. Gear, bike add-ons etc.
After I added up what I've spent on extras, I added another $5000 to that coverage for about $35.

I'm in NM. Every few years, I check insurance costs for my car, trucks and motorcycles. I've found lower costs for the motorcycles - with equal coverage policies - through Allstate.

I can't speak to how well they take care of the customer if there's a claim because I've never had to file one for motorcycles.

I can tell you that USAA General [for cars] not only has the best rates [again, in NM] and I've had to file three claims with them [no, not my fault---:nono] and they handled everything quickly and properly. I was rear-ended three times in Lubbock, TX. Twice at the same traffic light [19th and Quaker] and the third also on 19th at Indiana!

Unfortunately, I can't avoid 19th in Lubbock because of my doctor...:deal

I've been a USAA insurance (home, life, auto) and banking customer for 48 years. Before that I was on my parents' USAA policy. I wish they would insure motorcycles, but they don't. Depending on where one lives they refer you to another company. In Montana they send you to Progressive.

Back