• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Picking up my '23 RT soon, dealership ???

Along the lines of that TFT- the latest version of the software is 013_013_20. I would think any professional dealer with a professional technician would do this without prompting- but no harm in making this expectation clear. Sign nothing until you can validate it.

According to my dealer, BMW will not reimburse the dealership for firmware updates unless the update is to address a customer complaint. Hard to have a customer complaint if the bike hasn't been delivered yet. Sounds like they are trying to reduce the costs for unneeded updates - at the expense of customer satisfaction.

According to my dealer, BMW will not reimburse the dealership for firmware updates unless the update is to address a customer complaint. Hard to have a customer complaint if the bike hasn't been delivered yet. Sounds like they are trying to reduce the costs for unneeded updates - at the expense of customer satisfaction.

Seems like that should be part of checklist for dealer prep though.

Something about that doesn’t sound right?

Is BMW selling each firmware upgrade download on an “each” basis? OR- is it that the dealership figures it is a half hour of labor they can’t really charge for and are blaming BMW?

Does it really matter if the bike is running as it should? Personally, I like to have the dealership do the first scheduled check which also gives me and idea how the dealership operates if needed in the future. It is also a good time for a firmware upgrade if it is felt like it is needed. Theoretically, the dealership should be connected to the bikes computer to reset the service light but there will probably be a charge for this “latest and greatest” check as it will help cover the computer tools the dealership has to purchase.
OM

Something about that doesn’t sound right!!

Is BMW selling each firmware upgrade download on an “each” basis? OR- is it that the dealership figures it is a half hour of labor they can’t really charge for and are blaming BMW?

Does it really matter if the bike is running as it should? Personally, I like to have the dealership do the first scheduled check which also gives me and idea how the dealership operates if needed in the future. It is also a good time for a firmware upgrade if it is felt like it is needed. Theoretically, the dealership should be connected to the bikes computer to reset the service light but there will probably be a charge for this “latest and greatest” check as it will help cover the computer tools the dealership has to purchase.
OM
Minor correction in your first sentence.

I stumbled on BMW motorcycles in 1970. Since that time, I've never not owned at least one, most of which I've purchased new.

Granted, dealership quality has declined significantly since then but if ANY dealer ever told me there was going to be a fee for then making certain a near $30K motorcycle they're selling me is not 100% up to date in ANY way, they would NEVER see a dime from me.

I think that jono's statement ;

is offensive and points to a serious problem with that/his dealership.

I do have to say that In the past couple years, I have noticed some changes in the dealership here in NM [two dealerships here that are under the same umbrella] that I honestly do NOT like. However, I've never heard any complaints from others that their new bike purchase wasn't 100% up to date.

We stopped at Engles BMW the day our 2022 R1250RS arrived when we were on our way to Arkansas.
I asked the service manager if they do a software update during the 600 mile check.
He said it did not cost the shop anything to do the update but alot of times it ties up the computer for several hours doing a update so they only do a update when a customer mentions a problem.
It was going to be a couple weeks before we returned for our new bike and he said they could probably hook our bikes to the computer during a slow time in the next couple weeks.

Minor correction in your first sentence.

I stumbled on BMW motorcycles in 1970. Since that time, I've never not owned at least one, most of which I've purchased new.

Granted, dealership quality has declined significantly since then but if ANY dealer ever told me there was going to be a fee for then making certain a near $30K motorcycle they're selling me is not 100% up to date in ANY way, they would NEVER see a dime from me.

I think that jono's statement ;

is offensive and points to a serious problem with that/his dealership.

I do have to say that In the past couple years, I have noticed some changes in the dealership here in NM [two dealerships here that are under the same umbrella] that I honestly do NOT like. However, I've never heard any complaints from others that their new bike purchase wasn't 100% up to date.

When the motorcycle leaves the factory - it's "up to date" in the view of the manufacturer. While I believe this is a dated concept, it is the view of most manufacturers.

As for software updates - if you follow other forums like LT or Facebook, you'll see my dealer is not unique, it is widely reported as a practice. In many circumstances, UK and European dealers are charging for firmware updates even while still under warranty.

The current process can take hours for an update - while a low volume dealer might be willing to automatically update to the latest software, imagine if your dealer is a high volume seller (like mine is) and he's delivering twenty or thirty software-enabled bikes in a busy month. That would tie up their diagnostic computer pretty much all month.

BTW: BMW does not provide free (or automatic) updates for their cars either - after the warranty is up, it's a straight labor charge for firmware updates whether the car has a problem addressed by an update or not. BMW is not unique in this regard - it is rapidly becoming the norm.

I got a new R1250RS this spring and got one fob and one spare key. I told the dealer I thought one fob was kind of chintzy and he told me:

"You'll get a questionnaire from BMW. Tell them you loved the dealer service, you love the bike, and you think a $20K bike ought to come with two fobs. My BMW zone manager will send you a second fob."

It worked for me.

Note that if you go on a long trip, and want to take your second fob in your luggage, you'll have to take the battery out or you'll never be able to lock the bike with your luggage attached.

I put my spare fob in my house, and take my fob, and a spare battery, on trips. I Gorilla-taped my spare key to a spot on the bike that I hope I remember if I ever need it...

When the motorcycle leaves the factory - it's "up to date" in the view of the manufacturer. While I believe this is a dated concept, it is the view of most manufacturers.

As for software updates - if you follow other forums like LT or Facebook, you'll see my dealer is not unique, it is widely reported as a practice. In many circumstances, UK and European dealers are charging for firmware updates even while still under warranty.

The current process can take hours for an update - while a low volume dealer might be willing to automatically update to the latest software, imagine if your dealer is a high volume seller (like mine is) and he's delivering twenty or thirty software-enabled bikes in a busy month. That would tie up their diagnostic computer pretty much all month.

BTW: BMW does not provide free (or automatic) updates for their cars either - after the warranty is up, it's a straight labor charge for firmware updates whether the car has a problem addressed by an update or not. BMW is not unique in this regard - it is rapidly becoming the norm.
Yep, I agree with most of that but to be clear, I refer to brand new bikes. As to the volume of sales, I don't see that as an issue for the customer - again, of a new, high dollar bike.

Used motorcycles are a different matter and I have no problem paying for updates on my bikes, even under warranty.

Regarding BMW automobiles, my automobile dealer is the same as my bike dealership. I can't speak highly enough about the automobile side of the dealership. My 08 5-series Sport is over 170K and still purring like a kitten. I just WISH I could say the same about the bike side.

Note that if you go on a long trip, and want to take your second fob in your luggage, you'll have to take the battery out or you'll never be able to lock the bike with your luggage attached.

I put my spare fob in my house, and take my fob, and a spare battery, on trips. I Gorilla-taped my spare key to a spot on the bike that I hope I remember if I ever need it...
I always carry both my FOBs. One in the left compartment in a plastic bag without a battery in it, and a spare battery.

The other stays with me wherever I go.

FOBs (Medium).jpg

AM radio? Haven’t heard anyone talk about AM radio in about 10 years.:dunno

I don't listen to AM often but I expect it to work on a brand new Motorcycle that lists for north of $27k. My dealer did mention that BMW will only reimburse for firmware updates if it a addresses a problem that the Customer mentioned and they confirmed. I did get a letter from BMW when the original warranty was about to expire on my 2018 K1600GT which explicitly stated I should bring the bike to my dealer to address any issues and perform software updates before my warranty expired which seems to conflict with messaging I am hearing. Not sure why it takes hours for a firmware update. My experience with other devices is that it may take 10 minutes or so but not hours.

Updates to my Chevrolet vehicles are done for free and don't take hours to accomplish. I don't remember BMW charging me to update any of the cars I've owned.

Not sure why it takes hours for a firmware update. My experience with other devices is that it may take 10 minutes or so but not hours.

Updates to my Chevrolet vehicles are done for free and don't take hours to accomplish. I don't remember BMW charging me to update any of the cars I've owned.

I took my Ford Focus in for a recall to replace all the door locks/latches. They also plugged the car in to do computer updates. The door latch work took the technician about 45 minutes and then I needed to wait an additional hour for the computer update to finish.

I don't listen to AM often but I expect it to work on a brand new Motorcycle that lists for north of $27k. My dealer did mention that BMW will only reimburse for firmware updates if it a addresses a problem that the Customer mentioned and they confirmed. I did get a letter from BMW when the original warranty was about to expire on my 2018 K1600GT which explicitly stated I should bring the bike to my dealer to address any issues and perform software updates before my warranty expired which seems to conflict with messaging I am hearing. Not sure why it takes hours for a firmware update. My experience with other devices is that it may take 10 minutes or so but not hours.

It may be different these days, but a while ago I was chatting with a service advisor and he said that BMW distributed motorcycle updates from a server in Germany and the dealer's Internet connection speed had a significant impact on the amount of time an update takes. I've seen reports that some diagnostic computers have been upgraded to provide the updates locally.

On the car side, I had a VANOS fault in my 2014 535iX that the dealer identified as a software problem in 2018. When picking up the car, they handed me a >$500 bill for the software update. My original warranty had expired and for some reason my extended warranty wasn't showing up. Fortunately I had the paperwork in the car that showed I had bought the extended warranty at the time of purchase - and they fixed my account records and re-issued the bill under warranty. They did say that updates after the extended warranty expired would be charged at the current labor rates and that since updates couldn't be done unattended, it would be several hours labor charge. We replaced the BMW with a Subaru which doesn't charge for updates - though they do charge for map updates after the warranty expires.

AM radio? Haven’t heard anyone talk about AM radio in about 10 years.:dunno

I picked it up the other day and like many guys have been saying the XM sucks and is always dropping the signal. I haven't tried the AM radio yet. I also have a 2020 RT (That I'm selling) and do miss the separate Nav 6 GPS.

IMG_3897.jpg

I picked it up the other day and like many guys have been saying the XM sucks and is always dropping the signal. I haven't tried the AM radio yet. I also have a 2020 RT (That I'm selling) and do miss the separate Nav 6 GPS.

View attachment 90639

I can't believe BMW, the XM Sirius antenna has been a problem since the release of the LED headlight front end on the RT, 2021R1250RT. I talked with my dealer before taking delivery of my 2022 in March. Yep it sucked but when I brought the bike in for its 600 miles service "BMW had the fix" they installed the same antenna that was on my 14R1200RT. My reception has been very good, same as on my 14R1200RT. I don't understand why they haven't changed back to the older antenna, that shark fin antenna is stupid looking as well.

Perhaps BMW engineering needs a vacation on a rental bike here in the USA?

Curiously, however, neither SiriusXM nor Pandora operate on the continent of Europe at all, much less in Germany or Austria.Nov 20, 2018

:eek

OM

All this talk about antennas and reception has me feeling glad I opted to not get the audio system on my soon to arrive RT.

All this talk about antennas and reception has me feeling glad I opted to not get the audio system on my soon to arrive RT.

That is a personal choice. I like riding with SiriusXM, I held off buying the 2022RT until I was able to order it with all the goodies I wanted, like TPMS, wireless charging, radio. I can't believe anyone would buy a $27k motorcycle without anti lock brakes, personal choice. The really strange thing it with all of the supply shortages BMW had the best sales year in history in 2022.

Before I took delivery, I asked the dealer about the antenna issues and was told that the bike has ALL the current items/fixes by BMW installed and that is illegal to sell a bike if something is pending (A bunch of B_ll-Sh_t). I informed him the next day and he said he'll get back to me on this, but so far nothing but "CRICKETS".

Back