• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Onboard tools

cliffd

Cliff
Hi I am new to the group. My apologies if this has appeared before, but I didn't see anything in my searches here so, I thought I would ask. What tools should I have handy onboard for my 2009 1200RT? The kit that came with bike is long gone so I want to put together one of my own, say from Lowe's or something like this. I ride mostly on highways and city streets and am somewhat competent with a wrench. Granted, I am not a mechanic, but when I started driving long ago the only vehicles I could afford needed work. I know how to do a few things and want to be prepared to get me off the side of the road should I ever find myself broke down. Does someone have a list of must have tools I should get for my bike? Thanks in advance for the help.

Cliff

Thanks!

Thanks for pointing me in that direction, Henzilla. That thread had a lot of good information. I made a list and am off to the store. Of course, I am making plans for the roadside services too, should I ever need it. Thanks everyone for that advice.

I carry a snap-on mini ratching screw driver with some torx, Philips and a flat blade bit and a leatherman mutt tool
Tire repair kit and cycle gear electric pump
Also front wheel socket from Mark parns

BMW apparently feels that the only two tools you need carry are a credit card with sizeable limit, and a cell phone to call a dealer or tow company.
When you open the tool kit on the new bikes, there's a small folder that has printed on it, "Insert credit card here". Ducatis are the same but say, "Insert gold credit card here."

I carry a snap-on mini ratching screw driver with some torx, Philips and a flat blade bit and a leatherman mutt tool
Tire repair kit and cycle gear electric pump
Also front wheel socket from Mark parns

Thanks, i bought a few items today and did get a leatherman wingman tool to add to my kit. Also ordered a small compressor with some tire plugs. Thanks for the tips.

Tools carried R1200RT

Tire plug kit & pump= mine happens to be Slime kit Wally World. I just used it in Vermont on my way north to Yankee Beamers camping/pig roast. Picked up a construction staple RT100. Rear tire.
Seeing that the spark plugs for the wet head, are special/hard to fine on the ROAD? Only at BMW dealer's. I do carry my OLD 1"s with me with a socket/tools for change out.
All the other tools needed BMW supplied under the seat.

Some 1 stated U can carry a lot of tools & spare parts=BUT never the 1 that is needed. How true that is.

Some 1 stated U can carry a lot of tools & spare parts=BUT never the 1 that is needed. How true that is.

Parts agreed. Tools, not so much. But then we bike travel most of four months of summer; often miles from any qualified repair facility.

Seeing that the spark plugs for the wet head, are special/hard to fine on the ROAD? Only at BMW dealer's. I do carry my OLD 1"s with me with a socket/tools for change out.

Old school...Must be an old Airhead or two stroke owner:wave

Have yet to need a back upset of plugs on a modern machine while out on the road...but they don't take up much room at least! Now, a modern stick coil...well ,yeah!

I have always carried tools and a few ride ending if not available parts...have helped more folks than myself thru the years...a set of fuel QC's a few times , a set of brake pads to another, an alt belt,Many Zip-Ties, can't count how many tires I have plugged ...paying it forward is a good thing...has re-paid me as well. I have tweaked my kit as well, thinning it as much as experience has shown what was needed...on occasion may have to buy some oddball wrench or part...as Paul G has done to repair Voni's 800 in a parking lot:banghead

Last edited:
Just add a tire plugging kit and a pump. You'll probably need a pair of pliers to pull the tire plug into place. I've got a T50 wrench for the rear wheel lugs just in case a local repair shop doesn't.

If you're out with a really worn rear tire, your likelihood of needing tools is greater than if your rear tire is new.

Thanks again

I am glad I went for the small Slime compressor. I saw the kits with the CO2 cartridges and almost went that route, until I read a review that someone had posted saying it takes all four to fill a tire to 22 psi and I would most likely need 32 or so psi. I'm a little heavy on tools right now, just cause I'm a newb, and that's part of the fun too, shopping for more stuff for my new bike. Thanks again everyone.

61996, I cannot recall hearing of anyone successfully using CO2 cartidges to inflate a tire on the road. Have you ever used them? Will they seal a bead? Why not a pump?

61996, I cannot recall hearing of anyone successfully using CO2 cartidges to inflate a tire on the road. Have you ever used them? Will they seal a bead? Why not a pump?

How long do the CO2 cartridges in the Genuine BMW tire repair kit last? The ones I bought with the purchase of my 1986 K75c are looking for a home in that dinky storage space under the new passenger seat.

How long do the CO2 cartridges in the Genuine BMW tire repair kit last? The ones I bought with the purchase of my 1986 K75c are looking for a home in that dinky storage space under the new passenger seat.

I have the repair kit from my 1993 GSPD, including the patches. They would probably not be very helpful at this point.

And, in my previous post I should have said - I cannot recall hearing of anyone successfully using less than 5-6 CO2 cartidges to inflate a tire on the road

On my K75, I used all three cartridges in the kit to get me several miles to a gas station for air. (I now carry six!)
The CO2 gave me about 20 psi (and I did lose a bit from the first one, before I got the technique, and dang that's cold!), but that was enough to ride on, carefully.
Tain't No Way they'd re-seat a bead, though.
Note that CO2 - very cold when compressed - will expand with temperature (as in riding), but I don't know by how much.

On my K75, I used all three cartridges in the kit to get me several miles to a gas station for air. (I now carry six!)
The CO2 gave me about 20 psi (and I did lose a bit from the first one, before I got the technique, and dang that's cold!), but that was enough to ride on, carefully.
Tain't No Way they'd re-seat a bead, though.
Note that CO2 - very cold when compressed - will expand with temperature (as in riding), but I don't know by how much.

Note: You may use 1 or 2 just to find the leak. It happened to me which is why I had to buy my first pump.

Our 11S came with the C02 setup as well, I carry one on the R12S as there is room for not much else unless geared up with sidecases.I carry a pump kit on the other bikes.
Have used them if by myself and no better option.They will at least get you to civilization with 3-4 small cartridges.No, will not reseat a bead, but even my Cyclepump struggles with that task...how many of you have unseated a bead on a puncture?
Luckily I saw the item causing the punctures the few times I have used them as Paul points out, you will waste a couple searching.The 11S has three in the holder.
If you have the tiny supplied cloth hose, you either will have a dry rotted one or you will lose half your air trying to use it. The one on the 11S cracked.
Try one of these frpm a bicycle shop. One for threaded,one for non-threaded...just two examples of what's out there. I noticed one was in the tool roll picture

PU290D00.jpeg

shopping.jpeg

Back