• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tool kits, remember them?

motodan

Remember when BMW supplied a more than ample tool kit? It’s been a while. Checking the bikes today, my Beemer came with one wrench and a screwdriver. However, the Royal Enfield (at 60% less MSRP), came with a much more complete tool kit. I also have a complete Service Manual, whereas BMW…well, you know.

Attachments

• IMG_9935.jpg
    IMG_9935.jpg
    415.8 KB · Views: 240
My 1988 R100 RT not only has a full tool kit, but an owner’s manual with basic maintenance how to’s.

How times have changed.

Remember when BMW supplied a more than ample tool kit? It’s been a while. Checking the bikes today, my Beemer came with one wrench and a screwdriver. However, the Royal Enfield (at 60% less MSRP), came with a much more complete tool kit. I also have a complete Service Manual, whereas BMW…well, you know.

Reminds me of how excited and what people say about receiving extra motor brushes when purchasing an electric drill/power tools from Harbor Freight. :whistle
OM

attachment.php

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Urals come with a comprehensive tool kit. Supposedly, techs attending training put on by Ural are required to use only the tools provided in the OE kit to do all their tasks.

Pretty amazing to think that my '74 R90s came with this. I remember stopping to help a broken down Honda many years ago. When I pulled out the tools, he couldn't believe that this was the stock toolkit.

tool13.jpg

Pretty amazing to think that my '74 R90s came with this. I remember stopping to help a broken down Honda many years ago. When I pulled out the tools, he couldn't believe that this was the stock toolkit.

Yeahbutt... no 14mm wrenches, which are quite popular on Hondas! :ha

But....

What are you going to fix on the side of the road on a "modern" BMW?
Access the battery and perhaps pull a wheel.

Yeahbutt... no 14mm wrenches, which are quite popular on Hondas! :ha

Along with an impact driver for the Phillips/JIS screws which were all but impossible to remove without one.

I needed one and rode my bicycle (pre license) 10 miles to purchase an impact driver at the local Honda dealership. :gerg

OM

What are you going to fix on the side of the road on a "modern" BMW?
Access the battery and perhaps pull a wheel.

Pretty much my take. How much of a modern bike can be fixed by the side of a road?

If they provided a tire patch kit, that'd be pretty awesome. But it's not like if my airhead is getting crabby about something and flames out. How do you even start diagnosis on a wethead by the side of the road and if you figured it out, it's going to be a failed part most likely and not something that's drifted out of adjustment.

I've had my VFR for almost 25 years now and my RT for 18 and I've never had to lay a tool on them by the side of the road ever. My airhead and my /2, however, have had issues like crud in the float needle or in the case of the /2, the spring coming out of the points leading to a no spark condition.

I've never had to lay a tool on them by the side of the road ever.

I had to replace the axle tube and rear drive bearings on an F800 in a motel parking lot once. And reattach a displaced hose inside an R1150 fuel tank for a guy at a rally once. And tighten rear wheel nuts on a fellow's bike once, also at a rally. And remove and clean a cranky starter, also in a motel parking lot. Yes - this stuff can be done with a credit card and a tow truck but sometimes carrying a tool or two is worth it. YMMV

Pretty much my take. How much of a modern bike can be fixed by the side of a road?

If they provided a tire patch kit, that'd be pretty awesome. But it's not like if my airhead is getting crabby about something and flames out. How do you even start diagnosis on a wethead by the side of the road and if you figured it out, it's going to be a failed part most likely and not something that's drifted out of adjustment.

I've had my VFR for almost 25 years now and my RT for 18 and I've never had to lay a tool on them by the side of the road ever. My airhead and my /2, however, have had issues like crud in the float needle or in the case of the /2, the spring coming out of the points leading to a no spark condition.

I agree. Most of my rides have been local with a few three-day rides. With the airhead, the issues were relatively minor that were easily repaired. I haven't needed most of the tools in the kit on the side of the road.

It doesn’t matter which model or brand you ride, as far as a breakdown, what can leave you on the side of the road? The simple things that you can fix, not the major things. Pretty much a flat, blown fuse or lights out at night. Carry the resources to fix these.

Also, what can “you” fix? If you’re not a mechanic, maybe a credit card and cell phone are the resources you carry. Back in the day, being self sufficient meant something. Maybe not so much today. Some habits are hard to break.

It doesn’t matter which model or brand you ride, as far as a breakdown, what can leave you on the side of the road? The simple things that you can fix, not the major things. Pretty much a flat, blown fuse or lights out at night. Carry the resources to fix these.

Also, what can “you” fix? If you’re not a mechanic, maybe a credit card and cell phone are the resources you carry. Back in the day, being self sufficient meant something. Maybe not so much today. Some habits are hard to break.

I carry a c/c and phone, but also an extensive array of tools even though I'm not by any stretch of the imagination, a mechanic.

However, I carry the tools for the potential of breaking down, being on the side of the road, and have someone stop to help but states "If I had the tools", here ya go, appreciate the assist.

Last year, my brothers throttle return cable broke on his 07GT. He's a mechanic and carried NO tools. I broke out the tools bag, fished through it for the correct bit to remove the housing and handed it to him. He took it apart, saw it wouldn't be fixed on the road [ new cable necessary ] and rode for two days till we got to the Sturgis bmw dealer.

In another instance, I stopped for a bike on the side of the road with helmet placed on ground behind motor. "Need help"? I need tools was the reply. Broke out the tools bag and told him have at it. He got whatever was amiss fixed and couldn't thank me enough for stopping.

I can barely use a screwdriver, but someone can always step up with the tools I have to help me out of a sticky wicket scenario. If all else fails, I have 3 tow policies covering 250 miles total and the cell phone. I'm thinking I'm as covered as I can be not being a mechanic. :thumb

View attachment 91689

That looks almost the same if not the same as my 1980 R65. My 1990 R100 GS is very complete as well.

But times have changed and that applies to tool kits and the people riding them.

I carry a c/c and phone, but also an extensive array of tools even though I'm not by any stretch of the imagination, a mechanic.

However, I carry the tools for the potential of breaking down, being on the side of the road, and have someone stop to help but states "If I had the tools", here ya go, appreciate the assist.

I can barely use a screwdriver, but someone can always step up with the tools I have to help me out of a sticky wicket scenario. If all else fails, I have 3 tow policies covering 250 miles total and the cell phone. I'm thinking I'm as covered as I can be not being a mechanic. :thumb

:laugh Sounds like me except I have a RV towing package that will take me home, if need be. :dance

I bought the replacement tool kit for my R65, my R1100S came with and excellent set under the seat and my new to me R100 RS came with the original set only missing the screwdriver. Both of my KTM's came with good tool sets as well. My Aprillia scooter came with an Allen key and screwdriver if I remember correctly.

I like having a decent tool kit with me.

Back