• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Puig Headlight Protector for the GS

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
I thought I'd pass on my thoughts regarding the Puig headlight protector. It's made out of the lens is a 3mm thick polycarbonate lens, which appears to be the same material as other more expensive options. The positives are that it is less expensive and seems to be well made. However, there are two negatives. One is that it needs to be unbolted to clean the headlight, while others have a quick release or fold down for access. I'm hoping that the headlight will not need to be cleaned that often with the protector in place. The second downside is that the bolts provided are too long and bottom out before tightening things up. I noticed others complained about this too. Also, the bolt requires an Allen wrench to be removed, so that's another thing to carry while riding if you want to be able to remove and clean the headlight while traveling. BMW has the perfect solution for the bolt problem. The bolt removed to attach the protector is not the best to be used since it has a "shoulder" on it. However, BMW makes the same bolt without the shoulder (it's used to hold the body panels on). While it's BMW expensive (as bolts go), I was not able to find a similar bolt that uses a T25 Torx screwdriver. With the BMW bolt installed, the protector is more stable, and since the tool kit has a T25 Torx screwdriver, there's no need to bring any other tools along if the protector needs to be removed for headlight cleaning. I also picked up two nylon washers at my local hardware store to protect the black paint on the protector frame, since removal is required for cleaning.

In the following photo, you can see the difference in the screws and the protector on the bike. The black bolt came with the protector, the middle bolt is the one removed with the shoulder, and the bottom one is the BMW bolt without the shoulder.

Attachments

• Headlight protector bolts.jpg
    Headlight protector bolts.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Headlight protector Puig.jpg
    Headlight protector Puig.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I just installed the same protector and also noted the issue with the Puig-supplied bolt. I am scheduled to get my 6k service on tuesday and will be inquiring about buying the BMW bolt you suggested.

Thanks for the tip, Jeff. I just installed the same protector and also noted the issue with the Puig-supplied bolt. I am scheduled to get my 6k service on tuesday and will be inquiring about buying the BMW bolt you suggested.

Glad to help. I guess I should have put the part number in case someone wanted it.

46 63 8 534 938 (Body screw without shoulder - M5x14-A2-70), according to online

Back