• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tool kits, remember them?

Oh how times have changed as my '06 1150 GSA came with a complete toolkit as well.
In order to deal with the lack of tools on our wethead's, my brother and I both got these.... https://www.beemershop.com/product/sbvtools-bmw-motorcycle-tool-set.html

They are high quality and fairly lightweight and very complete to do all the maintenance on our GSA's.. YMMV

I carry the same SBV BMW kit on every ride along with some extra stuff thrown in (a couple different types of tire plugs, multitool, tape, paracord, GS911, pump and a bunch of other stuff I forget and am too lazy to go down and look at to list). I have been pretty happy with the toolkit so far although I tend to forget about it and use what's in my garage when I am doing work at home. It's a shame that now you have to go spend a few hundred bucks to get a decent tool kit and then go dig up a black-market PDF service manual, but I guess that's where we're at these days.

No need to buy a complete tool kit that is ostensibly designed for your model of bike. For far less money a toolkit can be compiled with the tools you need and want. Dare I say, Harbor Freight or Walmart tools will do the job for an onboard toolkit.

This is one tool I like to add to any motorcycle toolkit.
Yes, they are spendy but the German pedigree and mfg goes well with your BMW. And, the 10:1 leverage makes for an impressive grip.

IMG_0321.jpeg

Best,
DeVern

This is one tool I like to add to any motorcycle toolkit.
Yes, they are spendy but the German pedigree and mfg goes well with your BMW. And, the 10:1 leverage makes for an impressive grip.

View attachment 91704

Best,
DeVern

I have a set of their spring clip pliers for automotive work. Never gonna use Channellocks again for those. They're fantastic and now I spend more time than I should looking at their tools.

I have a set of their spring clip pliers for automotive work. Never gonna use Channellocks again for those. They're fantastic and now I spend more time than I should looking at their tools.

I have a few sets of these in different sizes. Big fan here too..

No need to buy a complete tool kit that is ostensibly designed for your model of bike. For far less money a toolkit can be compiled with the tools you need and want. Dare I say, Harbor Freight or Walmart tools will do the job for an onboard toolkit.

I weighed my cobbled together, from various sources over the years, toolkit and compared that to the weight of the SVB kit my brother bought first (he had no tools), and that weight difference was substantial.
So I sprung for the SVB kit as well and it has more tools than my cobbled kit had...... YMMV

I've had my VFR for almost 25 years now and my RT for 18 and I've never had to lay a tool on them by the side of the road ever.

Reminds me of some exchanges I had online in this forum and elsewhere back around 20 years ago when I was a new rider on a K100. All these old guys on airheads who were jus too afraid that the 'black boxes' would fail in the middle of nowhere, and took the effort to express how they felt that it was different to the black boxes in cars being so reliable due to the environment in which they operated. The record speaks for itself and I wonder how many of these guys still haven't opened their minds about it.

Back