• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Building a tool kit for my R1200RT

motor10

I did a search and only found one thread for tool kits and it was for air-heads but wanted more info. I am putting together a tool kit to carry onboard. I am not 100% sure of what to put together so I figured I would ask.

For those of you with wet-heads, what tools do you carry and how?

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Lots of tool kit threads. Have a look at the bottom of the page to get you started.
OM

Since you have bags, the one thing I would include (and do on my 1250) is a tire pump. I expect it will be much better than CO2 cartridges although I'll be happy to never find out. Having been an airhead rider, I pretty much carry what was in that kit minus the specialty tools and plus torx/allen heads, tire repair tools and plugs. In the past 20 yrs or so, I've mostly gotten my kit(s) out to tighten battery connections and the occasional turn signal or switch that's come loose. And most of those on other people's bikes. Oh, and the fuel injector body that blew off a rental R1100R in Austria when it backfired through the injector on start up (don't open the throttle when starting an FI bike). That I fixed with my Swiss Army knife.

I only carry a torx for taking off plastic and Tire plugging/inflating items, tape and a knife + anonymous app. Due to the lack of space (none that I can find) on the 2014 on RT I only carry when traveling out of town. I doubt much more can be fixed on the road without bringing along a tool box.

I put this tool kit together to allow me to take care of tire problems while traveling.

I've made a list of the tools required to remove the wheels on a R1200RTLC. My 2018 RT will be my first bike that does not have a functional tool kit so I put this list together so I could at least remove the wheels if needed.

Front wheel
1. T30 torx bit --- To remove ABS sensor
2. T45 torx bit --- To remove axle pinch bolts
3. 13mm deep socket --- To remove brake caliper --- Deep socket not needed for front but can used for front and rear if deep
4. 17mm standard socket --- To remove bolt on left side of shaft

Rear wheel
1. T25 torx bit --- To remove muffler guard
2. T40 torx bit --- To remove rear bolt on muffler
3. T50 torx bit --- To remove lug bolts
4. 13mm deep socket --- To loosen muffler clamp -- Deep socket needed for rear, standard socket will work for front.

Both wheels
1. 3/8" ratchet
2. 3/8" X 4" to 6" extension

I'm going to put together the above set and keep it on the bike at all times. My biggest problem while traveling is usually tires.

Ensure you carry a spare key and just make sure you can.....
Fix a flat
Remove some body panels
Remove wheels
Replace brake shoes
Tighten any stuff that might come loose
Carry Cable Ties and Filament Tape

I was told before a three month lap of Australia to lay out everything I planned on taking where I could see it, put half of it back in the cupboard, and double the funds that I could access.

Tire plugger, cheap compressor, and a credit card.

I carried tools for years. 200,000 miles and never needed a thing. When I did have a break down I wasn't going to fix it in the motel parking lot anyway, and I would have needed a shop full of tools.

First I’d like to say thank you those who answered and to those who provided a link to other threads. Maybe I just don’t know how to use the search function properly.

I am a destination rider and generally stay local. I am also a commuter riding from Fredericksburg area to inside DC, which is 128 miles a day. I carry a IFAK for medical and am doing the same for mechanical issues. I’m just asking to see what others carry and why. Any information you all can province is greatly appreciated.

Jay

Whatever you decide to carry, don’t skimp on quality if you’re able (especially a tyre inflator). Trying to bodge a fix that’ll get you to the next town for a proper repair still demands decent kit IMHO.

I found a set of fold up Torx drivers at Northern Tools. These are made by Bondhus, who make a set which looks identical to something you could get from Snap-On, but is considerably cheaper, and just as good. This would cover most sizes that you would potentially need to access on a trip, if something came loose. Other than that, I have a Snap-on screwdriver with 1/4” bits in the handle https://shop.snapon.com/product/Sta...heting-Standard-Screwdriver-(Orange)/SSDMR4BO and some wrenches 10mm and 13mm. The GS-911WIFI is also good tool to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do my own maintenance and what I've done over time was collect all the tools I use for the 6k and 12k service items, plus a few more to cover possible emergencies, into a kits I carry secreted into the bike's various unused cavities. Most of the tools are stuffed into two Aerostich zippered pouches, each in a gallon-sized baggie under the seats on either side of the preload adjuster. The tire kit (patch kit, CO2 cartridges for inflation), Anonymous book, registration & insurance card are in a couple of quart-size baggies in the bodywork cavity in front of the tail light. I obviously don't carry a torque wrench but the general idea is that almost any tool I need I keep in the bike plus a small lunch bag with a spare headlight bulb, headlight, and GS-911 in one of the side cases.

You would be amazed at how many tools that turns out to be and what I can repair with them. Yesterday, to install new new horns and wire up my Garmin's power supply, I completely stripped the front fairing, did the installations, and used only the tools I have stashed on the bike, not once having to pull something out of my shop tool box (soldering was the one exception).

Writing that all out, it seems kind of silly, but it works for me and I've got enough practical use of this system that I don't have to think about it. When the day comes that I need to do a repair in the field, I won't be fumbling around with unfamiliar tools.

Jvb

JimVonBaden has a website that has a massive amount of resources including a detailed list of the tools needed to work on the boxers. Well worth a look. I've purchased his service videos and its totally worth it.

http://www.jimvonbaden.com

Since you have bags, the one thing I would include (and do on my 1250) is a tire pump. I expect it will be much better than CO2 cartridges although I'll be happy to never find out. Having been an airhead rider, I pretty much carry what was in that kit minus the specialty tools and plus torx/allen heads, tire repair tools and plugs. In the past 20 yrs or so, I've mostly gotten my kit(s) out to tighten battery connections and the occasional turn signal or switch that's come loose. And most of those on other people's bikes. Oh, and the fuel injector body that blew off a rental R1100R in Austria when it backfired through the injector on start up (don't open the throttle when starting an FI bike). That I fixed with my Swiss Army knife.

That is contrary to my 2018 1200RT owners manual which specifically suggests slight throttle when cold starting.

#1 CyclePump Expedition
#2 flat repair kit
#3 snap on mini ratcheting screw driver with various Torx bits and philips bit
#4 Marc Parns tool for coils and front wheels
#5 2 spare spark plugs and thin wall deep socket for them
#6 half dozen ZipTies
#7 leatherman multi tool
#8 antigravity start battery
Of all the things I carry, start battery and tire pump are the only things I’ve used(and not for my bike)
I also have a spare key Fob battery

Choosing a torque wrench for R1200RT

I’ve just bought 2014 1200RT, and I think it’s time for me to have a torque wrench, rather than my own “best judgment”, which is what I’ve used on previous bikes. I’d prefer 3/8 inch drive… is there one you would recommend that could cover most simple maintenance needs on this bike?

I would suggest compiling a tool kit round what you may need to do on the road, rather than having enough gear to do a full strip and service of the bike.

Back