• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommendation: Never Leave Home Without?

My list includes:
Credit card
Towing package
Tools (for others to use)
Spare set of keys
First Aid kit
Rain Gear
Wicking shirts
Long sleeve cotton turtle neck shirt
Phones (Cdn & US)
Water for constant hydration
GPS & book of maps
Spare set of gloves
Plus maybe a few other items that do not immediately come to mind.

For the most part, many items give one confidence on the road, even if they should never be needed but certainly welcomed to have should the need arise.

Left pannier = 14#'s
micro fibers
air compressor
Aux battery pack
jump starter
tire repair kit/s
oil filter fill key
tie downs
usb/charging/phone cords

right pannier=13.5#'s
jb weld and plates
500 mph tape [ 12 feet wrapped around an old c/c ]
nitrite gloves
tow and rok straps
bungee cord/s
spare key for FOB
t25 torx bit on screw driver handle
annon book
Aerostitch rain mittens
Tool kit/roll
spare gloves
med kit

Top case=
Nav 4 or 5 [ always one of them ready to use and take both on trip ]
air gauge
micro fibers
sunglasses/wide brim hat
jacket liner
eye drops/bandaids
High intensity small flashlight/spare batts
2 cyalume sticks [ yellow ]

The above is every day carry on the motor. I add clothes for a trip into a 35L roll top and sits on the back seat. Leaves room in panniers and top case for items purchased on the road.

Some of my "must haves"

For any long trips, I will pack my GS-911, a handheld Midland CB (for those “no-cell signal” areas), my trusty Motohansa tool kit, a good quality tire plug kit with CO2 inflation cartridges, and some sunscreen just to name a few. Adjust what you take to your possible needs and requirements. I only pack what I might need based upon where I am going. The above covers me for anything less that 100 miles from home. If you pack everything you MIGHT need, you might as well attach a trailer to your bike to carry it all! Only pack along "critical" tools/parts for those small emergencies that might or might not happen. Above all else, be sure that your machine is in top-notch condition and well maintained. It is better to avoid a possible roadside breakdown than to have one and not have the 50 pounds of tools required to fix it. Just my opinion.

Here is my check-off list: https://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/1001preridechecklist.pdf .
I divide my rides into three categories and pack accordingly :
1) short day ride, approximately 300 miles or less; tank bag only but thoroughly kitted.
2) all day ride, roughly 300 to 700 miles, saddle bags, tank bag, (maybe top case); packed to survive an inadvertent mishap.
3) overnighters/multi-day rides, a few thousand miles, saddlebags plus top case plus tank bag; loaded for bear.

Last edited:
As bikes got more complicated, particularly fuel injected, I quit carrying tools. I do carry a Garmin InReach Mini (with a basic subscription) on long trips when I know I will be in remote areas with no chance of cell phone reception. Beside that, just a tire pump/repair kit, and a lithium battery jump starter kit. I've lost track of how many dead batteries I've experienced on trips. Never fails that the battery decides to croak on a Sunday when there's not a store open for miles. The jumpstart kit has turned what used to be a showstopper into a minor aggravation.

Your wallet.

It's no fun to be 60 miles from home when distance to empty is 10 miles and you discover you left your wallet on the dresser.

Hid a twenty on the bike two years ago, but these days I suppose I should add another one.

I always have a spare credit card and some cash hidden in my jacket in case I forget or lose my wallet and the spare plastic key in a locked box, also hidden on the bike.

My liners for cold weather are always on the bike now. I got caught once leaving on a day were it was 90 deg and when we came back at night the temp had dropped to 45 deg while crossing the mountains ...

I don't need to carry rain gear anymore since I got Goretex riding gear.

My camera and my RED umbrella!

Nice to have shade wherever you go.

Voni
sMiling

My camera and my RED umbrella!

Nice to have shade wherever you go.

Voni
sMiling

This becomes exceedingly obvious when you're standing next to your broken down motorcycle in the middle of nowhere on a hot day, waiting for the tow truck.

Your wallet.

It's no fun to be 60 miles from home when distance to empty is 10 miles and you discover you left your wallet on the dresser.

Hid a twenty on the bike two years ago, but these days I suppose I should add another one.

Make sure you make a note where you hid it, or like me you might forget. :laugh

I keep two twenties with my cell phone.

E.

multi tool/knife

A pen and paper, it can be more handy then your phone.

On a recent ride, I had an issue involving:

• Three foreign countries
  • Three foreign languages
  • One foreign roadside assistance service
  • Four foreign motorcycle dealerships
  • One "Ad Blue" fuel pump
  • One foreign airline

... and if I didn't have a pen, paper and a multitool available I would have really had a problem!

(and if it weren't for the tow truck driver... who was a gift from God... and WhatApp.... )

Back