• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2019 R1250RT with DTC P2614 (3A1B62) - Solved

michigander

TLDR
On my 2019 R1250RT I had DTC P2614 (3A1B62) -camshaft sensor detects incorrect amount of signals. This lights the MIL and limits torque output (I believe by limiting use of the higher lift cam position).

The fix was changing the bolt and spacer that holds the cam sprocket and reluctor wheel to the LH exh camshaft.

Part numbers from work order:
Bolt 11311540654
Spacer 11318394092

Shout out to Boxflyer for answering my cry for help early on with this.

Long version
I'm writing this to document my experience in case someone else runs into this issue because I found no reference to this anywhere on the internet.

I was performing my valve lash and cam timing check at about 13,000 miles. Valve lash was fine. Cam timing was slightly off. I adjusted (using BMW tools).

After buttoning it up, when I started the bike, it immediately set the check engine light (MIL). The only DTC present was P2614.

This is the description (from https://bmwfault.codes )

"The Digital Motor Electronics detects an incorrect amount of signals from the camshaft sensor.
Too many or too few camshaft signals are present within several camshaft rotations.
The number or sequence of the camshaft signals is implausible."

Below are the steps that website lists for this DTC:

Remove camshaft sensor and check for contamination (metal abrasion).
Check sensor gap to camshaft.
Check if the sensor wheel on the camshaft is twisted.
Check timing.
Check camshaft sensor.
Check increment wheel of crankshaft for tight fit.
Check wiring, wiring harness and plug connector to camshaft sensor.
Check wiring harness plug connector to DME

I rechecked everything, and eventually tried a new camshaft sensor, but still had the issue.

I decided to take it to my local dealer. They eventually tried the following (with direction from BMW tech hotline):

New cam sensor
New crank sensor
New wiring between cam sensor and ecu
New ecu

Finally (after my repeated prompting) they scoped the output of the sensor at the ecu and noticed that it was only seeing 2 out if the 3 teeth that it was supposed to see.

After consulting with the hotline, they were instructed to change the bolt and spacer used to hold the cam sprocket to the end of the camshaft. (See picture below).

This seems to have fixed the issue. There was some difference in the new bolt and new spacer. The old bolt was threaded the full length, and the spacer fit somewhat loosely on the bolt. The new bolt has a shank for the spacer to slide over. The new spacer had no slop (slip-fit).

I assume what happened is that by loosening the bolt to align the camshaft, the spacer shifted in one direction and after reinstalling the reluctor wheel this offset caused one of the teeth not to read properly.

I assume that this new bolt and spacer went into production at some point after my bike was built, so this may only affect early shiftcam engines. The problem does not seem to be rampant as the BMW tech hotline didn't recommend this until after weeks of trying other things. In fact, there are no bolts/spacers here in the States. My dealer pulled them from another bike in order to try this.

I was told that there was a "memo" related to this issue (not a TSB), but it was so well hidden that they didn't find it while researching this. I think it's interesting that the Tech hotline didn't even know about it.

I hope this never happens to anyone, but this may help save someone from the difficulty/downtime that I have been through.

Same happened to me while my bike (2019 RT) was at the dealer. Had it in for software update and warranty coolant sensor. Had them check valves/cam timing as well and all hell broke loose. This was right before we were leaving for the National rally so panic set in.
My dealer (D2 Powersports in Greer, SC) called into BMW and started to process of elimination. Bolt and washer on the reluctor wheel was the issue and they replaced w/ the upgraded part. They really handled the situation great.

On Max's parts fiche it lists the upgraded parts. I believe they were indicated with a "FIX" note or something like that.

Same happened to me while my bike (2019 RT) was at the dealer. Had it in for software update and warranty coolant sensor. Had them check valves/cam timing as well and all hell broke loose. This was right before we were leaving for the National rally so panic set in.
My dealer (D2 Powersports in Greer, SC) called into BMW and started to process of elimination. Bolt and washer on the reluctor wheel was the issue and they replaced w/ the upgraded part. They really handled the situation great.

On Max's parts fiche it lists the upgraded parts. I believe they were indicated with a "FIX" note or something like that.

Ok, so it has happened before.

Unfortunately, this issue wasn't known to whatever tech guys my dealer was talking to this summer.

It cost me 3 months of riding, but the dealer ate a few thousand in labor costs.

They only billed me for 2 hours of labor.

The Joy of 1st year / gen changes . Glad you are all solved :) Wonder what awaits the 1st year 1300 owners

The Joy of 1st year / gen changes . Glad you are all solved :) Wonder what awaits the 1st year 1300 owners

I can only imagine....

Didn't look to see if the replacement bolt/spacer was listed for other years than the 2019. Wouldn't be surprised if it took a few years to figure it out.

This is an interesting problem

View attachment 92846
Parts 15 and 16 are what was replaced.
A friend of mine had an exhaust cam bolt was stretched. He went adjust it and it dud not feel right so he removed it and the threads we stretched. The bolts are not common and BMW bolts had to be ordered. I wonder what is happening when the engine is assembled to cause these issues ?

Thanks for sharing this. I have a new to me '19 RT and will keep an eye out for this issue.

The dealer was kind enough to send me these photos of my bike with the issue, and a bike without the issue.

Bad cam signal .jpg
Bad Signal

Good cam signal.jpg
Good Signal

You can see that the "bad signal" is missing a gap, so the ECU is only seeing 2 teeth instead of 3.

The slop on the spacer-to-bolt must have been enough that the reluctor wheel moved when I loosenedthe bolt, closing the gap to the sensor, and causing the sensor to not see that gap but instead, one continuous tooth.

Back