• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Oil change trick--Punch a hole in the oil filter

Oh

And I thought getting the stupid O-ring and shim back into proper position on my airheads was a pain. LOL. St.

Does OF stand for Ohh Fudge :)

Certainly could! Generally if needed, the forum won’t allow a more frequent use of a completed expression reserved for, in a case like this, when an air-chisel penetrates the engine block. :eek

In this case, just Oil Filter. :)

OM

Al Jesse eventually came out with an NC tool-cut oil filter wrench with holes for screws if needed to remove a stuck filter.

Not for draining your filter, though.

And if you've owned a R1150 GSA, you know the filter has 3/16" of space all around it as it sits in a deep well. And even if you torqued it to spec and the filter socket just spins on it....6 sheet metal screws was all it took.

View attachment 93667

I note that bhodges (the OP) hasn’t posted on his thread since he initiated it. If you are still monitoring the thread bhodges, then please come back and join in. This group would bicker if someone posted that water is wet. And, if it works for you then it is right for you.

I note that bhodges (the OP) hasn’t posted on his thread since he initiated it. If you are still monitoring the thread bhodges, then please come back and join in. This group would bicker if someone posted that water is wet. And, if it works for you then it is right for you.

The same thread has been started at BMWSporttouring.

I haven’t checked for a few days but I believe the responses have been more favourable over there than here. Personally great if it works for you but I have no interest in trying it. I am more than capable at screwing things up when I do stuff as a manual states. I need no further help in making what I do even worse. :laugh

I really didn't feel the need to defend my post. I posted it only to offer what I thought was a clever way to make oil changes easier.

I respect other peoples opinions and usually learn something I hadn't thought of. Having said that, I was surprised at the fear of punching a hole in a oil filter. It is after all just a thin metal can with filter media in it. You'd have to pound a punch a long way into it to damage anything. If I'd thought there was danger in tapping a hole in the filter I would of posted a warning.

I've ridden motorcycles for almost 750,000 miles and I do all my own maintenance from oil changes to complete engine overhauls...I'm not an expert but I know my way around a garage.

I'm pretty sure that nobody cares about punching a hole in the filter... It's the transfer of stress to the mounting threads that may bother some. And if it's over-tightened, some of that stress may make it to the finely-machined mating surface on the bottom of the oil pickup.

In the “isn’t that nice” department, my Nissan NV van has a shoe-horn looking drip diverter- from the factory!

and a dip-stick ;)

OM

I'm pretty sure that nobody cares about punching a hole in the filter... It's the transfer of stress to the mounting threads that may bother some. And if it's over-tightened, some of that stress may make it to the finely-machined mating surface on the bottom of the oil pickup.

Actually, if there was any movement at all, the tap on the bottom of the filter would momentarily take stress off the threads pushing the filter toward the block.

I can not imagine how taking a sharp awl and punching a hole in the filter will stress the threads or the mating surfaces. Think about some of the threads where guys could not remove a stuck filter and chiseled the old one off with no apparent harm. The oil filter mount is tougher than it needs to be.

Now if you are using a blunt pin punch and a two pounder then perhaps, but I would recommend you stop servicing your bike yourself and take it to a shop at that point.

Last edited:
Good points, PaulG and PUB.... sometimes I get too darn analytical... but I do like the idea of holes in the filter wrench for the sheet-metal screws.

Just an aside ... A couple of weeks ago, a neighbor (w/ 2 HDs and enough mechanical experience) has a recent Chevy SUV and wanted to change his oil & filter... With all of his tools and all of my tools, we just could not get into the "protected cavity" to grab that sucker! He finally went to the local FAPS to buy the special thin-wall cup wrench that it required... grrr... :banghead

Just an aside ... A couple of weeks ago, a neighbor (w/ 2 HDs and enough mechanical experience) has a recent Chevy SUV and wanted to change his oil & filter... With all of his tools and all of my tools, we just could not get into the "protected cavity" to grab that sucker! He finally went to the local FAPS to buy the special thin-wall cup wrench that it required... grrr... :banghead

Your friend might consider switching to a filter brand like K&N, which has a hex nut welded on the bottom of the filter so an ordinary socket or wrench can facilitate removal.

Best,
DeVern

But now that he has "the special wrench"... no need for a K&N-type.
And besides, K&N has gotten a LOT of negative reviews... including in this forum...

I appreciate OP...

...As well as those with analytical tendencies.

As for me...
-I kinda like spilling a little oil, it feels manly.
-I'm also a certified thread killer. (this kind, not the finely machined ones on my engine casing, at least not yet)
-IMO this is a great op to pad the ole post count.

Will admins intervene? :clap

Dang I miss riding so much. First snow this morning. :violin

Back