• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oil Drain Plug Torque

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
I happened to come across a video where an owner who changed the oil/filter on his 2017 R1200 GS. My 2016 R1200 GSA would be the same as the oil drain plug has the same part number and size M20 x 1.5.

When it came to torquing the oil drain plug, he mentioned a two stage process of 23 Nm (17 lbf.ft.) and 32 Nm (23.5 lbf.ft.). I am just wondering where that spec came from since the BMW Owner's/Rider's Manual no longer lists any real information.

My Haynes Manual lists 42 Nm (31 lbf.ft.) and since day-one back in 2016, I torque the oil drain plug to 25 lbf.ft. (my choice) simply because we are torquing into an engine case instead of a replaceable oil pan. I never had an issue of a leak or losing the drain plug.

JVB R1200 oil change does list those values - will check the BMW service manual shortly

Maybe on that generation of R1200 which appears to be a non-water-cooled model. I went from an oilhead R1150 GS to a R1200 GSA LC and missed the ones in between. Could be because earlier R1200 models used an M16 x 1.5 threaded oil drain plug...lower torque value. My 2016 R1200 GSA LC uses an M20 x 1.5 threaded oil drain plug.

BMW Mottorad Service DVD just lists 32nm, no two step instructions, for my 07RT

So that owner of a 2017 R1200 GSA LC is using the spec from an older non-water-cooled R1200 GSA by mistake. Not a concern as he is using 25 lbf.ft. as I am, except I am using a lower torque value by choice; he is using it because of a wrongful spec.

All perfectly clear now. :thumb

wow somebody posted this on the FB page... 42 nm? Dammm.. That sounds high... My Wunderlicker crash bars were to be torqued to 45 nm..

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 12.52.03.png

wow somebody posted this on the FB page... 42 nm? Dammm.. That sounds high... My Wunderlicker crash bars were to be torqued to 45 nm..

Looking at the diameter of the oil drain plug (M20 x 1.5), it is actually perfectly normal. But to play it safe since my R1200 GSA LC does not have a replaceable aluminum oil pan (like my R100GS), I reduce it from 31 lbf.ft. to 25 lbf.ft.

Looking at the M18 x 1.5 oil drain plug on my Porsche 991.1, Porsche calls for 50 Nm (37 lbf.ft.). Not too worried and I use 35 lbf.ft. as it has a replaceable aluminum oil pan.

Thanks for the info/confirmation.

What are the head markings for the bolt? Like 8.8 or 10.9. Don't they lead one to an idea of the typical torque for a given bolt/application?

What are the head markings for the bolt? Like 8.8 or 10.9. Don't they lead one to an idea of the typical torque for a given bolt/application?

Normally yes and it also depends on the pitch and other material it is screwed into, but not on a drain plug, plus the factory one is magnetic.

View attachment 97540
This is the Torque Sheet that I created. There is one also for the R1200 WetHead.
Every value was directly from the Factory DVD for the WetHead or ShiftHead.
If you are interested in downloading a copy let me know and I can post the link to them.

This is the Torque Sheet that I created. Every value was directly from the Factory DVD for the WetHead or ShiftHead.
If you are interested in downloading a copy let me know and I can post the link to them.

Hello Boxflyer,

I'd like a copy of your torque sheet for my 2016 R1200 GSA LC. Either post it here if permitted or send me a PM. I've seen quite a few of your YT videos. I was the one some years ago that thought you flew a SHORT with your BOXFLYER username.

WetHead, ShiftHead? How did they come up with those? As long as they don't call them a Pan Head of a Knuckle Head. LOL

Thanks to Boxflyer for the informative torque specifications. EVERYBODY, notice that many of those specifications are in INCH pounds, not foot pounds. Please be careful.

PAUL,
It’s very intentional that the values are in Inch Pounds.
Using a torque wrench with Foot Pounds is not the appropriate tool for MOST of these fasteners since they are such LOW values.

As an example, the pinch bolt for the Timing Reluctor on the LH EXH Cam calls for 5Nm, that’s 3.6 Foot Pounds, which means it’s appropriate to use the proper tool with higher RESOLUTION…and hence the listing reference in Inch Pounds.

It seems that the old mechanics trick of not using a tool substantially larger than then the fastener. :thumb
OM

Back