• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Noob looking into a Used RT , what do I need to know?

I’m pretty capable mechanically. I’ve not had much bike wrenching in my background but I’ve worked with tools in my hands all my life. I am pretty confident given the correct manual I can tackle pretty much anything mechanical. What other service items might be common on a bike with 40-50k miles?? The one I spoke with the owner about had just had the rear shock replaced, what’s the likelihood of the front shock replacement being in the on deck circle??? What else is common on these bikes?
A rear main seal or transmission input shaft seal can leak and oil the clutch disk. An aftermarket clutch kit is $250 or less, the seals about $120. All these seals can be replaced without opening the engine or transmission cases. The labor is what makes dealer cost so high for a clutch. The bike's rear sub frame and all the parts attached to it have to come off and the unit transmission slid off the back of the engine. 10 hours DIY labor wouldn't be too much to estimate but it's just a matter of removing one part at a time until the back of the engine is exposed, replacing the needed parts, then reassembling the bike. A manual details the procedure. I did this job at 192,000 miles on my 2007. The clutch disk was still serviceable in thickness but what forced R & R was the transmission input shaft bearing was worn and allowed the shaft to wobble and destroy the seal. Used eBay 40k transmission and a new clutch kit came to $800 in 2017. Hexhead drive shafts don't last forever but shouldn't need replacement or rebuild before 80 or 100K. Final drives can leak out of one of two seals. One seal is a messy rear wheel but doesn't destroy the final drive bearing right away. The other seal leak can ruin the bearing in short order.

A rear main seal or transmission input shaft seal can leak and oil the clutch disk. An aftermarket clutch kit is $250 or less, the seals about $120. All these seals can be replaced without opening the engine or transmission cases. The labor is what makes dealer cost so high for a clutch. The bike's rear sub frame and all the parts attached to it have to come off and the unit transmission slid off the back of the engine. 10 hours DIY labor wouldn't be too much to estimate but it's just a matter of removing one part at a time until the back of the engine is exposed, replacing the needed parts, then reassembling the bike. A manual details the procedure. I did this job at 192,000 miles on my 2007. The clutch disk was still serviceable in thickness but what forced R & R was the transmission input shaft bearing was worn and allowed the shaft to wobble and destroy the seal. Used eBay 40k transmission and a new clutch kit came to $800 in 2017. Hexhead drive shafts don't last forever but shouldn't need replacement or rebuild before 80 or 100K. Final drives can leak out of one of two seals. One seal is a messy rear wheel but doesn't destroy the final drive bearing right away. The other seal leak can ruin the bearing in short order.

Thanks, Dave, that’s great information and very encouraging considering I’m looking at bikes with 50k miles or less

so i went and looked at the 2007 today and bought it. Its in great shape mechanically, cosmetically its got a few anomalies..... mostly on the extremities, i'd bet that its been tipped over at least once on each side. I can live with the appearance and it gives me something to work on and improve. the engine runs like a sewing machine, smoooooth, shifts well, brakes are super i just need to raise the seat as i'm about 4-5 inches taller than the seller.349544974_1297395734318622_4810793800330565173_n.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice looking bike. That must be the low seat option. My 07RT stock seat looked like this before I got the RDL for comparison.

PNG image.png

Nice looking bike. That must be the low seat option. My 07RT stock seat looked like this before I got the RDL for comparison.

View attachment 92015

I was just reviewing the manual i found on line and it looks like its pretty simple to raise the seat, hopefully it goes high enough to suit me. i didn't find it too cramped on the test ride but i only went about 5 miles.

Comparing the pictures i can really see the difference in the 2 seats. how do you like the new seat you put on? I'd love to try a standard height seat to see if i like it better before i spend a bunch on a new seat.

Comparing the pictures i can really see the difference in the 2 seats. how do you like the new seat you put on? I'd love to try a standard height seat to see if i like it better before i spend a bunch on a new seat.

For long distance riding the RDL is great. It is the favorite of Iron Butt riders. It isn’t the prettiest seat and can pose problems for short people because it raises the stock between one and two inches depending on the build, but you will never deal with a sore butt again.

I don’t know if you can just swap a stock seat with the low seat option so maybe someone else can chime in. I do think you can find a used stock seat easily since so many are upgraded though. Also sometimes the bike itself is lowered as another option for those who are inseam challenged. Do you know if yours is?

How tall are you?

Here is my link for my seat swap if interested.
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?74988-Russell-Day-Long-Holiday-Special-15-off

I'm 5-11 with a 30" inseam. I've been snooping around on the marketplace here, facebook marketplace and ebay at used seats. It looks to me as the seat pans are all the same and the only difference between the low seat and the standard is the foam and covers. if i can find a nice standard height seat with the heater for reasonable price I'd be very glad to buy it. I became a big fan of heated seats yesterday on the test ride at 50 degrees!! Most of what i've seen are either in poor condition, no heat or so pricey that it would seem to be smarter to just buy a new seat. Is there a place on here for parts wanted or does that go directly on the market place ?? I'm sure theres a nice heated seat that will fit in someones basement collecting dust.

I'm 5-11 with a 30" inseam. I've been snooping around on the marketplace here, facebook marketplace and ebay at used seats. It looks to me as the seat pans are all the same and the only difference between the low seat and the standard is the foam and covers. if i can find a nice standard height seat with the heater for reasonable price I'd be very glad to buy it. I became a big fan of heated seats yesterday on the test ride at 50 degrees!! Most of what i've seen are either in poor condition, no heat or so pricey that it would seem to be smarter to just buy a new seat. Is there a place on here for parts wanted or does that go directly on the market place ?? I'm sure theres a nice heated seat that will fit in someones basement collecting dust.

You can’t post items for sale or wanted in this forum. Use the marketplace link in the above header or Facebook marketplace instead.

Looks like the part number you need is 52 53 7 683 654

Last edited:
I don’t know if you can just swap a stock seat with the low seat option so maybe someone else can chime in. I do think you can find a used stock seat easily since so many are upgraded though. Also sometimes the bike itself is lowered as another option for those who are inseam challenged. Do you know if yours is?

I know for a fact that the 1150s you can just swap the different height seats, they all just drop in, (there are 3 different heights) so I imagine you can swap the 1200s.

My 1150 (used) came with a low seat and I needed a higher one, but in my search I found that they don’t come with a unique part number on the underside so you need to eyeball them in photos which makes the process interesting to say the least.

Somewhere, either in the archives here or on an online search there’s a photo comparison of the 3 seats (for the 1150s).

I know for a fact that the 1150s you can just swap the different height seats, they all just drop in, (there are 3 different heights) so I imagine you can swap the 1200s.

My 1150 (used) came with a low seat and I needed a higher one, but in my search I found that they don’t come with a unique part number on the underside so you need to eyeball them in photos which makes the process interesting to say the least.

Somewhere, either in the archives here or on an online search there’s a photo comparison of the 3 seats (for the 1150s).

Thanks for the information, I'll do a search for that thread witht ehe comparison photo. I think i may have found a set with the standard height drivers seat. The seller took them off his 2007 and replaced with sargent seats when his bike was new. They've been sitting in his basement gathering dust for years. I just need to work out a time to go pick them up.

Congratulations on your purchase. I hope you have many enjoyable miles ahead of you.

Thanks Dave, I'm very much looking forward to it. I'm just waiting for the rain to stop so i can ride it. Its been raining since i bought it and is supposed to keep raining for the next several days

Aren't the alternators on the wet heads a major project like the clutches on the camheads?

I chose the 2011 camhead motor over a wet head [ and I own one of those in a 16RS also ] when looking for a second motor to ride. 20 years of perfecting that air/oil cooled motor, everything had been sorted out by the time the camheads were available.

Didn't the early wet head engines have teething issues with alternators, etc?

And water pumps. Some later ones have cam issues.

I went and got the bike today, i was hoping to ride it home but between the incessant rain and difficulty finding someone who was able to give me a lift to the sellers house ( about an hour and a half ride) i just hooked up the trailer and brought it home on the trailer in the rain. i wiped down after getting it in the shop and played around with the seat. I found i could flat foot the bike with the seat in the high position with some room under my butt (tough to say how much) so I'm thinking the standard seat in the lower position should be just about right with more padding under my tush (i seem to recall seeing some chart that shows them very close in height) .

Congratulations on getting it home.

I'm 5' 5" and haven't been able to flatfoot a bike since a metric cruiser I had ages ago. My 07 has a Mayer seat and I can touch the toes and little more of my boots. The balance of these boxers is great and I don't need any more reach to the ground to be comfortable pushing it around while seated. The hex head has a tight seat to peg distance and I enjoy my lowered pegs even with 28" inseam.

Back