• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New Member From Upstate New York

jagdpanther

Hello My name is Jamie and I live in Gilbertsville, New York. I just purchased my first bike a 1997 R1100RT from Schlossmann BMW in Milwaukee, who I have to say were absolutely fantastic to deal with, and will have it delivered here sometime in May. As of yet I haven't even my motorcycle permit but will take care of that soon and will attend a MSF Basic Rider Course May 11, 12 and 13th and should be licensed shortly thereafter. Our plan is to take a trip up through Maine in July to do some sightseeing, for the moment I mainly spend a lot of time of Revzilla looking at the gear reviews as the wife and I will be kitting ourselves out soon.

113937051_2thumb_770x574.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful bike

Very impressive purchase. It sounds like you got your adventure cut out for you and the mrs. Exciting stuff, new beemer, shopping for gear, taking the BRC. I am curious, is this your first bike?

NYS Noob

Hello Jamie,

Welcome to the family. Sounds like you have a good plan put together. The MSF is a wonderful idea to safely acquire the basic skills you will need to ride your bike outside the confines of the range parking lot.

If you would like to consider a shorter "shakedown cruise" prior to heading off to Maine, you might be interested in joining us for the 20th annual Airheads at the Aerodrome not too far from you in the mid Hudson Valley. Send me an email to:
mfriedle@verizon.net and I will send you the event flier.

Hope to see you on the road soon.

Michael Friedle
BMW MOA Ambassador
Poughkeepsie, NY
BMW MOA # 15249
MSF # 27713

Post Sent

Hello Jamie,

Welcome to the family. Sounds like you have a good plan put together. The MSF is a wonderful idea to safely acquire the basic skills you will need to ride your bike outside the confines of the range parking lot.

If you would like to consider a shorter "shakedown cruise" prior to heading off to Maine, you might be interested in joining us for the 20th annual Airheads at the Aerodrome not too far from you in the mid Hudson Valley. Send me an email to:
mfriedle@verizon.net and I will send you the event flier.

Hope to see you on the road soon.

Michael Friedle
BMW MOA Ambassador
Poughkeepsie, NY
BMW MOA # 15249
MSF # 27713

I sent you a post requesting the event information. Thank you.

Jamie

Welcome Aboard!

Jamie,

Welcome to the club and the forum - poke around on here and you can find or ask any number of questions from gear to suggestions for more advanced courses which will further your riding skills.

Enjoy the beautiful new bike and be safe out there.

Thanks for being a member!

Welcome. l suggest you get some miles under your belt then take Lee Parks Total Control riding clinic. The money you spend on skills is a far better investment than adding stuff to the bike. Ride safe.

Really nice looking blue RT you have there Jamie. Welcome & thank you for being a Member! :wave

lol...yes my very first. :)

I asked, because this was my first bike, at the age of 41. A few people tried to convince me that bike was too big for my first bike. I'm living proof that if you take your training seriously and progress yourself in a logical manner, in short order that bike will be like a second skin. If your interested pm me and I can lay out the progression plan that worked for me.

Ranger Reece

View attachment 49144

Deliverance

My bike was delivered in good order Sunday last, since then I've been taking near daily 5- 10 mile familiarization jaunts ahead of my BRC. I was pretty shaky at first but already things are starting to smooth out for me. I'm looking forward to the BRC to not only improve my skills but for the freedom to ride unrestricted as well. On a technical note I am experiencing the alternating flashing ABS fault bit. :scratch My hope is that this is a result of the battery being uncharged for so long and that it will work itself out with use?

First Blood 020.jpg
First Blood 021.jpg
First Blood 008.jpg

Back