• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: 19 September 2008

mika

Still Wondering
Happy Birthday

US Forest Service: Fall color guide

urbanext.uiuc.edu: The Miracle of Fall – About Fall Color

237640131_uKstm-L.jpg

mtomag.com: G 450 X test

triumph.co.uk: The ultimate hooligan project bike update

hellforleathermagazine.com: 2009 Ducati 1198 gets bigger engine, more powerbloggreenmagazine.com[/url] Met the Higgins –Aube Energya

auto
energya_render.jpg

239852415_rhPZj-L.jpg

autoweek.com: Formula One team principals form new group.

240145146_bEXKZ-L.jpg

topspeed.com: Confidential document reveals details on the Ferrari FX70

congoo.com: BMW Canada reduces pricing on 2009 models.

238372550_gEvAn-M.jpg

Thread: BMW Motorrad wants to hear from you. Survey link enclosed.

237925770_HoJge-XL.jpg

Stuff

webbikeworld.com: Book review – The Fine Art of the Motorcycle Engine

182526939_JkRJz-Ti.jpg

Packers Blog – jsonline.com
Packers.com – News from the football shrine
Green Bay Post Gazette: Packer News, Commentary

Offical site of the Premier League

GasBuddy.com has gas temperature maps intended to let you see what gas prices are around the US and Canada. Areas are color coded according to the reported local average price for regular unleaded gasoline.
US
Canada

Wonderings

I have been wondering about alternative fuels for some time. Posts about them find there way into the Stuff department on a regular basis. The core of what I am wondering about here is the impact of changes in energy mean to our passion – motorcycles.

This week and in the past I posted a link to an article about a new electric motorcycle. The bike was attractive to me visually. From what I have read about electric vehicles in general they have the linear acceleration that I liked about my RX7’s rotary engine. They lack the exhaust not that is part of the part of the joy of ridding even our quiet BMWs. MIT has worked on a sound generator for a Prius and other electric vehicles as a pedestrian safety issue. Perhaps they will develop a solution for us if we end up as electric cowboys.

Ethanol enhanced fuel is a fact of life in my region. The pros and cons are debated in very general cage terms. The impact on a motorcycle over the long haul is greater on a motorcycle than on a car, if I understand things properly. Yet in my research I have not found much motorcycle specific information that is not anecdotal in nature.

Ethanol is called an interim solution as we move to other fuels. T. Boone Pickens is pushing CNG in advertisements in my region. He touted his energy policy in person at the recent Iowa State Fair. BMW committed itself to hydrogen development some time ago. What do these mean for motorcycles? There are three issues that come to mind as you apply them to the two wheeled world.

First is range. In my reading so far the draw back to CNG vehicles is they have about half the range of gasoline based vehicles. In my daily commuting my Roadster’s low fuel light would go on at 80 miles instead of 160 or better if that is the case for motorcycles.

This takes me to my second issue, fuel tanks. In these next generations alternative fuels seem to require very different tanks and in multi fuel option cages multiple tanks. The tanks are sturdier and as a result heavier.

This takes me to the third concern of handling and safety. The weight of any sized alternative fuel tank mounted in the traditional tank location will impact the center of gravity and thus handling. Size to adjust to the range we are accustomed to will exacerbate this. As for safety; how will these hold up in an accident on the street or in the dirt? The tanks can be put in some sort of protective zone in a cage application. On a motorcycle they will be hanging out in the open.

I have a lot of questions and no answers. Some of you are engineers or in other fields that deal with these topics. There is a need for motorcycle related articles, in general and specifically here on the forum or in ON. I am not an engineer nor do I play one on television. I guess that takes me to the last thing I am wondering about. When are you going to publish?

:lurk

Bike Candy

375487503_5u6mY-M.jpg

via: Bikes in the Fast Lane

THE END

Ethanol is called an interim solution as we move to other fuels. T. Boone Pickens is pushing CNG in advertisements in my region. He touted his energy policy in person at the recent Iowa State Fair. BMW committed itself to hydrogen development some time ago. What do these mean for motorcycles? There are three issues that come to mind as you apply them to the two wheeled world.

As I recall even CNG is an interim solution until other fuels and technologies come on line. Does anyone know for certain that ethanol is not part of the high test blend?

Where you live, for me it was late night early edition put out and on the streets for the morning reader. Got to love those time zones.
:wave

I figured as much...

Thanks for all the hard work you do putting this together. It's better than the newspaper.:wave

Back