• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1994 R100RT Annual Inspection/Maintenance

Shopping list

I need to order a few things and thought I'd see what you guys think I should have on the shelf.

Oil filter
Crush washers for the Trans fill plug, shaft fill plug, bevel fill plug
Carb bowl gaskets
valve cover gaskets

??????

What else will I likely need and may as well order now and just have on the shelf? It will save shipping to order it all at once.

IMG_9771.jpeg
Also......I suspect there are boots (gaiters) that should be here? And what goes in the smaller rectangular hole? I really don't want to disassemble the whole front fork assembly to put these boots on. Are they really necessary?
Thoughts on this too please.

Thanks for your inputs

Bill

I need to order a few things and thought I'd see what you guys think I should have on the shelf.

Oil filter
Crush washers for the Trans fill plug, shaft fill plug, bevel fill plug
Carb bowl gaskets
valve cover gaskets

??????

What else will I likely need and may as well order now and just have on the shelf? It will save shipping to order it all at once.

View attachment 91268
Also......I suspect there are boots (gaiters) that should be here? And what goes in the smaller rectangular hole? I really don't want to disassemble the whole front fork assembly to put these boots on. Are they really necessary?
Thoughts on this too please.

Thanks for your inputs

Bill

There are covers that are originally installed and the square area has a plug. Like many of us who owned these bikes, the boots and plug were removed to get as much air to the rider as possible. As nice as the RT fairing is, it was pretty miserable for me on anything more than 70F.

Shelf

Air filter, spark plugs would be two items, you can order stuff now and beat any future cost increase. Your list covers everything I have on my shelf.

As for the fairing, BMW used a pain in the butt rubber thingy to seal around the fork leg. I removed mine on both my RS and RT long ago and installed the full length gaiters on the forks. The big reason for installing the gaiters is they protect the fork tubes from bugs, dirt and such which tears up the fork seals. Before I did this, I would replace fork seals once a year. Since installing the gaiters, I changed fork seals two times in 160,000 miles. Adding the gaiters is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

LOL, to be honest, in all the years of riding in the rain and occasional snow storm, I have never noticed a whole lot of air/snow/rain coming up through the unblocked holes now. Yeah, on a hot humid day, the RT/RS fairings can get a bit much. LOL, even the vents in the side of the RT fairing don't move a whole lot of air to help. Kinda the reason I am looking at a naked bike to replace my RS. St.

Back