• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Winter Project is Done

88bmwjeff

SF Bay Area
So, back in November, I figured I’d spend about a month or two doing some much needed repairs/maintenance on my 1988 R100 RT. My plan was to replace the timing chain, rebuild the master brake cylinder and replace the brake hoses, have the drive shaft U-joints replaced and replace the leaking neutral switch. So in early December, I started. Well, here I am about six months later finally wrapping it up. Of course, there were plenty of “while I’m there” items that I hadn’t considered that were replaced or rebuilt

For starters, I didn’t expect California to have a record cold and wet winter. The garage was so cold, I delayed going out until it was warmer, which was few and far between. While I looked into a space heater, I just could justify the expense for something I figured I’d use for only a few months. Given the new weather patterns, things turned to very hot relatively quick
Here’s a quick summary of everything I did. If you want a bit more description, see the following post.

Timing Chain (Timing Chain, Crank Sprocket/Bearing/Etc.)
Alternator (New Brushes, New Wiring Harness)
Ignition System (Wedgetail ignition, Wiring Harness)
Gas Tank (Dent Removal, Clean & Reseal, Gas Cap Clean & New Gaskets, Petcocks Rebuilt)
Drive Shaft Rebuilt w/ new U-Joints
New Swing Arm Bearings
Rear Shock Rebuild
Transmission (Neutral Switch replaced, Neutral Switch/Oil Pressure Switch Wiring Harness replaced, Replaced clutch throw-out bearing with newer style, Gear Lever New Bush & Pivot Bolt)
Front Brake Overhaul (Rebuilt Calipers, New Brake Pads, Replaced Master Cylinder, New Hoses and Pipes)
New Rubber Carb Connectors (Also swapped out the carbs for my clean pair)
New Positive & Negative Cables
Annual service

Looking back, I spent about twice as much as I thought I would, but I’m glad the bike’s back in good working order.

It felt good to put gas in the tank and press start. It kicked over pretty quickly, but it ran rough and really couldn’t idle. Some carb adjustments, a warm up ride and some more carb adjustments. Once things were adjusted properly, the bike ran very well.

Last edited:
For those who would like a longer more detailed description, here it is.

I slowly worked through each area inspecting parts and electrical wires. I ended up replacing just about all of the electrical wiring that connects to the engine. After 35+ years and ±105k miles, much of the wire insulation was hard and brittle.

While replacing the timing chain, I inspected the alternator, brushes, wiring, etc. I ended up replacing the all the wiring harnesses and the alternator brushes. Unfortunately, I buggered up both electrical connector for the timing/bean can and the ignition wiring harness. I ordered replacement connectors, which I failed at trying to replaced. Electrical connectors like this are a weakness of mine. I ended up buying a new ignition wiring harness; however, the connector to the bean can was another story. The wiring harness on the bean can was also hard and somewhat brittle and the only way to replace them is with a new hall effect sensor. I did not want to try and open the bean can to replace the hall effect sensor. Given the cost of having the hall effect sensor replaced or purchasing a rebuilt unit, I opted to go with an upgrade here. I ordered the Wedgetail ignition sensor. As plus, it eliminates the weights to advance the timing. The Wedgetail was one of the last items installed.

Timing was supposed to be relatively easy using the static timing mark on the flywheel and the trigger indicator on the Wedgetail ignition control module. However, I found it difficult to get it at the point they recommend. The Wedgetail ignition control module has a trigger light and a control module light. The instructions and the video put out by Wedgetail say to adjust the timing can until just the trigger light comes on. However, no matter how I tried, both lights came on. The bike runs OK at the moment, but I wonder if the timing is just a little off. I may just put a timing light on it and see how close I am.

My gas tank needed a dent removed and I found a paintless dent repair place that did wonders. You can barely tell where the dent was. The paint looks a little off, but there’s no evidence of the dent. Next, it was time to drop the tank off to get it cleaned and resealed. Of course, I had to drive 1.0-1.5 hours in different directions to the dent remover and the place the cleaned and resealed the tank. I also rebuilt the petcocks and replaced the rubber seal on the gas cap.

While the gas tank was off getting a refresh, I moved on to removing the drive shaft and sending it off to get the U-joints replaced. Well, the shop I sent it too got inundated with snow and power outages on top of supply /delay issues with regards to getting the replacement U-joint. That took about eight weeks. While the swing arm was removed, I also replaced the swing arm bearings.

While I was waiting for the drive shaft to come back, I moved on to replacing the neutral switch and refreshing the front brake system.

The transmission came out, splines cleaned and lubed. I was prepared to replace the rear main seal and oil pump O-ring if either were leaking. Neither were, so I left things be. I hope Murphy doesn’t come in play here and have it start leaking a few hundred miles after it’s all back together. I had obtained the newest style throw-out bearing from friend years ago and while I had things apart, it was a good time to install it. When I took a look at the wiring harness for the neutral switch/oil pressure sending unit, it too needed to be replaced. While the transmission was out I took a look at the bolt and bushing for the shifter, and they were worn. So, they were replaced and there is much less play in the shifter now. The bushing and bolt for the rear brake lever looked OK, so they were just cleaned and re-greased.

Rebuilding the front calipers went well. Everything was in good condition and they only needed a good cleaning and new seals. Here’s a tip to remove the caliper pistons if you don’t have a air compressor. I do have an electric air pump (110 volt), which I typically use to add air to tires, that worked just as well and the pistons slowly moved out. I also replaced the brake lines (the hard ones at wheel and stainless-steel lines). However, when I got to the master cylinder, things were not as good. The area around the circlip for the plunger was very corroded as was the area where the reservoir connected to the base. Given my limited knowledge, experience and tools, I felt it was best to just buy a new one. I believe it was less expensive and quicker than paying someone to rebuild it, if it even made sense to.

One thing I was in denial about was my rear shock. Last time I rode the bike, I heard some sucking sounds as I bounced up and down on the seat. I figured after 15+ years, the seals had dried up and needed to be replaced. At first, it looked as though I would not be able to get the shock rebuilt. I purchased a Works shock and it first appeared that they were out of business. Well, they sort of were. The guy who started the company passed away and the company was shut down. About two years after that, his daughter (according to their website) decided to start things back up under the name Worx Shocks. So, as I was nearing the end of the refurbishing, I realized the shock should be rebuilt and that I shouldn’t wait until later. Consequently, that was the last major item to come in/back to me. Luckily, that only took about three weeks.

Once everything was back together all the fluids were changed, valves checked, timing set, and carbs adjusted.

Good job

Well Jeff, you did a good job and got a lot done. I bet you had fun at the same time? At least I hope you did. LOL, your grocery list sounds about like mine from the winter before last when I overhauled my RT. My wiring harnesses lasted a bit longer 220,000 miles but yeah, were toast.

Did you buy new harnesses from EME? I did, they are pretty good except I found a few mis crimped terminals. Norm at EME was VERY good about that issue and getting it solved.

It sure is nice to ride a pretty "new" airhead. It is doubtful I will last till the next 100,000 rebuild. But I sure will give it a try. Good riding. St.

Who did your paintless dent removal?

Congrats on getting all that work done. I'm curious who did the paintless dent removal on your gas tank, I'm currently working on my son's 2002 Honda Nighthawk and will need that service. I'm in Mill Valley but would travel to the East Bay to get a satisfactory job.

Adam

Congrats on getting all that work done. I'm curious who did the paintless dent removal on your gas tank, I'm currently working on my son's 2002 Honda Nighthawk and will need that service. I'm in Mill Valley but would travel to the East Bay to get a satisfactory job.

Adam

I used DentExpress in Vacaville https://www.dentexpresspdr.com/ . In case you need it, Howard Avenue Radiator in San Carlos was recommended to clean and reseal the tank. I thought both services were reasonably priced.

Well Jeff, you did a good job and got a lot done. I bet you had fun at the same time? At least I hope you did. LOL, your grocery list sounds about like mine from the winter before last when I overhauled my RT. My wiring harnesses lasted a bit longer 220,000 miles but yeah, were toast.

Did you buy new harnesses from EME? I did, they are pretty good except I found a few mis crimped terminals. Norm at EME was VERY good about that issue and getting it solved.

It sure is nice to ride a pretty "new" airhead. It is doubtful I will last till the next 100,000 rebuild. But I sure will give it a try. Good riding. St.

Steven, Yes I used EME for most of my parts. I agree, EME's service is top notch. However, some parts were purchased from Motobins. I didn't notice any mis crimped terminals, but the harnesses I replaces were pretty basic. I probably should replace my main harness, but I'm not in the mood to go down that rabbit hole at the moment. BTW, I can see a big difference in charging with the new harnesses for the alternator coupled with the new brushes and cleaning of the rotor contacts.

It was fun most of the time. I'm a bit older now than when I last really tore into the bike for repair. My body wasn't as forgiving and my eyesight made it very difficult at times to see things up close in tight areas of the bike.

Back