• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

More Cardo Questions!

We occasionally ride with two octogenarians on Spyders who decided they need PackTalks. Our rides are normally short rides for lunch at a local cafe. Both are challenged by technology and I am certain will find using the PackTalks difficult. We go for our first ride with all four of us connected today. Should be entertaining…. Pray for us. 🙏

IMO, you need to set them up sitting in your livingroom in air conditioning, relaxing. The first time my wife and I went for a ride went spent two hours messing with them, after I thought they were set up! We gave up and had intercom, but notice we wanted, or maybe expected! If the four of you just want to talk over one channel it will be relatively easy. Add streaming music from your phone and it adds a bit. Try to run two different groups so you can have private conversations with your wife or buddy only, good luck, I'm not there yet!

Packtalks are not for the technology inept!

IMO, you need to set them up sitting in your livingroom in air conditioning, relaxing. The first time my wife and I went for a ride went spent two hours messing with them, after I thought they were set up! We gave up and had intercom, but notice we wanted, or maybe expected! If the four of you just want to talk over one channel it will be relatively easy. Add streaming music from your phone and it adds a bit. Try to run two different groups so you can have private conversations with your wife or buddy only, good luck, I'm not there yet!

Packtalks are not for the technology inept!

Shoot, I can barely remember to charge them before we head for a ride. We usually are geared up, getting hot, trying to leave, when I start deciding to get the book out to mesh them and proceed.

I like your suggestion.

I figured I should post an update.

I have used the Cardo Palktalks on several rides of 3-4 hours and they work well. I ditched the BMW USB connection and bought this Bluetooth transmitter,
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B07TLHRPDP/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=Avantree+Audikast+Plus+Bluetooth+5.0+Transmitter&qid=1630188501&s=electronics&sr=1-4
I put the transmitter in the RH glove box and power it through the BMW USB connector. I ran a 3.5 MM headphone extension cable back to under the seat. I had to drill a 3/8" hole for the wire to pass into the glove box that I sealed up with silicone sealer. The cable goes to this speaker line level, to low level convertor that I had installed earlier. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EAWS3W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This involved cutting into the speaker wires and soldering in the connections. I get sound through the factory speakers and the Bluetooth at the same time. So now this is done I get sound from what ever source the radio can play, but I loose the USB as a source as I am using it for power. I haven't used it is three years, I suspect I won't miss it. I might try a USB splitter to see if it will power the Bluetooth transmitter and also play music from a USB drive. I get adjustable volume from the wonder wheel, sound output to two headsets, and of course, intercom.

My buddy who moved out of state has a K1600 and just did the same install on his as we are heading to see them in a few weeks. More fun then messing with more settings to add them to the group.

So far I am satisfied, but it took more effort than I expected!

Keep in mind if you don't care about listening to the factory radio none of this matters! I wanted to use the factory radio as I listen to Sirius radio constantly and using a cell phone was not practical as my wife wants to listen too.

If you just want intercom it will be much simpler to make the Palktalks do what you need. Also consider the Palktalks have built in FM receivers so in more populated areas you can easily listen to FM. You can also listen to anything that sends out a Bluetooth signal, cell phone for example. The Palktalk will share music, but I was unimpressed at how it worked with the intercom. The rider can listen to his cell phone and the passenger to theirs if you like.

We just bought a Bold Duo set and so far so good. Very easy to use as far as just the intercom goes. Basically turn them on and go. Clarity and volume are excellent. We haven't stretched the range beyond a block. It was very enjoyable to ride with my wife - me on mine and she on hers. I could announce turns and concerns.

Back