• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2 questions about TFT sound/voice on new RT

tleonard

I have a new RT without a radio and use a Samsung S9 and Cardo Packtalk intercom.

My first question is that I can't figure out how to get voice commands when using the BMW app based navigation. The volume is set to high on my phone and voice commands are set to on in the nav. The navigation is working properly in indicating rights and lefts, etc. But there are no voice commands nor will -replaying last instruction- produce any sound.

The second question is that when streaming music I can start, pause, and end the music with the wonder wheel. I can also see the song info on the display but I can't control the volume with the wonder wheel. I can control the volume with the Cardo buttons but that turns down the intercom so I would like to have the music control on the bike.

Any ideas on these voice issues I haven't been able to figure out? Thank you.

I see a setting in the app under "Navigation settings" that says "Issue spoken directions via Bluetooth" and a second option to include active phone calls as well. Following these 2 primary options is a list of other options related to the voice prompts.

Music commands are likely to vary based on a LOT of things. Volume on the wonder wheel is finicky. Most people report that it does not work at all, and supporting that is the rider manual is at least implying that it requires a BMW branded comm (read- obsolete Sena) However- I've seen a couple folks report success with the Sena 50..

Get the latest TFT software- which ends in .50 now if I'm not mistaken. Then- see what improvements are there. From what I heard- the .40 update was a huge one. Not as much discussion about the .50 version.

I think I am pretty typical. I currently use a Sena 20S evo, but I am 2 versions behind on the software. (until tomorrow that is :) ) I have no wonder wheel volume- and I'm not really expecting that I will after the update, either. The wheel WILL mute if you turn it all the way down, but that's all the recognition I get given my equipment.

In the pictures are the 2 options that I believe you are referring too. I have tried them both checked and unchecked. It is a bit confusing to me as the checked box displays -off- on the right. Regardless, neither way works.

The phone works as it should. No problem there.

Odd that you say there is no music volume control when you can start, stop, and pause the music. And the song title displays. I am not nearly tech enough to understand this.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220822_161836.jpg
    20220822_161836.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 170
  • 20220822_161918.jpg
    20220822_161918.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 168
Actually I was looking in the connected app itself. But still- the TFT nav works through the app- so it's kind of odd that the TFT setting (evidently) does not control the setting in the app.. here let me whip up a screenshot...

BBD05643-DC4E-493A-A4B6-BD2D07D112C5.png

I have a new RT without a radio and use a Samsung S9 and Cardo Packtalk intercom.

My first question is that I can't figure out how to get voice commands when using the BMW app based navigation. The volume is set to high on my phone and voice commands are set to on in the nav. The navigation is working properly in indicating rights and lefts, etc. But there are no voice commands nor will -replaying last instruction- produce any sound.

The second question is that when streaming music I can start, pause, and end the music with the wonder wheel. I can also see the song info on the display but I can't control the volume with the wonder wheel. I can control the volume with the Cardo buttons but that turns down the intercom so I would like to have the music control on the bike.

Any ideas on these voice issues I haven't been able to figure out? Thank you.

The ability to control a headset from the wonder wheel is a function within the Bluetooth specification called remote volume (or something close to that). It is an optional part of the specification. So it is a function of the capabilities of the headset rather than the BMW TFT system. The only headsets I'm aware of that support remote volume are from Sena - the 50S and the BMW branded headset (which is made by Sena). I believe there are one or two other Sena models that have recently added the function and I'd expect new headsets from them to support it. I've heard from some people that have requested its support from Cardo and have been told they don't plan on adding it. If more riders make the request it might drive Cardo towards adding it in future models - unlikely they would retrofit it into older models - same as Sena, who are not motivated to add features to existing models.

Having read it seems a hundred of this type of thread I wonder if anybody has actually had success with their phone, their music, their GPS, and whatever else they are trying to use Bluetooth or other high-tech for.

When I last read the J.D. Power quality rankings of motorcycles based on the number of owner complaints per new motorcycle I was interested to note how far down the rankings BMW had sunk to well below HD and others. A little deeper dive into the information disclosed that the vast majority of complaints by BMW owners related to electronics, Bluetooth, instrumentation, and other wonders of modern BMW technology. Other brands had complaints about engines and transmissions, brakes, shocks, and mechanical malfunctions. BMW had complaints about the Wonderwheel and Bluetooth stuff.

Last edited:
The ability to control a headset from the wonder wheel is a function within the Bluetooth specification called remote volume (or something close to that). It is an optional part of the specification. So it is a function of the capabilities of the headset rather than the BMW TFT system. The only headsets I'm aware of that support remote volume are from Sena - the 50S and the BMW branded headset (which is made by Sena). I believe there are one or two other Sena models that have recently added the function and I'd expect new headsets from them to support it. I've heard from some people that have requested its support from Cardo and have been told they don't plan on adding it. If more riders make the request it might drive Cardo towards adding it in future models - unlikely they would retrofit it into older models - same as Sena, who are not motivated to add features to existing models.

I have a Schuberth C5 with the SC2, it's said to be the same as a Sena 50S. I can't find anything about the remote volume control, anyone have luck with that? I got the Suhuberth C5 when they came out and have it paired to my 22R1250RT Prior to buying the 22R1250RT I had a 14R1200RT paired to Sena 20s EVO, the wonder wheel didn't change the volume but it did mute the volume when I turned it down, that feature doesn't work with the SC2.

I have a Schuberth C5 with the SC2, it's said to be the same as a Sena 50S. I can't find anything about the remote volume control, anyone have luck with that? I got the Suhuberth C5 when they came out and have it paired to my 22R1250RT Prior to buying the 22R1250RT I had a 14R1200RT paired to Sena 20s EVO, the wonder wheel didn't change the volume but it did mute the volume when I turned it down, that feature doesn't work with the SC2.

Update I just read on the Sena/Schuberth site it's the same as Sena 50R https://oem.sena.com/schuberth/sc2/

On my 2014 RT with the Nav V I was able to hear the nav directions. Is the Garmin based navigation supporting this -remote volume- issue in a different way than the BMW nav app? Are you saying that with my current setup I can't receive nav voice directions although I can hear the phone, intercom, and music?

The 50R has a March firmware update that claims to add support for the TFT. Maybe this update will work for your SC2?

-jono
They recently released the first firmware update for the SC2 no fix for this issue. I sent in a request to Sena, I got a response, they will review...

Having read it seems a hundred of this type of thread I wonder if anybody has actually had success with their phone, their music, their GPS, and whatever else they are trying to use Bluetooth or other high-tech for.

Bluetooth with headset, gps, and phone=YES. Bluetooth with headset, gps, phone, and BMW TFT=NO. The Garmin Zumo units I’ve used have reliably connected to headset on startup and would stream music from phone to headset through the gps. The BMW Nav VI connects to headset and phone pretty reliably but will NOT reliably stream music from phone. The BMW TFT will pretty reliably stream music from phone, and handle phone calls, when used on its own. But adding a gps to the mix always bolluxes up the works.

Since I jump my Nav VI across several bikes I have found the most reliable setup to be ripping all my music to mp3 files and loading them on an SD card in the Nav VI, and running phone service strictly through the Nav VI. And, I never pair my phone directly with the headset except for updates or adjustments, and that pairing is immediately deleted after the task.
Music and phone are pretty reliable that way.

Bluetooth is far from a perfected technology, and BMW has tended to always be a generation or two behind on their bluetooth implementations.

Best,
DeVern

When I last read the J.D. Power quality rankings of motorcycles based on the number of owner complaints per new motorcycle I was interested to note how far down the rankings BMW had sunk to well below HD and others. A little deeper dive into the information disclosed that the vast majority of complaints by BMW owners related to electronics, Bluetooth, instrumentation, and other wonders of modern BMW technology. Other brands had complaints about engines and transmissions, brakes, shocks, and mechanical malfunctions. BMW had complaints about the Wonder Wheel and Bluetooth stuff.

Once I had my '22 TFT software updated last spring and solved the following two "user" problems, I have had success using my phone (for calls), music (media on the phone), headset (Sena 50S with Wonder Wheel volume control) and navigation together. The two problems I had to fix were -- turn on Do Not Disturb in Focus for my iPhone when the BMW Connected app is running, and removing Apple Music tracks from my iPhone (tracks I don't own but have downloaded via Apple Music). I also had to pair down my music library as it was too large. Also of note, the RT TFT requires deletion of pre-existing pairings between headsets and phones - the headset must be paired with the TFT rather than the phone. If you don't delete the pre-existing pairing, the headset will pair with the phone rather than the TFT. Things will appear to work, but either unreliably or intermittently. I dropped using a Cardo headset in my Schuberth since it doesn't have remote volume control support.

The only thing that is not working on my bike at the moment is the AM radio, due to its antenna. I would say BMW deserves credit for the TFT and its unification of technology and poor marks for its support, particularly in opaqueness with regards to software updates in the bike and configurations that will result in success. I had to figure most of this out for myself, with assistance from folks on the Internet. My dealer has been unable to help me. BMW are not currently positioned to be successful as a technology company.

-jono

I still haven't had any luck with my voice/music questions. Cardo didn't acknowledge the -remote volume- issue so that I could use the wonder wheel to control music volume. They said it must be a BMW issue. Also, as mentioned above, I am not able to get navigator voice directions. My dealer didn't have any suggestions about either issues.

When I start up the TFT, it connects to my phone, helmet/Cardo, and the nav app and the appropriate icons are displayed in the lower right. At the bottom center of the screen a helmet symbol with what looks like volume settings appears for a couple of seconds. I am not able to adjust the volume setting while it is briefly displayed.

What is being displayed? From the picture below it looks the volume is set to one half. Do others have control of their volume settings at this point?

Attachments

• 20220830_122829.jpg
    20220830_122829.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 86
I still haven't had any luck with my voice/music questions. Cardo didn't acknowledge the -remote volume- issue so that I could use the wonder wheel to control music volume. They said it must be a BMW issue. Also, as mentioned above, I am not able to get navigator voice directions. My dealer didn't have any suggestions about either issues.

When I start up the TFT, it connects to my phone, helmet/Cardo, and the nav app and the appropriate icons are displayed in the lower right. At the bottom center of the screen a helmet symbol with what looks like volume settings appears for a couple of seconds. I am not able to adjust the volume setting while it is briefly displayed.

What is being displayed? From the picture below it looks the volume is set to one half. Do others have control of their volume settings at this point?

Have you ever linked your headset with your phone via Bluetooth? If so, you have to delete that connection and pair the headset only to the TFT. If you ever have connected the headset to the phone, that connection will remain live in addition to the TFT connection and will prevent you from hearing the nav directions. So make sure the headset/phone connection is deleted and pair the headset only to the TFT. I have two Cardo units that both work with the nav directions.

The person you spoke to at Cardo didn't know what they were talking about. Cardo doesn't support remote volume control and AFAIK they have not committed to supporting it.

When you've sorted out the connections - then try the nav system without turning on any music. The volume will need to be turned up high on the bike and on the Cardo as well - best to test this with the helmet off so you don't blast your ears.

:lurk
I find this all very interesting. I’ve been confounded by similar issues with (silent) turn by turn directions (using iPhone Maps app) in my car, and there’s not even a headset involved. I wonder if deleting my Sena pairing will help with that…

The volume control is a bluetooth implementation issue in the headset. If the headset doesn't support remote volume control, the wonderwheel will not adjust your volume. You can spin the wheel and watch the volume meter change, but that's about it. The only units I know that work with the Wonderwheel are the BMW branded Sena and the Sena 50S with updated firmware.

With my Shoei helmet and their comm unit (made by Sena) wonderwheel didn't do anything. Have not checked for a recent firmware update to that unit, but the last one I recall was 18 months or so ago. My Schuberth C5 with their SC2 comm unit (Sena) has no volume control, but turning volume all the way down pauses the music... It had a recent firmware update, but still no volume control.

My other two issues are:

1) When a notification or turn by turn direction interrupts the music, sometimes I have to manually restart it using the TFT/Wonderwheel.
2) Sometimes the notification/direction also mutes audio from the phone. I have to go into Audio Settings on the TFT, and change the output to speakers then back to headset to hear the phone audio stream again.

I just ordered an XM antenna and a mount for my Zumo XT. Going to remove the XM mushroom, mount the Zumo there above the TFT and run the XM antenna to the tail somewhere (once I get a day below 90 degrees...). Can get everything I need using the Zumo and ignore the TFT woes.

Some progress. Although I had cleaned out all leftover bluetooth parings - like to my Nav5 last week after Jono had mentioned that issue, I still could not receive nav instructions. Today I deleted/unpaired the BMW app and with re-pairing was able to hear directions. Volume control was only through the Cardo. The phone volume setting had no effect. I don't know if I will have the issues irtak just mentioned.

Jono, what did you mean by having the volume turned up high on the bike? And do you know what is being displayed at the bottom center of the TFT (as in my picture) on start up? Because of your Sena, are you able to raise/control the volume at that point? Is there volume control on the BMW connect app that I haven't noticed.

Thanks.

Some progress. Although I had cleaned out all leftover bluetooth parings - like to my Nav5 last week after Jono had mentioned that issue, I still could not receive nav instructions. Today I deleted/unpaired the BMW app and with re-pairing was able to hear directions. Volume control was only through the Cardo. The phone volume setting had no effect. I don't know if I will have the issues irtak just mentioned.

Jono, what did you mean by having the volume turned up high on the bike? And do you know what is being displayed at the bottom center of the TFT (as in my picture) on start up? Because of your Sena, are you able to raise/control the volume at that point? Is there volume control on the BMW connect app that I haven't noticed.

Thanks.

Since I didn't have details about your specific setup - I was suggesting turning up the volume everywhere (headset, bike and phone) in case one of those devices was limiting your headset volume. For nav instructions I can adjust volume either with the Wonder Wheel or the Sena headset volume control. If I adjust the volume using the headset, the TFT displays the change in volume - so the two devices (TFT and headset) are operating as one control. In my configuration, the phone volume doesn't seem to be involved in the headset level. HTH.

Back