• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Key out of range - No, it's not!

When you had the battery out the bike lost the date, causing the service light.

That's probably it. Just checked, date is 09-13-23.

I'll look at the manual tomorrow to see how to set it. I've looked at the manual enough last two days.

Removed seat on bike to get bag with owners manual. Sure enough, key was in same bag. So, yes, plastikey was under seat while remote key was in my jacket pocket, probably less than a foot apart.

That may well have been the source of trouble.

I went out and put my emergency key under the rider seat in the little builtin storage spot . That's too far from the antenna so it may be a safe place to keep your emergency key. (It won't start the bike and nobody can get at it)
With my fob in my pocket and emergency key under the seat I did not get a out of range or bad battery light when I pressed the black start button.

I've been running it that way for 7 years without a problem.

I put plastikey back in bag under seat, so I'll be running it that way in the future, too.

I always check key charge level when I start bike up. It had gotten down pretty low, maybe 25%. My theory is that level dropped too low while I was riding, so instead of producing low battery alert, it freaked out with 'key out of range.' And, the bike's fail safe reaction is to unlock everything. I could have operated the bike with no key (!), but the delta! yellow light is annoying. And it probably pretty good to be able to lock it.

In the future, I'll replace the remote key battery before it gets very low.

So if the emergency key is under the seat locked in it and you lose your main key how do you get to the emergency key to use it in an emergency?

I've been running it that way for 7 years without a problem.

I put plastikey back in bag under seat, so I'll be running it that way in the future, too.

I always check key charge level when I start bike up. It had gotten down pretty low, maybe 25%. My theory is that level dropped too low while I was riding, so instead of producing low battery alert, it freaked out with 'key out of range.' And, the bike's fail safe reaction is to unlock everything. I could have operated the bike with no key (!), but the delta! yellow light is annoying. And it probably pretty good to be able to lock it.

In the future, I'll replace the remote key battery before it gets very low.

I replace my fob battery once a year just to avoid the above issues

So if the emergency key is under the seat locked in it and you lose your main key how do you get to the emergency key to use it in an emergency?

Detail, details :)

Debbie and I would be ok as we have a metal non chipped key we always carry.
I ordered those when the bike was new because the seat lock is stiff and thought we might break the key in the fob.
We did that on our 2016 and 2022 RSs. When we bought the keys last year they were around $35 each from the dealer.

I ordered those when the bike was new because the seat lock is stiff and thought we might break the key in the fob.
We did that on our 2016 and 2022 RSs. When we bought the keys last year they were around $35 each from the dealer.

Smart thinking on any vehicle that still comes with a cylinder lock on the drivers door. :thumb

OM

You’d be surprised how many people don’t think about that ahead of time. It’s why I don’t keep the emergency key in the under seat tray of my Sargent seat. :)

I replace my fob battery once a year just to avoid the above issues

Good plan! I usually buy the two-pack and stash a spare under the seat.

Exactly! The flip out key is too easy to break in a sticky seat lock, and the non-chipped key fits my pants pocket much better than the fob, which is usually still in my riding gear up in the motel room.

Glad the OP got the issue resolved,
:thumb
DeVern

I've found the "Key Fob" alert warning on my K1600 to be quite finicky. If I keep the fob in the side compartment, the bike starts and runs fine, but I will get the warning light. If I put the key fob in my jacket or pants pocket, the warning goes away. So it would seem to me the location tolerance of where the key fobs placed is pretty small.

I've found the "Key Fob" alert warning on my K1600 to be quite finicky. If I keep the fob in the side compartment, the bike starts and runs fine, but I will get the warning light. If I put the key fob in my jacket or pants pocket, the warning goes away. So it would seem to me the location tolerance of where the key fobs placed is pretty small.

Out of curiosity, where is the antenna on a K1600?

Along the same line, imagine my surprise when, a couple of days later, the TFT screen lit up to tell me my "FOB battery was at 50%!" But not to worry, as it didn't affect the bikes ability to be ridden or some such note. :rolleyes

Update

I reset the time/date. Service light went out. All back to normal.

Did a buck-forty this afternoon. Fabulous spring day.

same problem

Hi,

i have this same problem. light comes on for a while and then goes out. it has happened numerous times. only had one problem durning a 7 day road trip. stopped at a gas station and the bike would not power back up. placed the key fob close to the dash and got the bike to come back on. i definitely carry the gray key. i have the bike at my mechanic s now. he said he going to scan for codes. if the error does not clear i probably just buy another fob and see if that works.

thanks

Back