• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Iron Butt Rally 2011 - whipping an RT (and me) into shape

Credit where it's due -- I got the idea for the panniers from Greg Rice.

Rob -- I will bow to your expertise regarding the pump...although I used my set-up on my 50CC and three-week trip through California, Colorado, etc, last Spring, I certainly did not use it as steadily as you would on an 11-day rally.

I got the idea from George Barnes. :bow

Talking about bike setup

Pump, no pump, cb, NEXRAD weather, music, dueling GPS units, custom fuel, seat, tire pressure monitors, radar detectors, spot trackers.

Whew! what a list and that's before extra lights and a aftermarket screen!

I was very proud of the way my RTP was set up for LD rallies. It incorporated just about everything I'd read and learned from riding rallies and lurking on LD Rider.

It was fun to ride but it was a single purpose bike. It was not fun to take for a quick trip. It also attracted a ton of attention which is a double edge sword. It was also relatively heavy, it's easy to add the weight of a passenger which is close to what I had when wet.

If I was doing it again my primary goal would be to select add ons that didn't destroy the bike and could be easily removed to return the bike to stock. That's because I would no longer dedicate the $$$ to have a new LD only bike. I have an Adventure and if I were running the IBR I'd likely not add fuel.

I suppose I've come around to the keep it simple approach. On one hand I've worn a cambelback for the rally, after a few days I hated it, a pain to fill, a pain to remove my jacket and when it was hot it blocked the back vent.

The bubba keg cooler was a trade off, functionally it was absolutely perfect but it did add weight and some compelxity to the bike. Having said this it worked perfectly, no issues with the pump, switch or plumbing.

If I was doing it again I'd use the bubba keg cooler but mount it higher. I think waist up would be fine for a no pump install.

To the op, it's a balancing act, for every lb more the bike weighs the more fatiguing it will be to ride in the rally. There is a very good chance you'll have to pick it up at least once.

There is a very good chance you'll have to pick it up at least once.
Finally, a word of wisdom and caution that every rider should heed.

:bikes - as long as they stay two-wheels down. When they don't, I don't like them so much - but pick them up until I do again......

Pump, no pump, cb, NEXRAD weather, music, dueling GPS units, custom fuel, seat, tire pressure monitors, radar detectors, spot trackers.

Whew! what a list and that's before extra lights and a aftermarket screen!

I was very proud of the way my RTP was set up for LD rallies. It incorporated just about everything I'd read and learned from riding rallies and lurking on LD Rider.

It was fun to ride but it was a single purpose bike. It was not fun to take for a quick trip. It also attracted a ton of attention which is a double edge sword. It was also relatively heavy, it's easy to add the weight of a passenger which is close to what I had when wet.

If I was doing it again my primary goal would be to select add ons that didn't destroy the bike and could be easily removed to return the bike to stock. That's because I would no longer dedicate the $$$ to have a new LD only bike. I have an Adventure and if I were running the IBR I'd likely not add fuel.

I suppose I've come around to the keep it simple approach. On one hand I've worn a cambelback for the rally, after a few days I hated it, a pain to fill, a pain to remove my jacket and when it was hot it blocked the back vent.

The bubba keg cooler was a trade off, functionally it was absolutely perfect but it did add weight and some compelxity to the bike. Having said this it worked perfectly, no issues with the pump, switch or plumbing.

If I was doing it again I'd use the bubba keg cooler but mount it higher. I think waist up would be fine for a no pump install.

To the op, it's a balancing act, for every lb more the bike weighs the more fatiguing it will be to ride in the rally. There is a very good chance you'll have to pick it up at least once.

Aha! You just hit on my main criterion, which is "Is this something I'd want on my bike all the time?" This applies in particular to costlier items, those that could void my warranty, or those that require an "invasive" modification to the stock bike (something drilled out, cut, bent, etc). That's the big reason why I'm leaning toward not adding a fuel cell. I'm unlikely to use it other than on the IBR (the one I had on my last bike was rarely used, and that bike had a much shorter range than a stock RT).

Even the hydration setup is under that consideration (cost vs. compexity vs. long-term usability). I will certainly do something other than a straight camelbak, because that gets frustrating after wearing it for a few days. If I add a seat bag and run my camelbak through it, so I can see using that setup (or the bag) in the future. Plus there. Of course it's more expensive than a keg-cooler and bracket of some sort. I also gotta admit though that the idea of a washer pump is GENIUS. It's so cheap that I'll probably screw around with one just for the hell of it. I'll probably end up with a small bag/gravity feed though.

I few experienced folks on the IBR forum recently echoed your thoughts that simpler setups might be making a comeback.

I removed some of the plastic from the bike today. I wasn't planning to do it, but I just started undoing screws (using the guide on here) and the next thing I knew the left side was done.

Observations:

The procedure isn't too different than that for the 09 and earlier bikes. If anything, it's easier. I was impressed with how nicely everything fits together (far easier than the plastic on other bikes I've owned; even though the RT has a LOT of plastic, it's easy to reach most of the bolts.

Differences between the '10 RT and the earlier models:

Torx screws on the left side of the 2010 are all Torx-25s. No 27s on the lower cowling. They are all the same length now too. I suspect the rt side is the same (I'll know soon enough).

The mirror removes differently. The glass comes off by unscrewing a bolt through the bottom of the mirror. The turn-signals remove via a large hole in the upper inside part of the mirror (a Torx-30 bolt; the one in the toolkit just reaches).

That's it. Everything else is identical to the older 1200s.

I'm still waiting for parts to arrive. It looks like I might tackle the electrical projects sooner than planned. My Zumo 665 arrived last night and it's very cool. Touratech stuff comes in tomorrow.

Why not get a top case rack and bungee the hydration pack on it?

Easy to get to, easy to remove and fill.

I've done this hydration thing two ways on our IBR bikes. On my K75 I had a huge trunk (Harley FLH) and solo seat. I put a 1 gallon tank in one corner of the trunk, hooked up a windshield washer pump with a push button switch on the handlebar and the tubing run to a convenient plug in location. Then the drink tube ran from that plug-in to a retractor on my tank bag. Since the tube ran under the seat on a K75 I had "hot and cold running water". :) The plug in was just a line connector that I capped with a rubber cap if the drink tube wasn't attached.

On Voni's R1100RS I had a gallon cooler jug with a pump mounted (with a fuel cell) on a rack on a rear seat pan. On hers I got cute and ran the switch wiring inside the tubing - in one T connector and out another to a switch on the "handle" at the mouth end.

Approaching Las Vegas in 117 degree heat we could even have a brief water fight while stuck in traffic. :)

We really liked the pumps because in addition to drinking we could squirt a bit on the neck or up a jacket sleeve to extend evaporative cooling.

Quick update:

My Ztechnik engine guards came in today. I snuck out of work and drove 80 miles to pick them up from the "local" dealer....

The plastic on the bike is now completely dissembled and the HID/fog lights are mounted on the bike. I still have to do all of the wiring though (including the fusebox). Pics soon.

Now an update on me....

I started my physical conditioning program today. My "trainer" is an exercise science student (a senior at the college where I teach). Damn this kid knows his stuff! He went ahead and looked up everything he could find on muscles used in riding motorcycles. For someone who has never ridden a motorcycle, I was truly impressed. Everything we worked on made sense.

After a chat about goals/health, and a short warm-up, we hit the weights. I haven't been in a weight-room since high school (nearly 20 years ago). It wasn't pretty, but I survived (only came close to losing my lunch once). He took it relatively easy on me given that he's built like an upside-down triangle (I have no idea how much he can lift because he was focused on helping me out, but I'm sure it's a lot). He also customized the routine based on my physical history (I have a bad shoulder), and built up the weight based on how I was doing. The kid is a true pro. I'm going to try and do the routine a few more times and then meet with him again. I hope I can keep this up!

I'm also going to start working on my diet (which sucks). I always find that it's easier to do this when I'm trying to get in shape. I'll start with tapering off my caffeine intake a bit and trying to eat a little healthier/more balanced. We'll see.....

I ran five miles at lunch.

That's left over from my IBR training. I try to run a minimum of 20 miles a week.

Thank heavens I am a perfect specimen.

That would kill me Voni. I was really out on the first exercise - but watched as far as number 4 - when I quit watching because I was exhausted.....

Interesting Topic

I too will be running a R1200RT in the IBR. It's the same bike I finished on in the Iron Butt 5000. My hydration system is simple. It is a RKA Tank Bag, the big one, with an insulated 100 ounce Camelback in the bottom container. I also keep a micro fiber cloth and my food in there too. I had to make a small cut in the insulation so the tube would come out a little further. The tube is also insulated. Still room in the top compartment for all the other stuff.
I am moving my BLM Fuel Cell from a seat mount to a rack over the seat. I am also changing my auxiliary lights from one PIAA HID and one trailtech HID to Hella Micro
DE's. I am using BMW RTP mounts that I first saw on Rob Nye's Spaceship at the Tulsa IBA Nationals (Thanks for the idea Rob)
Look forward to sharing ideas.

Hello Bob,

One challenge of using the police mounts for HID lights is the length of the wire form the light to the ballast.

On the right side it was *just* long enough but over time it made the mirror want to work loose.

Regardless if you're riding an RT in the IBR or any bike with mirror pods you need the Touratach leashes or a homebuilt retainer.

Rob --

I found a couple of images on Chicago BMW's parts fiche that might indicate the RTP light brackets, but they don't give a clue as to how they are mounted. I think there must be more to it than this. Is there another source for mounting info? Thanks.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0388&mospid=51560&btnr=63_0993&hg=63&fg=20

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=0388&mospid=51560&btnr=63_0994&hg=63&fg=25

Yup there is quite a bit more required, pretty much all you need from those diagrams is items 5 and 6.

Call Rusty at Max BMW. Give him your vin, tell him what you want to do and he'll help make sure you have all the right parts to do it.

RTP light brackets for auxiliary lights

Thanks, Rob. I have always had good luck with Max. That would have been my next move. I could not find the RTP parts on Max's fiche, but was able to ferret out some info on Chicago BMW's site after poking around a bit. Their fiche is not as easy to find as it used to be.

It's not a pressing need anyway, as I was not accepted into the IBR...mainly because I did not apply, LOL! Multi-day rallies are not my thing -- one or two 24-hour events a year, and some shorter ones, are about all I can handle. And it's only for a few hours at night on those events that I feel the need for the extra light, so I have been reluctant to pull the trigger on spending the money. Maybe if I figured out the brackets and wiring I would get more seriouse about the lights. Maybe.

Ray,

There are two sets of brackets made for the RTP.

The upper (above the mirror) are great for big lights.

There is a set of lower mounts used for mounting radar and such. If you're not looking for big lights I'd suggest a set of hella micro DE HID lights on these brackets.

They'll be tucked in under the mirrors and be much more discreet than pie plates mounted up top.

RTP light brackets for auxiliary lights

"...much more discreet than pie plates mounted up top."

And a smaller target for love bugs.

Thanks for the info, Rob. That's sort of what I had in mind.

Good points. Part of my reasoning for adding aux lighting is to have a back-up. As it stands, I plan to stick with bulbs for the main lights (carrying spares). I figure it's better to have to change them once than risk having a ballast die and losing a main light for the rest of the rally.

I've heard all about the issues with the Trailtechs. I'm going with Touratech stuff. Their version of the Hella mini HID is ridiculously expensive, but the mount fits the new RT body style and the instructions of idiot-proof (we'll see about that I guess). I also like the low profile, which will be important to fuel economy if I don't run a fuel cell. I'll only have one HID (on the left side), but by all accounts I've read it's still a LOT of light. I'm adding their matching fog light to the right side, although it sounds like it doesn't do a lot (makes the bike more conspicuous I guess, which is something). I don't ride too fast at night and the stock RT set-up is easily the best I've had on any bike. With one HID it should be possible to keep from "over-riding" the reach of the lights. The fact that the IBR is now being run on the longest days of the year will also help.

I missed this one.

The touratech lights are made by hella. As such you can search for them from various sources and save some money.

Also for the R12RT make sure you practice changing the headlight bulb. It's a real bear, I can't do it without a pair of grabbers. With the grabbers I can do it in just a few minutes, without I'll slice up my hands get cranked want to install the bulb with a really big hammer. :nono

Back