• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Iron Butt Rally 2011 - whipping an RT (and me) into shape

D

D-Mac

I started a similar thread on one of those "other" forums, but I figured it would make sense to start one here. You folks have been very helpful - especially with tech advice for my RT. I hope to contribute some "how to" (or "how NOT to") photo guides over the coming weeks and months.

Background: A couple of months ago I was drawn for the 2011 Iron Butt Rally. This has been a dream since I first started riding. I've done lots of long rides, but nothing quite like this thing. I have only a little rallying experience, but at least I finally have a good bike for this kind of thing (my last bike was an FZ6 - fun for 200 miles, but a killer after 800 miles).

After the shock of being drawn wore off, and my wife gave me the green light (along with work too), I realized I don't have much time to get ready! The IBR starts June 21, 2011, but allowing for time to practice, hopefully time for a smaller "warm up" rally, and time to ride out to Seattle for the start, we're taking only a a handful of months to prep (discounting the time we're buried in sn*w up here). To complicate things, I purchased my 2010 RT only a few months ago, and haven't really done much to it yet.

Step 1: Do a long day on the RT.

Early last month I took a little ride around Michigan. 1050 miles and 19h later I had a much better idea of what I need to do to get an RT ready for 11,000 miles (+ over 4,000 miles to/from the start/finish lines). Simply put, the RT in stock form is already quite a bit better than my old 600cc bike was when fully outfitted for long trips. I can't wait to see what an RT can do when fully modded!

----
Step 2: Spend every dime on add-ons. My wife is less than thrilled about this one.

Russell seat - ordered (stock seat leaves tomorrow). I love these things. I will post pics when it comes back.

HID aux lights + foglights - ordered (will arrive on Friday)

Eastern Beaver PC-8 fuseblock + relay - arrived today!

ZTechnik engine guards - ordered through a dealer (they are taking their time it seems)

Ilium hi-way pegs - arrived and awaiting engine guards

BMW topcase + tankbag - already purchased (picked up some Kathy's case liners as well).

Safety reflective stickers - just installed

Hydration system - This is in the planning phase...

Fuel cell - I'm not planning to add one to this bike (not thrilled with hacking into the gas tank on a new bike with a known fuel strip issue [can you say "warranty voided?", plus I hated the cell I added to my last bike). I will re-evaluate this decision a LOT over this next few months.

Anyway, my RT is currently in the garage awaiting major surgery. I hope she'll live! I will post pics (especially pics of differences in taking it apart a "camhead" RT vs. the earlier models).

----
Step 3: Get in shape (and not the "pear shape" either!)

I'm married to a Dietitian, so that SHOULD help on the eating front (if I actually start following her advice). I really gotta cut down on the caffeine at least.

I also teach at a college that has an excellent athletic training/exercise science program, so I've enlisted some students to help me whip my sad body into better form. That part starts this week. For a 37 year-old, I'm not exactly in great physical condition. I do field work for a living, so I'm used to walking/backpacking a lot, but I've never done any strength training. We'll see how this goes! I'm hoping to work on my arms (figuring that long days of gripping the bars would be easier if I had a little muscle up there). We'll see....

More soon.

Congratulations! :clap

We'll look forward to hearing lots more about this grand adventure.

Count on your students to get you in shape. Mine sure did in 2003 :groovy

Voni
sMiling

D-Mac,

Congrats!!

Please continue to to provide a running commentary of your IB Rally, up to and including a post rally report. Many of us will enjoy the rally prep and participation through your experiences.

Last edited:
Congratulations.

I finished both the '99 and '03 IBRs with a semi-stock K75 with over 250K in '99 and 330K in '03. Your weapon of choice will do just fine.

Your major bike needs are essentially three-fold:

1. reliable mechanical condition
2. lighting to see well at night
3. adequate fuel range not to get stranded in BFE, or to consume too much time for numerous fuel stops.

Bob Hall won the 2001 IBR on an essentially box stock R11xxRT.

Your navigation and routing needs are a good GPS, probably a laptop, maps, and a good time piece (watch, GPS, cell phone, whatever works for you). Oh, and lots of practice estimating travel time. Do it every time you get on the bike. How long to get where. All the time until you are really good at it for both long and short trips.

Your riding needs are several and include:

1. Coping with long boring stretches
2. Coping with traffic and congestion
3. Everything everybody teaches about riding safely

Your personal needs absolutely include fatigue management: stretching your ability to minimize the need for sleep -

and absolutely knowing how to recognize when you need sleep and what to do about it.

Congratulations.

I finished both the '99 and '03 IBRs with a semi-stock K75 with over 250K in '99 and 330K in '03. Your weapon of choice will do just fine.

Your major bike needs are essentially three-fold:

1. reliable mechanical condition
2. lighting to see well at night
3. adequate fuel range not to get stranded in BFE, or to consume too much time for numerous fuel stops.

Bob Hall won the 2001 IBR on an essentially box stock R11xxRT.

Your navigation and routing needs are a good GPS, probably a laptop, maps, and a good time piece (watch, GPS, cell phone, whatever works for you). Oh, and lots of practice estimating travel time. Do it every time you get on the bike. How long to get where. All the time until you are really good at it for both long and short trips.

Your personal needs absolutely include fatigue management: stretching your ability to minimize the need for sleep -

and absolutely knowing how to recognize when you need sleep and what to do about it.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Paul - I'll be absolutely thrilled to finish ONE of these things. I can't imagine what it must take to do it TWICE!! Your advice certainly makes sense and it agrees with what I've received from other IBR "veterens." I will likely have some questions for you, if that's ok. The rally is so GPS/computer dependent these days that I've already spent many hours doing routing exercises and doing practice rides. I still have a long way to go, but I'm starting to get a good handle on my abilities.

One skill I omitted - one I wasn't very good at - and which you can, with a little help, practice.

That is finding exact locations quickly and easily. It just takes a little help from friends.

This is a different skill than just routing from point a to point b.

Example - Find the flagpole at the courthouse in (city, state). Or find the sign advertising (product) on the building at (address).

These can be at nearby but unfamiliar places - and suggested by friends who can spot them and submit them to you.

The ability to quickly get to, locate, identify, and photograph specific bonuses with the least fuss and bother has in my opinion been the difference between #1 and others in several recent IBRs. And the difference between 45th place and 40th place, and in a couple of cases I am aware of, the difference between a finish and a DNF.

With a little help you can get a list of a bunch of such things and go snag a dozen on a Saturday or Sunday - and it will be good practice.

Your personal needs absolutely include fatigue management: stretching your ability to minimize the need for sleep - and absolutely knowing how to recognize when you need sleep and what to do about it.

4. Understand your need for hydration.

Everyone is different in how they feel the need to hydrate. Don't try to figure out your personal need. Simply learn to hydrate - a lot. All it takes is a little - a lot of times. Set up a hydration system that's easy to use and easy to refill, has a large enough capacity to keep you hydrated long enough to take you the number of miles between refills you want to ride and be aware of when it's getting low.

Regardless of the conditions and weather temps, proper hydration can be the difference between ending each day feeling like you had a good ride - or feeling the pain - and/or ending your day ride early to get medical attention.

Asking questions of Paul, Voni and other serious long riders and IBR veterans is your best method of peering into the details of what it takes to do a ride like what you're intending from those that have done it - and as you're finding out - are just as interested in your having a successful ride - as you are. Pick their brains and use their counsel wisely.

Good luck!

I'd like to see this thread survive through the 2011 IBR while you post your preparation and progress, and folks like Paul impart their wisdom and experience. Pics would be great, too!

I have a friend who rode his first IBR in 2009, and did well enough to be a bronze finisher. I basically lived vicariously through him following his prep and progress! :D

Congratulations on getting drawn for the Iron Butt Rally.

The R12RT is a fine bike and you're already on a good plan for success.

Do not underestimate the value of being in shape, especially good cardio. Stretching really helps too. Raw power isn't much help but having good tone and flexibility will make a huge difference.

I suggest you practice the most simple and repetitive tasks over and over again, for example getting gas. I keep a fuel log in my car just to keep in practice with getting good receipts and keeping track of them.

I don't think you need a aux tank on the RT, aren't you able to do over 300 on the stock tank? The extra fuel doesn't mean you'll always go max range, it offers the flexibility to get fuel when you want. Sometimes stopping for fuel is annoying only because it breaks the rythm of the day.

You could easily add a gravity feed tank in place of the pillion and have it removable if you want max range. As I like to say if there is a rule limiting something that's tells you more is good. I have used 11.4 gallons in one go in the IBR, that usually means you screwed up. :D

For Hydration I've used a camelbak which after a few days I hated wearing and I've had the cooler with a pump which really was wonderful. Nothing like a shot of ice cold water at the push of a button.

I also suggest you go as light as possible. If you fill both panniers and top case on an R12RT you have way too much stuff.

I'd also be getting all my service appointments scheduled now. If you're riding to the start than I'd want a valve adjustment, oil and tires befor the start along with a plan for tires and perhaps a valve adjustment during the rally.

Good luck, the IBR is a grand adventure.

Best,

Rob Nye
IBA 250

I'm not one interested in doing the Iron Butt BUT I do know a fair amount about lighting options- so a simple question and comment
1) What HIDs did you order? Please do not attempt to use TrailTechs/PIAA type- they are absolutely undependable except in ideal conditions.

The RTs main halogen bulbs may not last an Iron Butt either so start with fresh ones, carry spares, and get good at doing the change quickly.

FWIW, I've got a set of FF50s on mine wired into the hi beam- so I've got a set of 5, H7 lamps across the front with all running. Only 1 type needed as a spare. I use the 65W Osram in all- it is rated for normal lifespan and is a useul output upgrade. The set has more than enough light to ride at any speed you might choose.

And 2nd
All those hydration comments are spot on. Getting dehydrated does very bad things to judgment and timing and creeps up unnoticed. You need the discipline to drink a little at a steady pace even without feeling thirsty- if you're getting very thirsty it is too late. The reality is that your body loses water faster than it can be absorbed from the gut- in some circumstances it is possible to have a bloated gut full of water and still be getting dehydrated. Also, avoid Gatorade and similar unless you water them down at least 2-1.

Cramps and assorted muscle aches are a real possibility on multi day long runs.
Study up on the various means of avoiding same and utility of common stuff like bananas, vitamin C tablets, etc.

More on hydration.

If you have a good method and sip you will avoid the "oh my gosh I gotta pee right now" moments you get from chugging at gas stops.

For hydration, diet and exercise it's best to get on it now.

One benefit for me is I figured this out for the IBR and have kept it up for almost 8 years.

Congrats on being chosen. I'm no where near being ready to do the IBR, but I really enjoy reading about all of the preparation that is involved in such a grand endeavour. I plan on doing a SS1K in the spring, so any LD advice I can get is appreciated.

I'll make the suggestion that it would be nice to have a section of this forum dedicated exclusively to the IBR since it seems like a lot of members would also be interested in following your progress (and others) leading up to the start.

Great stuff guys. Keep it coming. I hadn't expected so many replies/posts so quickly. I will be sure to update this with pics.

Rob - Especially great to hear from you! I've followed your blog for a while. Your IBR bike (the RT-P) is one of the most incredible examples of a fully outfitted LD machine I have ever seen/heard of.

I'm particularly interested in the mini keg/washer pump setup you had for hydration. Did you run it through camelbak bladder inside the keg and punch a hole in the side of the container, or is something else going on there? I'm thinking about trying something similar (perhaps setting up something on the rear seat if I don't add a fuel cell or maybe mounting something to a rear footpeg somehow).

They even sell 12v mini-coolers now that might be possible to rig up. No ice required. I've used a large one for research for a few years (we use it to carry small marine animals from field sites to my lab) and it works great.

I'm not one interested in doing the Iron Butt BUT I do know a fair amount about lighting options- so a simple question and comment
1) What HIDs did you order? Please do not attempt to use TrailTechs/PIAA type- they are absolutely undependable except in ideal conditions.

The RTs main halogen bulbs may not last an Iron Butt either so start with fresh ones, carry spares, and get good at doing the change quickly.

FWIW, I've got a set of FF50s on mine wired into the hi beam- so I've got a set of 5, H7 lamps across the front with all running. Only 1 type needed as a spare. I use the 65W Osram in all- it is rated for normal lifespan and is a useul output upgrade. The set has more than enough light to ride at any speed you might choose.

Good points. Part of my reasoning for adding aux lighting is to have a back-up. As it stands, I plan to stick with bulbs for the main lights (carrying spares). I figure it's better to have to change them once than risk having a ballast die and losing a main light for the rest of the rally.

I've heard all about the issues with the Trailtechs. I'm going with Touratech stuff. Their version of the Hella mini HID is ridiculously expensive, but the mount fits the new RT body style and the instructions of idiot-proof (we'll see about that I guess). I also like the low profile, which will be important to fuel economy if I don't run a fuel cell. I'll only have one HID (on the left side), but by all accounts I've read it's still a LOT of light. I'm adding their matching fog light to the right side, although it sounds like it doesn't do a lot (makes the bike more conspicuous I guess, which is something). I don't ride too fast at night and the stock RT set-up is easily the best I've had on any bike. With one HID it should be possible to keep from "over-riding" the reach of the lights. The fact that the IBR is now being run on the longest days of the year will also help.

Great stuff guys. Keep it coming. I hadn't expected so many replies/posts so quickly. I will be sure to update this with pics.

Rob - Especially great to hear from you! I've followed your blog for a while. Your IBR bike (the RT-P) is one of the most incredible examples of a fully outfitted LD machine I have ever seen/heard of.

I'm particularly interested in the mini keg/washer pump setup you had for hydration. Did you run it through camelbak bladder inside the keg and punch a hole in the side of the container, or is something else going on there? I'm thinking about trying something similar (perhaps setting up something on the rear seat if I don't add a fuel cell or maybe mounting something to a rear footpeg somehow).

They even sell 12v mini-coolers now that might be possible to rig up. No ice required. I've used a large one for research for a few years (we use it to carry small marine animals from field sites to my lab) and it works great.

Greetings,

A few thoughts on hydration.

First, on the IBR you are on the clock all the time. While it isn't a race per se, it is a race when you are not moving, i.e. a race to either get back on the bike, get bonus points or get sleep.

With this in mind a good hydration system has to be easy and fast to fill. I like taking my container into the truck stop. I fill it with free ice from the soda dispenser and then dump in to liters of water.

To enable this I had my cooler ( A bubba Keg Cooler) mounted on a bracket. I used the same plastic quick disconnects BMW uses for the fuel line. I modified the spigot of the cooler so it was a connector glued into place.

For the pump I just used a washer pump.

For a civillian RT I'd look at making up a mount that replaced the right passenger footpeg.

RT aux fuel

Here are some images from the FJR forum and from Voni and Paul's photos that were posted here during the rally........

Just to give you some ideas.....

635869141_3UPtb-L.jpg

635868469_afXWA-L.jpg

636515405_Anm8k-M.jpg

636528049_DZPYW-M.jpg

635869141_3UPtb-L.jpg

That is quite a nice set up.

My only beef is the resulting topcase is way too big and the hole is too small.

IMO, the topcase should be for rally only gear, camera, flag, laptop and rallybook along with pens and stuff.

Side bag on the right side is for riding gear, stuff you might need quick, like heated gear along with a small bag of clothes.

Right side is for spare parts, tools and such.

For the IBR I'd take two pairs of LD tights, two pairs of LD shorts, two wicking mock T's (long sleeve), thr pair socks one short T-****, one cotton t and one pair of shorts, toiletry kit and my CCK*

I also like to have the topcase set up so my laptop is running all the time, to use it all I do open the top case and lift the lid.

* CCC stands for Crotch Crash Kit. :brow

Hydration and fuel

D-Mac -- here is a hydration set-up that is easy to put together that you could try for a few months to see if it fits your needs. Aerostich sells tank panniers in two sizes and two colors. Get the larger size. They come with little half-assed bungee cords that you should throw away and replace with simple cinch straps. Strap them to the vertical frame pieces near the foot pegs. Rest the panniers on the foot pegs and run the straps that would normally go over the tank under the rider seat. The straps are very thick because they have velcro on them, so cut off the excess. The panniers will stay in place without any special brackets, especially with weight in them.

I found a rectangular gallon jug at Wal-Mart on the same shelf with the Igloo or Coleman jugs. It has a swivel spout built into the cap. Rip the spout off, and drill the hole in the cap to fit a Camebak tube (with bite valve). You might need extra tubing and a connector, and you definitely need the insulating cover for the tube. I used a couple of pieces of dual-lok near my tank bag to hold the tube in place, and one of those badge or key-ring springy retainer things to pull the tube into place after drinking. I put some of that clear adhesive paint-protector vinyl on the bike where I stuck the dual-lok. Carry one or two spare key retainers.

You really don't need a pump -- that's just another device to malfunction. A little bit of sucking will fill the tube the first time, and, once primed, water will stay in the tube. It won't get hot because of the insulated cover, and besides, you should be sipping often enough to prevent it from warming up too much.

My water jug is in the right-side pannier, and I carry Clif bars, bananas, and other snacks on the left side. If you carry your foodstuff in your tank bag, you could carry two water jugs.

With a 7-gallon tank, the bike probably has more range than your bladder -- mine certainly does. The one advantage I can see for an RT rider carrying more fuel would be to save time if all you needed was a bathroom break, and for insurance if you just had to get a bonus before it closed at 5PM and your stock tank was running low.

Looking forward to following your progress! Two friends from our local MOA chapter, Kathy and Roger Allen, were also drawn for the IBR. I rallymastered a 10-hr rally last weekend, and they entered. They had never run a rally before, and they won! Most of the field were first-timers, but there were a handful of experienced rallyists. The most experienced was in second place, only 10 points behind.

828699971_QMM2N-O.jpg

The Aerostich Panniers are a great idea.

Simple is good but I promise you that lifting water from below your knee will get very old after a few days and you'll have 8 more to go. Hydration has to be easy and easy to use frequently.

The other advantage to the pump is you can use it to put a little cold water down your jacket or spritz your face shield.

Thanks, Rob!

Credit where it's due -- I got the idea for the panniers from Greg Rice.

Rob -- I will bow to your expertise regarding the pump...although I used my set-up on my 50CC and three-week trip through California, Colorado, etc, last Spring, I certainly did not use it as steadily as you would on an 11-day rally.

Back