• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gearing up for first track day..

If you do CSS or YCRS you can just do the 2 day school and use their bike (and gear if you want too). IMHO, that's the easiest way to try it out without going all in and you will get top quality instruction to boot. It's been a looong time since I did it, but when I did CSS the deductible if you binned one of their S1000RRs was ridiculously low so crashing wasn't even a worry (other than pain and suffering, etc.).
I'm looking at that as well; in case anyone is interested, as of today, here are the prices (YCRS):

2 day school - 2995
Bike rental - 700
Damage Waiver - 200
Safety Gear (helmet, leathers, back protector, gloves) - 180

Right around 4K for the weekend, renting pretty much everything you need. If you bin the bike and have the damage waiver, you'll be liable for 3,500 of it (basically a 3,500 dollar deductible).

So, best case, you're at 4K for the weekend, worst case, almost 8K. Which is why I set my budget for a bike around that 8K number, if I bin it the first time I'm on track, it would be around the same as the "rent everything and wreck it" with YCRS. If I don't bin it but decide I really don't like track riding, sell the bike, probably a <2K education. The airbag I'll use for all my street riding going forward, so that's not really a "track cost". The big gear prices to buy outright are the leathers (which I think I'd use in certain situations for normal riding, the Tail of the Dragon, for example, if I had leathers I would have worn them there) and the helmet (because my existing helmet it modular, I need a new one), but again, I'd use that helmet in other situations when I wanted the highest level of protection possible (or just to give my poor Sportmodular a break!).

Either way you go, it's a very expensive weekend. If you can "dual purpose" items from track on the street, IMHO, it leans more towards "buy it" than "rent it".

My longer term plan, if I enjoy track riding, is to eventually sign up for a school to improve (likely YCRS because they run on my local tracks with some regularity).

The big hurdle for me is mental, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it. I'm worried I'll be too nervous/scared to enjoy it. So I'm trying to find a relatively cheap way to try it without committing; in reality, if I do it once and don't enjoy it, I'd probably keep the 2nd bike as something different to ride from time to time (the XR is great for longer trips, but, it's a bit much for around town riding!) and use most of the stuff I'm looking to buy as backups or for specific types of riding. So I'd only really be "out" for the cost of a day/few days on the track, 100's instead of 1000's.

I know a large number of riders who have given up riding on the street, and instead spend the extra $$ to ride on track only, as they find the street to be much higher risk. Which is, actually true. There is NO oncoming traffic, NO cars on track with you, NO bicyclists, NO hikers/pedestrians, NO cross traffic, no driveways, no unknown sand/gravel traps, and you have spotters letting you know if there is danger around the next corner.

The big hurdle for me is mental, I'm not sure I'll enjoy it. I'm worried I'll be too nervous/scared to enjoy it. So I'm trying to find a relatively cheap way to try it without committing; in reality, if I do it once and don't enjoy it, I'd probably keep the 2nd bike as something different to ride from time to time (the XR is great for longer trips, but, it's a bit much for around town riding!) and use most of the stuff I'm looking to buy as backups or for specific types of riding. So I'd only really be "out" for the cost of a day/few days on the track, 100's instead of 1000's.
If this is the case, don't consider ANYTHING that is not a rider training course of some sort. An open track day (even with groups) will not be enjoyable for you and will be a waste of money. And if doing it as a school day(s), sign up for the novice group and take your XR.

"School day" - Should have a very low likelihood of riders crashing in any of the lower groups, small chance in the fastest group. The riders attending are looking to improve skills, are following the rules (or getting kicked out if the management is good), and everyone attending wants to go home with their bike. Passing zones will be limited, and boneheaded riders shouldn't be tolerated.

The video I posted was a "school day" (and had a lot of crashes). As mentioned, I have a friend who's an instructor for a different school up in Millville NJ (who I'm hoping to have join me for my first weekend), his advice was pretty clear, "Don't take a 20K 1000 CC bike to your first day on a track". Relating it to my only personal experience on tracks, I'd say the same thing to someone getting into riding motocross. Probably shouldn't show up on a 2024 top of the line 450, chances of a crash are pretty high and a brand new 450 is going to hurt a lot more than a older 250 or 125.
I know a large number of riders who have given up riding on the street, and instead spend the extra $$ to ride on track only, as they find the street to be much higher risk. Which is, actually true. There is NO oncoming traffic, NO cars on track with you, NO bicyclists, NO hikers/pedestrians, NO cross traffic, no driveways, no unknown sand/gravel traps, and you have spotters letting you know if there is danger around the next corner.

One thing I think it very clear, chances of dying are MUCH lower at the track. It's notable/news when someone dies on track, dying on a motorcycle street riding is so common that it might not even get reported unless you're famous or exit this world in truly spectacular fashion. But I this is also pretty clear that the chances of an accident on the track are much, much higher. I rarely group ride, but, in the maybe 20 days I've done it, I've seen exactly 0 accidents. The linked video (and many others) report plenty of accidents per day on track.

So there are really a few different criteria we're optimizing; chance of death (inarguably lower on track, IMHO), chance of injury (IMHO, higher on track, but, likely arguable), and chance of bike damage (from what I see/read, much, much higher on track).

It's all relative to how YOU ride and determine YOUR choice of risk factors. I know lots of people (SoCal - too many tracks and events and riders) who have been to lots of track days, and never crashed, because they weren't exceeding or trying to find their absolute limits. Track day crashes should almost always be single rider incidents unless someone is breaking the rules of the org running it (or the rules are lax.) So if you are going the first time to learn how to ride on the track, pick an org that has rules set up for success and lots of instructors.

Yes, that first time with instruction will be more costly, but paying to have an instructor show you how to get around the track safely, where to watch your mirrors (passing zones), and what you should do if you need to get "off the line" is worth it. The risk of binning your XR in that type of environment is all up to you and your control over your right wrist...

If this is the case, don't consider ANYTHING that is not a rider training course of some sort. An open track day (even with groups) will not be enjoyable for you and will be a waste of money. And if doing it as a school day(s), sign up for the novice group and take your XR.

Any idea on an insurance provider that would cover the XR at an event like that? I currently have Progressive, my conversation with them was like an exercise in how many times they could say "No". Track day, no. Anything on a closed course, no. Training, yes, as long as it's not on a closed course.. If so, NO! It was comical. So, if I'm drunk, riding wheelies through traffic and bin it, "Yes", I'm covered. But if I'm in a school designed to teach me good habit to not bin it, not covered?! Who comes up with these rules?!?

I think Foremost used to do like single day/event trackday insurance policies. I bet if you do some digging around on track forums you can find a few suggestions.

I think Foremost used to do like single day/event trackday insurance policies. I bet if you do some digging around on track forums you can find a few suggestions.

I reached out to Foremost today, unfortunately, no online quotes in my area, so I need to go through an agent. I do see they seem to offer track day coverage, so really curious to see what they quote, thank you for the suggestion!

Is liability coverage an issue at a track? I wasn't even thinking of that, but what happens if you cause an accident? Or is that something the track covers as part of the fee to ride there?

There is almost always a liability waiver that you sign, which covers all participants for just about anything up to gross negligence or malicious intent.

There is almost always a liability waiver that you sign, which covers all participants for just about anything up to gross negligence or malicious intent.

Perfect, that's great news. My umbrella policy has almost no exclusions other than "not covered by underlying insurance". Track riding, with my current provider (Progressive) would hit that trigger and open me to a potential financial disaster. So a waiver of liability both makes sense and makes life a lot easier, can't imagine that would be easy coverage to find!!

During 6 or 7 on-track schools I attended there was only one crash. These were all Reg or Jason Pridmore schools.
I've only seen 2 crashes in my 15 or so Track Days. Most obvious failure was the guy riding his new S1000RR with Nate Kern in attendance, telling all of us to go easy the 1st few laps as the track was cold. (9:00 am in Michigan in early May). I was 3rd in line and this guy passes us all and crashes at the 3rd turn. Talk about a dips#*t.........

I've only seen 2 crashes in my 15 or so Track Days. Most obvious failure was the guy riding his new S1000RR with Nate Kern in attendance, telling all of us to go easy the 1st few laps as the track was cold. (9:00 am in Michigan in early May). I was 3rd in line and this guy passes us all and crashes at the 3rd turn. Talk about a dips#*t.........

Oh man, that must have hurt (binning a S1000RR)! Comparatively, my wife and I are very, very well off compared to averages, I'm thankful for it every day, but man, these guys who can afford to write off a 20-30K motorcycle at the track, that's a whole different level of wealth. Even if I could afford it, I'm not sure I would; just something in me that balks at the thought of putting that much on the line. But, I guess looking back, when I was racing motocross, the bike was a lot more (as a percentage) of my income than binning a S1000 would be today. Was super rare to total a motocross bike though, we'd bang them up, but a few 100 bucks, you were usually back in action.

There is no way you'll find insurance to cover you for any misfortune that happens at a track day. If you could, don't you think every amateur racer under the sun would sign up for it? :)

However, where I live, if one is taking a school which takes place on a track, one is covered by their standard policy. Makes for worry-free track riding.

There is no way you'll find insurance to cover you for any misfortune that happens at a track day. If you could, don't you think every amateur racer under the sun would sign up for it? :)

However, where I live, if one is taking a school which takes place on a track, one is covered by their standard policy. Makes for worry-free track riding.

Chatting with Foremost, they do explicitly cover track days. The ad for their "plus" level insurance:

"First Accident Forgiveness, Total Loss Settlement (two yrs.), $3,500 Optional Equipment, $1,500 Helmet and Safety Apparel, Towing and Roadside Assistance, Trip Interruption and Track Day coverage are just a few of the items that make the Plus Package a popular choice"

Racing is different; I'd be shocked if anyone offered coverage for a race. Might be out there, but I've never seen it.

Unfortunately, their products are only sold through agents and I'm in the process of trying to find one to get me a quote. The first two told me "no coverage for track days"; when I sent them the above link, they said "Oh, OK" and then both disappeared (no quote). I currently pay around 600/yr on the S1000XR, so I'm curious how much more this will turn out to be. I'll update the thread if/when I hear back.

My current provider (Progressive) does not cover schools/education/etc. Their line is "closed course". If you're on a closed course, you're not covered.

I haven't looked at it in many years, but if memory serves (and it often doesn't these days!) Foremost drew the line at "timed event". As long as it was a track day/school whatever you were fine, but the minute it became a "timed event" then you were on your own.

I haven't looked at it in many years, but if memory serves (and it often doesn't these days!) Foremost drew the line at "timed event". As long as it was a track day/school whatever you were fine, but the minute it became a "timed event" then you were on your own.

I did find a policy from them somewhere online, don't know how old it was, but it was in keeping with what you outlined above. Which make a lot of sense, racing is different than riding on a track. I'm not looking to set the new record for the Isle of Man, just have some fun on a closed course!

I did find a policy from them somewhere online, don't know how old it was, but it was in keeping with what you outlined above. Which make a lot of sense, racing is different than riding on a track. I'm not looking to set the new record for the Isle of Man, just have some fun on a closed course!
"Hi, Foremost? This is Marc Marquez. I am interested in buying a track day po..."
*dial tone*
"Hello?"
"Hello?"

You also want to be sure, whoever might give you a quote, has a good understanding of the difference between a s1000Xr and a s1000Rr. It could dramatically effect the cost.

Last edited:
Back