• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

gear logic for cross country RT trip

demet123

First off thanks to everyone that has posted on the forums, I've learned a lot in the last week of research!

I'm getting ready for a solo cross country trip on new-to-me 2002 R1150RT, leaving New Orleans aprox. July 15th, heading up to Memphis, then Boulder, CO, then due west through Utah and Nevada to Northern California. Then I will spend aprox. a month moving up and down the west coast from Portland to San Diego. Then head back to New Orleans in early/mid September, via the Southwest.

I'm 49 yo male, in OK health. My previous experience has been on older airheads, while in my 30s, for two years a R90/6 was my daily driver. I never did long distances on those bikes, a couple long days, but never more then a few hundred miles. And I was never that serious about gear, although I at least always wore a leather jacket, jeans and boots. There was that one time I wore shorts home from playing tennis because it was so hot, and I have a exhaust scar on my shin to prove it haha.

Anyhoo, I've been trying to gear up, and am expecting a Shoei Qwest helmet in the mail. The Shoei was a bit of a money stretch but I think I'll be happy with the better noise control, by all accounts. I bought some speakers to put in the helmet that can plug into my phone. If I ever need to talk in-helmet I will maybe get a Sena.

I'm planning to wear my trusty old leather Frye boots, which have a side zipper under a leather flap and come up above the ankle. They are not steel toe but are quite stout. They have a heal on them.

I'm planning to wear black Carhartt overalls, that zip from hem to thigh, with button closures along the way. Also extra button closures on sides above the waist. I wore these a lot on the old bikes, you can vent them as need be and they are tough, and zippered chest pocket is very convenient. I know they are not armored, but are still decent denim. Underneath I will wear basic cotton shorts and underwear. I hear people talk about synthetic wicking fabrics, but I have never had much luck with that stuff, I always feel hotter. I might try again if anyone has a strong recommendation.

Looking at a black Tourmaster Air Intake 3.0 mesh jacket in XLT and a BMW rain suit 2XL. I'm worried about heat, which I am not very tolerant of, as I run kind of hot already, fast metabolism. Also I am 6'4" and have long arms and long torso, only 34" inseam. Only a couple companies make Tall sizes in affordable jackets, and Tourmaster seems to be one of the better brands. (Looked at First Gear too). I have read up on the issues of riding in temps above ~94 for extended periods. Of course I will be drinking a lot of liquids, and watching sodium intake. The fairing on the RT should keep most wind off me, but as I am tall above the waist, wind does hit me at top of shoulders. I figure if things get bad I can pour water inside on tshirt, and maybe put waterproof liner in jacket so it doesn't all blow away too fast. Plan to ride early mornings and quit early afternoon if it is above 100ish.

On the other hand, I might hit some cooler temps in the mountains, and on trip home, and the Air Intake has a thermal liner and water/wind liner and again the fairing should keep most wind off me. I will probably bring a long sleeve wool shirt of some kind. Also buying a tube-style balaclava like I used to wear, great as a scarf, and you can pull it up over nose for added warmth. Can wear the rain suit for added wind protection too if need be.

Ordered some light gloves, perforated leather. They are tight, but just fit and should relax a little. Knuckle armor and padding throughout. If my hands get wet, so be it, won't be that cold and have heated grips.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZJJNV8K/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I26SNG03V504I1&colid=17HJ8OIQTAZ5

I'll carry some plastic bags and rubber bands for my boots in case of extreme rain, which I plan to not ride much in. Not in a hurry, so can sit out big storms.

Ordered a cool waterproof tankbag that doubles as a backpack, which could be handy if I do any hiking along the way. Not sure it will fit the RT with the way the tank is close to the handlebars, but we'll see.
https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Backpac...498930195&sr=8-3&keywords=waterproof+tank+bag

Planning on ordering a 30L size drybag for the back seat, for camping gear: hammock, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, tarp, cord, two stakes, small cookstove, wool blanket maybe. Secured with cargo net.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5K7ZY2/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1NUHL1X3ZEXM6&colid=3Q968U2GOXDHT

Considering mounting auxiliary headlight/running lights. Not sure if I need this, but as I'll be doing a fair bit of riding away from freeways, or in rural areas, I'm concerned about wildlife. In that vein, should I get a whistle for the bike, are they effective?

Planning to sell the Garmin unit that came with the bike, and just use my phone and Google maps, pre-downloading routes, and also just asking people for directions. Weird I know, but it worked for Lewis and Clark ;-). Also planning to sell the intercom system that came with the bike.

Trying to figure out a mounting system for my phone wallet, which when open is size of a small tablet. There are various units available but need to figure out best way to attach to bike, and make sure it's secure.

Considering a camelbak for inside the tankbag.

Whelp this is so long no one is going to read it haha! But if anyone does and has any feedback I'm all ears, and appreciative. Just writing it has been helpful in clarifying my thinking around a few issues.

tl;dr 49yo old nutjob riding across country in dead of summer with weird assortment of gear. May the gods have mercy!

DG

Riding through the areas you listed, I would go with a high-viz or lighter color jacket. I have a Tourmaster Air jacket in black, but only really use it in the cooler months. I would carry two pairs of gloves in case of rain (wet gloves are no fun after the rain) and get a better pair of boots ( I use Sidi rain boots) along with some good riding pants with hip and knee protection. Skimping on gear will catch up with you. As far as a rain suit, I have a brand new BMW one piece that hangs in my closet. I prefer to use my Tourmaster two piece suit because it is easier to put on in a hurry. Definitely carry the Camelbak for extra hydration. I carry one in my tank bag along with a small cooler on the back seat. Make sure you also have a good tire repair kit with either CO2 cartridges or an electric air pump (preferred) and a first-aid kit. I do solo trips to California from Texas in the summer (I also carry a small umbrella in case I get stuck on the side of the road during the day in the heat). For me, auxiliary lighting is a must. I use Motolights and Hyperlites on my bike. This is my K13GT packed for a trip to California.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 816
Riding through the areas you listed, I would go with a high-viz or lighter color jacket. I have a Tourmaster Air jacket in black, but only really use it in the cooler months. I would carry two pairs of gloves in case of rain (wet gloves are no fun after the rain) and get a better pair of boots ( I use Sidi rain boots) along with some good riding pants with hip and knee protection. Skimping on gear will catch up with you. As far as a rain suit, I have a brand new BMW one piece that hangs in my closet. I prefer to use my Tourmaster two piece suit because it is easier to put on in a hurry. Definitely carry the Camelbak for extra hydration. I carry one in my tank bag along with a small cooler on the back seat. Make sure you also have a good tire repair kit with either CO2 cartridges or an electric air pump (preferred) and a first-aid kit. I do solo trips to California from Texas in the summer (I also carry a small umbrella in case I get stuck on the side of the road during the day in the heat). For me, auxiliary lighting is a must. I use Motolights and Hyperlites on my bike. This is my K13GT packed for a trip to California.

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm adding a few things that you mentioned, and it's great to see your bike loaded for reference. Do you have an opinion about brake light modulators? I seem to notice them readily when I see them on other bikes.

Also regarding the tire repair kit and compressor: I can certainly see the logic of having that, but with space at a premium is it worth it? I have roadside assistance through my insurance and the odds of a flat seem fairly low so I'm thinking I might skip that, hope for the best, and worse case wait out a repair guy.

Yeah, i wish i had gone with the high vis jacket but it was just so ugly. Not a good reason I know! I'll test this jacket here in New Orleans, and if it is really unbearable I'll trade it in for high vis.

Your tank bag looks very big and I'm glad to see something that big works. I should get mine in the mail tomorrow.

I don't use a brake light modulator because my rear light is bright enough and I have the reflective kit for my panniers. I do use the Hyperlites for running lights and braking. To me the tire repair kit is a must. Sometimes you are in areas that have no cell service and waiting around for someone to come and fix a nail hole is a waste of time. I also have roadside assistance with AAA and the only time I've used it for a motorcycle is when I broke the drive shaft on my R1200RT. When I pack for a trip, I put my tools, first aid kit, tire kit and rain gear in the left pannier and my clothes for the trip in the right pannier. If I need more space, I alternate between a 33 liter soft bag and a 49 liter top case. The tank bag I have is large, and it is made for the K1200GT.

Wearing Carhartt overalls to protect your lower half is basically a wasted effort as they'll shred pretty quickly once you hit the ground. I'd look at a pair of Tourmaster or similar entry-level riding pants. They're waterproof and have armor.

I wear my CamelBak, but only because my tank bag is full of sunscreen, lip balm, maps, energy bars, floppy wide-brimmed hat, spare gloves... I also wear one of the bandannas you soak in cold water which is nice when crossing the Southwest.

I'd also take a tire plug kit and either several Co2 cartridges or one of those mini-compressors you hook up to a battery.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun! Best thing to pack is a sense of humor and of course the classic advice: take half as much stuff and twice as much money. :)

Wearing Carhartt overalls to protect your lower half is basically a wasted effort as they'll shred pretty quickly once you hit the ground. I'd look at a pair of Tourmaster or similar entry-level riding pants. They're waterproof and have armor.
This is a pair of Tourmaster Venture Air pants that survived a 55mph get-off on my CBR1000RR. I bought the exact same pants the second time around. Armor is your friend.

Best thing to pack is a sense of humor and of course the classic advice: take half as much stuff and twice as much money.
I always travel with a fresh American Express card.

Attachments

• DSC_1334.jpg
    DSC_1334.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 646
I have this 30L dry bag. In my case it holds my sleeping bag, a small pillow and a fleece jacket...that's it! Your list of what you want to stash in yours sounds over optimistic to me.

And to give you a hint about age and crossing the country on a motorcycle: You have to ride another 35 years before you would even have a chance to win 'the oldest' price at a BMW rally. :wave

Enjoy the ride and learn what needs to be changed next time!

/Guenther

Thanks all!

Got my uber-cool hipster tank bag today and... oh right, fairings are not metal so magnets are useless. LOL boy do I feel dumb. It's not that I thought the body was metal, it's just that I never put it together in my head doh. So that gets returned tomorrow, luckily Amazon makes it easy. Now on the hunt for a bag that will work on a 1150RT. Or maybe getting a camelbak type backpack and adapting it to fit on tank??

Yes guys, ditching the Carhartt idea, and I ordered some armored riding pants, leather where it counts with CE armor and mesh elsewhere. Probably not the highest quality, but hopefully they will last this trip and when funds are plentiful in the future I can upgrade.
https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Motorc...ck+Leather+Race+Pants+with+4+Piece+Armor+PT53

Got my Shoei Qwest helmet and love it! Head fits great, snug and a tad tight but it will relax I'm sure. Cheeks were fishfaced but I did surgery on the pads and now it's good, mild fishface and will relax I think. Installed some speaker and they fit great, sound good in my living room haha, will road test tomorrow. They are wired, and plugged into a little (box of matches size) Bluetooth receiver I already had, that I've attached some velcro too. We'll see how long it lasts, I'm sure it's not waterproof. I'll get a Sena at some point probably.

Finally got bike back from mechanic with new Metzler front tire and fresh oil throughout. He was arguing against a brake modulator, and suggested I just replace bulbs with LED. I will look into that tomorrow and maybe put the modulator on hold. He said he has seen them mess with bike electronics in unpredictable ways. There is already a running light LED light bar on back, but half the bulbs are burnt out I think. I'll look at replacing it.

I really appreciate all the feedback! I honestly did miss the sense of community that exists in the motorcycle world.

I wear my CamelBak, but only because my tank bag is full of sunscreen, lip balm, maps, energy bars, floppy wide-brimmed hat, spare gloves... I also wear one of the bandannas you soak in cold water which is nice when crossing the Southwest.

I'd also take a tire plug kit and either several Co2 cartridges or one of those mini-compressors you hook up to a battery.

Sounds like a great trip, have fun! Best thing to pack is a sense of humor and of course the classic advice: take half as much stuff and twice as much money. :)

Yeah that was my plan! But I'm spending all my money on 'must-have' gear ugh. And thanks, I do need to pack a hat of course. See how that works, more stuff less money!?
One follow up question: some guys say the wet soaker bandanna thing doesn't really work in wind as it dries really fast. Is your experience different? I'm tall so head is above fairing...

I have this 30L dry bag. In my case it holds my sleeping bag, a small pillow and a fleece jacket...that's it! Your list of what you want to stash in yours sounds over optimistic to me.

And to give you a hint about age and crossing the country on a motorcycle: You have to ride another 35 years before you would even have a chance to win 'the oldest' price at a BMW rally. :wave

Enjoy the ride and learn what needs to be changed next time!

/Guenther

I guess you're probably right, I'll have to do some serious test packing once it gets here, maybe just place the tarp on the rear seat with the dry bag on top. And might not even bring the camp stove.

It would be awesome to win 'the oldest' prize at a event, life goals!

Yes guys, ditching the Carhartt idea, and I ordered some armored riding pants, leather where it counts with CE armor and mesh elsewhere. Probably not the highest quality, but hopefully they will last this trip and when funds are plentiful in the future I can upgrade.
Those are going to be really uncomfortable riding through Southwest even in late September heat. I am originally from Los Angeles and I wore full leathers all of the time on my sport bikes. As soon as I moved to Texas, I sold the leathers and went to textile suits.

One follow up question: some guys say the wet soaker bandanna thing doesn't really work in wind as it dries really fast. Is your experience different? I'm tall so head is above fairing...

I have used cotton bandanas, buffs, and Cool Wraps, which are bandanas filled with sort of pellet or crystals that absorb water. I have found in my summer tours of AZ, CA, NV, and my own OR desert that Cool Wraps work the best. I keep a nalogene water bottle in my top case and redunk the Cool Wrap every two, three, or four hours.

My head is above the windshield of my GSA as well.

I use a Fieldsheer cool vest when I know I will be going through Phoenix to Las Vegas during the summer.

complete service on bike before you leave, but be sure and ride a couple hundred miles before trip. New tires at start are a must, plus patch kit and pump(cycle gears works for me)
Quality helmet and riding gear, don't go cheap here. Since your gonna hit some very hot areas plan accordingly when purchasing gear
I've found packing lite works best, underwear and socks that allow washing in hotel showers work best
Enjoy the ride

Those are going to be really uncomfortable riding through Southwest even in late September heat. I am originally from Los Angeles and I wore full leathers all of the time on my sport bikes. As soon as I moved to Texas, I sold the leathers and went to textile suits.

Yeah OK, I thought with the mesh and leather combo I would be getting best of both, but now I am finding other pants that do not look as tight, so the mesh will allow air throughout leg area. Thanks for the feedback!

I have used cotton bandanas, buffs, and Cool Wraps, which are bandanas filled with sort of pellet or crystals that absorb water. I have found in my summer tours of AZ, CA, NV, and my own OR desert that Cool Wraps work the best. I keep a nalogene water bottle in my top case and redunk the Cool Wrap every two, three, or four hours.

My head is above the windshield of my GSA as well.

OK cool, I already have a soaker bandana, and if that seems to work OK in tests here before I leave I will look into a Cool Wrap, thanks!

complete service on bike before you leave, but be sure and ride a couple hundred miles before trip. New tires at start are a must, plus patch kit and pump(cycle gears works for me)
Quality helmet and riding gear, don't go cheap here. Since your gonna hit some very hot areas plan accordingly when purchasing gear
I've found packing lite works best, underwear and socks that allow washing in hotel showers work best
Enjoy the ride

Thank you! I have definitely been upgrading my gear selections as I go. I should probably try some synthetic underwear, I usually hate that stuff, prefer cotton, but I know it dries a lot faster. I just had bike checked out by a local Euro mechanic and got oil changed and he recommended a new front tire. Still not sure about tire kit, I'm running out of space fast. Have you ever had to repair a tire on the road somewhere you couldn't get roadside assistance within an hour? It just seems like tire punctures are a bit rare. Of course now that I keep saying that I will get one lol.

It just seems like tire punctures are a bit rare. Of course now that I keep saying that I will get one lol.

My bike was in the shop with a set of tires that only had a thousand miles on them and one of the techs picked up a nail in the rear tire.

For underwear, I use LD Riding shorts and for a shirt either an LD shirt or Nike Dri-Fit or Underarmour version of a wicking T-shirt. For socks, I've used either BMW socks or KLIM.

Not a brand boaster, I just found these work for me. I've also tried the bicycling short route, but had mixed success with that. Aerostich makes a nice riding short, too.

Layers are your friend when riding across a wide range of temperatures.

Traveling "over the road"

Lot of good advice in the posts. My .02 is you will run into heat, and rain. I won't buy any gear unless it is waterproof. Lose the coveralls and get a pair of waterproof riding pants. They're waterproof, and if you are unfortunate and have a get off, you'll survive to get up and go, plus you can pack lighter. You can pour bottled water on to your undershirt to get it wet when it is really hot, but 15 minutes later it'll be dry and you'll be very hot again. There are several cooling vests on the market (you said you didn't do heat well) and I recommend the Polar Vest, check it out. Aerostich sells inexpensive rain over-gloves. I use deerskin gloves and when it starts to rain, slip on the over-gloves. Sometimes you're in in the situation where you can't really stop and if you get soaked, you'll have to pull off out of the rain (difficult) to change. Very impractical on the road. Better to plan, keep going, and stay dry. The over-gloves roll up and fit in your jacket pocket. Oh yeah, get a good jacket. 1st Gear offers some great waterproof jackets that extend slightly below the waist, and also have a thermal liner that you can take out when it gets warm for around $200.

You'll see a range of temperatures on the road, and more so out west, where the desert (long flat 40-80 mile stretches between the mountains) is really hot, and then you hit the mountains and are going through a pass at 7-8000ft and temp drops 20-30 degrees. All good fun.

bmw_road_moasigpic.jpg

Lot of good advice in the posts. My .02 is you will run into heat, and rain. I won't buy any gear unless it is waterproof. Lose the coveralls and get a pair of waterproof riding pants. They're waterproof, and if you are unfortunate and have a get off, you'll survive to get up and go, plus you can pack lighter. You can pour bottled water on to your undershirt to get it wet when it is really hot, but 15 minutes later it'll be dry and you'll be very hot again. There are several cooling vests on the market (you said you didn't do heat well) and I recommend the Polar Vest, check it out. Aerostich sells inexpensive rain over-gloves. I use deerskin gloves and when it starts to rain, slip on the over-gloves. Sometimes you're in in the situation where you can't really stop and if you get soaked, you'll have to pull off out of the rain (difficult) to change. Very impractical on the road. Better to plan, keep going, and stay dry. The over-gloves roll up and fit in your jacket pocket. Oh yeah, get a good jacket. 1st Gear offers some great waterproof jackets that extend slightly below the waist, and also have a thermal liner that you can take out when it gets warm for around $200.

You'll see a range of temperatures on the road, and more so out west, where the desert (long flat 40-80 mile stretches between the mountains) is really hot, and then you hit the mountains and are going through a pass at 7-8000ft and temp drops 20-30 degrees. All good fun.

Thanks, I've been rethinking my strategy every couple of hours. Received my BMW rain suit in the mail today and upper body is OK fit, but legs are very long... Also your point about it being a pain to pull off the road, and put on the suit is well taken.

BUT I'm more worried about heat then rain or cold for this trip. So I'm not sure a waterproof jacket is a good idea as I will just not wear it if it is too hot, and most of the jackets built for warm weather are not waterproof, i.e. mesh jackets. I may just stick with plan of a mesh jacket and rain suit for really bad rain, but otherwise I might get wet, but more then likely it will be warm rain and/or will warm up soon and I will dry quickly. If it looks like longer or cooler rain, I will either stop riding or put on the suit (which I will need to see about the fit though...).

Finding a true four season jacket that comes in Tall sizing is proving difficult!

I think wearing waterproof pants, with vents, will be OK as most heat issues will be in torso.

Finding a true four season jacket that comes in Tall sizing is proving difficult!

Tourmaster Sonora Air. Sizing is generous and comes in Talls. I have some nits with the jacket, but it's a reliable performer at a reasonable price.

Received my BMW rain suit in the mail today and upper body is OK fit, but legs are very long... Also your point about it being a pain to pull off the road, and put on the suit is well taken.
You need to put on the suit and sit on the bike using the center stand. The legs will shorten a bit. You also need to try putting on and taking off the rain suit with your riding gear on. That will be the challenge. I bought mine one size larger than my riding gear because I knew it might be a tight fit. I took mine out of the package and tried it with my gear on, and it has been hanging in my closet ever since (thought I might have to cut it to get it off).

Back