• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Montana 600 Issue

sickticket

My set up - 2013 BMW R1200RT, Montana 600 in their AMPS Rugged Mount. Last year I was doing my first Saddle Sore 1000 and about six turns into the run I was entering the Pa Turnpike when the GPS froze up. The marker and the map froze. I pulled over and tried to reboot but it would not even shut down. I pulled the unit from the mount and pulled the battery. On reboot it seemed ok but once I started the route option, the unit would freeze again. I pulled the battery again and used the map but kept off the routing. Since I had the total route typed and in my tank bag, I kept on going and finished the SS1000 in 20 hours. Long day but a blast. (using a Russell Day Long and I could have done another 1000 mi)
I contacted Garmin and they said that I needed a software update. I did that but did not do any new routes until about two months ago.
I was starting my north route of the Whispering Giants rally. Going from Pa to Burlington, Vt, my Montana 600 froze up again about an hour from Burlington. I did the battery trick again but even the map would not come back. Since I lost my waypoints, I had to quite the rally and go home.
I contacted Garmin and, even though my unit was out of warranty, they sent me a replacement. I made sure the new (refurbished) unit had the newest software, a microSD chip installed. Before I restarted my rally, I wrote a short route that would take about three hours and had almost 40 road changes. It was known roads so that no matter what happened, I could get home.
About half way through, the unit froze up just like my first unit.
I contacted Garmin again and they had no solution except they sent me a new Rugged Mount. They thought I was getting interrupted power to the unit which would cause a fault in the program.
Since I never had any issues with the map, compass or going to a single waypoint, I doubt their conclusion. I only had problems with routing shutting down the unit.

Anyone every hear of this issue and how I should deal with it?

Thank you.

Not the same issue but had a similar thing. Unit never froze but it kept sending a message about a non authorized battery. You Tube had an answer, which was a loose battery due to bumps vibration and suggested a small piece of foam on top of the battery to keep it from vibrating. Did that and unit was golden for the rest of the trip.

Try a few searches on Google/YouTube. If it happened to you it happened to someone else and maybe a solution has been posted.

Try Montana Wiki to see if there is a solution http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/

My 550 is warn out considering upgrade vers repair. Considering skipping the 600 and going straight to the the Garmin 590lm. Any thoughts, anyone have any user review on this device?

Back