• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Garmin Updates available

jgoertz

New updates out there for Garmin Express (new version is 7.16.2.0). Latest map update is 2024.1. There may also be a software update (not map update) for some models of Garmin GPS.

Some tips for easier updates:
1) Reboot your computer to give it a chance to finish any updates that may be "hung" in never-neverland and to flush some of the buffers.
2) If running Windows 10 or 11, run Garmin Express in the Administrator mode
3) If you're having problems installing the maps directly to your GPS, install the maps to your PC, then use the MAPINSTALL option from Basecamp to install the updated maps to your GPS unit. I know there is probably a stand-alone version of Mapinstall, but I've had much better luck with Basecamp/Mapinstall to put the maps where I want them.
4) After successfully installing your map update, check the settings in your Garmin and be sure that 2024.1 is the version enabled.
5) Once you're sure that the install is good, open up File Manager and delete all the old maps that may be cluttering up your internal memory or your SD card. Look in your GARMIN/GPX folder(s) and delete all files that don't have today's date. There should only be 3 files in that folder, (you actually only need two files, both with 2024.1 in the file name. The third file with today's date and with a name consisting of a lot numbers is used for the update, and can also be safely deleted once the update has installed correctly).

Other observations made over the years: If installing in internal memory, GARMIN Express usually cleans up the old map files. Not so if installing to the SD card. With the size of the mapfiles today, you can easily run out of space on the SD card, and even easier on the internal memory card.

BTW, I updated Garmin Express on 3 different computers and maps/software on 3 different GPS units (NAVA V, Montana 660, Nuvi 2539LMT). Total elapsed time -- about 2 hours, including the reboots and using MapInstall. I only install one PC at a time!

Good luck, to all of you who, like me, still use Garmin GPS instead of telephone or the Connected App.

New updates out there for Garmin Express (new version is 7.16.2.0). Latest map update is 2024.1. There may also be a software update (not map update) for some models of Garmin GPS.

Some tips for easier updates:
1) Reboot your computer to give it a chance to finish any updates that may be "hung" in never-neverland and to flush some of the buffers.
2) If running Windows 10 or 11, run Garmin Express in the Administrator mode
3) If you're having problems installing the maps directly to your GPS, install the maps to your PC, then use the MAPINSTALL option from Basecamp to install the updated maps to your GPS unit. I know there is probably a stand-alone version of Mapinstall, but I've had much better luck with Basecamp/Mapinstall to put the maps where I want them.
4) After successfully installing your map update, check the settings in your Garmin and be sure that 2024.1 is the version enabled.
5) Once you're sure that the install is good, open up File Manager and delete all the old maps that may be cluttering up your internal memory or your SD card. Look in your GARMIN/GPX folder(s) and delete all files that don't have today's date. There should only be 3 files in that folder, (you actually only need two files, both with 2024.1 in the file name. The third file with today's date and with a name consisting of a lot numbers is used for the update, and can also be safely deleted once the update has installed correctly).

Other observations made over the years: If installing in internal memory, GARMIN Express usually cleans up the old map files. Not so if installing to the SD card. With the size of the mapfiles today, you can easily run out of space on the SD card, and even easier on the internal memory card.

BTW, I updated Garmin Express on 3 different computers and maps/software on 3 different GPS units (NAVA V, Montana 660, Nuvi 2539LMT). Total elapsed time -- about 2 hours, including the reboots and using MapInstall. I only install one PC at a time!

Good luck, to all of you who, like me, still use Garmin GPS instead of telephone or the Connected App.

Good info. Thanks!

Back