• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

PSA, Garmin repairs

brownie0486

Short Tronics, INC.
51612 US Highway 169
Mankato, MN 56001-6584
email is repairs@palmdr.com

Chris Short owns the business. Two months ago he replaced my Nav5 screen I cracked.

Last week I took delivery of another NIB Nav5, when it arrived it only had the east coast maps loaded. I called Garmin who worked with me through Garmin Express to get the full NA map loaded, to no avail.

Called Chris, he said sent it. He got it yesterday afternoon, and at 1pm today, he emailed me it was good to go with a repair price. $134.80, the unit had an 8gig memory and it was too full so he upgraded the unit to 16 gig and loaded the maps easily. Nearly 20 of that was the card plus shipping back to me. I got the unit at a fantastic deal of 300.00, now the NIB Nav 5 stands me 434.80.

Ebay, NIB 5's are running about the same as my total, so I'm not too too disappointed really. As it's NIB and has an upgraded memory card, worth it to have this spare on weeks long hauls across the western US.

Chris is easy to work with and told me he can pretty much work on any Garmin products. Got a problem with your Nav? another Garmin product, night be worth reaching out to him

I’ll second the repairs done by Short Tronics. He has replaced busted buttons and cracked screens on various Garmins. Prices are very reasonable along with the prompt turn-around time.

Let me add my congrats & recommendations for Chris Short. I have a Garmin 650, long discontinued. Last summer, I noticed the power button was cracked in half, with half of the button missing. I contacted Garmin for a suggestion for a repair location. Their answer: "That's a discontinued model. We no longer support that model. We do not know of any repair facilities where you can get your unit repaired. We will offer you 20% off on a new Montana 700". No sale from my part. None of the 650 accessories would fit, and I'd have to buy new mounts, a new map license, etcetera. Total cost with the Garmin route would have exceeded $900 (including the unit and duplicating all the accessories I have for my 650). I found a NOS 680 at an acceptable price and bought it. Then I found Chris (from a post on this site). I contacted Chris via e-mail, told him my tale of woe/Garmin response. Chris said, "Let me see what I can do." A day later he contacted me with the news he could order from who knows where and the repair would be about 10% of the cost Garmin quoted for the Montana 700. Two weeks later I have a repaired 650 in my hands. I'll probably keep both the 650 & 680. I can always use one as a spare!

Thank you, Chris, for a great job and great price!

Back