• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Don't buy GARMIN....until you read this...

vectorprime27

The short version:
DO NOT BUY GARMIN GPS ? Garmin?s MapUpdater wiped out my GPS, and now Garmin won?t fix it. Garmin response to Customer Service is as bad as any I?ve ever experienced.

The long version with all the (gory) details:
I have a Garmin StreetPilot 2820, the forerunner to the Zumo line. When new, this GPS cost over $1,000. It has been a great GPS for my motorcycle. However, I recently plugged it into the computer to update the map (I have Lifetime Map Updates for it) and the MapUpdater program wiped it out. I have to use MapUpdater because the newer program (Garmin Express) doesn?t support the StreetPilot anymore. When launched, MapUpdater immediately began to download an updated version of itself. It didn?t ask me if I wanted the newer version, it just immediately began the upgrade. Once the upgrade to MapUpdater was finished, it began the process of updating the maps for my StreetPilot. All seemed well until the GPS restarted after the update. The GPS froze at the ?Loading Maps? screen. Not matter what I tried, I could not restart the GPS at all ? it locked up at the ?Loading Maps? initial screen.

I tried to reinstal the Maps, but I could never get the MapUpdater program to connect to the GPS because the GPS froze every time it was turned on. I updated the Communicator Plugin (4.20) and manually updated the MapUpdater program again (3.3.3) to see if that would help ? it didn?t. Finally, I was able to connect to my computer where I deleted the files gmapsupp.img and gmapprom.img and this allowed the GPS to start, but with no maps (you need those for a GPS). The GPS in this state is not usable. Despite numerous tries, the MapUpdater program crashed during my attempt to installed maps ? any map - every time. I?m using Windows 8.1 64-bit version. Also ran program using Windows 7 compatibility and administrator mode. Nothing could revive the GPS, so I gave up and contacted Garmin Technical Support for help.

Garmin replied back that my StreetPilot was toast (really!), and could not be repaired. They offered to give me a 52LM or a 54LM as a replacement. Sadly, that option won?t work, and I replied to explain the problem with their offer. My StreetPilot 2820 is waterproof?necessary when using it on a motorcycle (which is all I use this one for). It also has Bluetooth - again necessary to connect to my motorcycle helmet headset. Finally, it has real buttons (in addition to the touchscreen), which can be used while wearing gloves?again, necessary for use with a motorcycle. The two units Garmin offered have none of those features, and are as useless to me as the StreetPilot is now.

Garmin replied back to that email and offered to sell me a comparable unit at 40% off. Again, not an acceptable option because to get a comparable unit, I?d have to pay over $400 out of pocket?to fix THEIR mistake! I declined their offer again and asked to be put in touch with someone who could resolve this.

Today, I got another reply basically telling me I?m screwed and Garmin isn?t going to do anything other than either give me a substantially inferior replacement, or take over $400 to fix their mistake. No matter how you slice it, this is wrong. Had I known that the update would wipe the GPS out, I never would have done it. No warnings exist anywhere explaining that (although I plan to change that). Garmin BREAKS a perfectly good GPS, and the only recourse I have it to accept a replacement unit that does not even come close to the same capability / features as the unit the Garmin broke?.OR?.I can pay over $400 (after their generous discount) to Garmin for a replacement unit.

Now in this country (world?), I?ve been taught that you are responsible to fix or replace things you break. That is a fundamental truth that even my 5 year old grandson knows. It?s not only the RIGHT thing to do, it is a matter of principle upon which our society exists. I didn?t break the GPS. Garmin?s own software did. My GPS worked perfectly until Garmin?s MapUpdater software wiped it out. IMHO it?s now Garmin?s responsibility to either repair the unit, or replace it with a COMPARABLE unit with the same features for a much more reasonable cost than the $400+ they are offering. I don?t think I?m being unreasonable here. I really expected Garmin to treat a longtime customer better.
You might want to consider this before YOU spend your hard earned money on a GPS unit. As I stated before, don?t buy Garmin. As for me, I?m going to see what other options are available.

I feel your pain. I work in IT. I wish I could get Microsoft or Apple to buy me a new computer every time one of their updates hoses one and I have to rebuild it! It might seem fair, but it ain't going to happen! Nature of the beast.

I'd be happy if I could rebuild it. I can't even go back to what I had. And for the record, I'm not asking for a new one for free....I'll pay a REASONABLE fee. $400 ain't reasonable.

I feel your pain. I work in IT. I wish I could get Microsoft or Apple to buy me a new computer every time one of their updates hoses one and I have to rebuild it! It might seem fair, but it ain't going to happen! Nature of the beast.

I think this is the crux of the issue. Electronics are not forever. Support for out of date products is not viable. Manufacturers develop updating systems for the lowest common denominator and make everything they can automatic to smooth a process and reduce manned support costs.
Fact of life with electronics. That is why it is a great idea to research update issues on forums before commencing

Try contacting Chris Short: repairs@palmdr.com The company is also known as Short Tronics, Inc. and is located in Mankato, Minnesota.

He repairs Garmin GPS. He fixed my totally messed up Zumo 450 and it works like new. Price was reasonable.

You can also check out the palmdr website.

I'd be happy if I could rebuild it.

Don't give up too soon. I have never failed to resurrect one. Some are just harder than others. That is the true value of the internet. The answer to any question is usually out there. You just have to narrow your searches and cut through the clutter to find it. And as suggested, never update without thorough evaluation and a backup/restore plan.

Yeah, also IT systems engineer here. Sounds like maybe it ran out of memory. My customers have to replace servers every 3 years, some push it to 5. No support after that. No one likes it but the technology moves so fast it just can't be supported forever.

Yeah, also IT systems engineer here. Sounds like maybe it ran out of memory. My customers have to replace servers every 3 years, some push it to 5. No support after that. No one likes it but the technology moves so fast it just can't be supported forever.
Yeah, I still have some Dell PowerEdge 2850's that I'm squeezing the life out of :laugh.

Does it have a memory card slot or a card that you can replace with a larger one? That last time I updated my Zummo 220 the voice did not work. I called Garmin and they said there internal memory was not large enough anymore and to install a card in the slot. Now it works fine.

Yeah, I still have some Dell PowerEdge 2850's that I'm squeezing the life out of :laugh.

My Commodore 64 doesn't work anymore either :laugh:laugh:laugh

I have not updated either one of our 550's the last two years, the last time required a memory card and on our satellite internet, took several attempts due to alotted download allowance.
Have replaced both units a few times through Garmins exchange program due to major screen lockups...it's the nature of the beast it seems with technology leaps.

While I agree that Garmin is not as consumer friendly as they were perhaps 5 years ago, I can't blame them for dropping support of older units. Technology moves on and while planned or not, obsolescence if part of that. I had a Street Pilot 2610 that has to be about 8-10 years old, and can no longer update the maps on it.

On this forum thread there is a link to download GarminMapUpdater.exe 3.0.0 (according to the .exe information). I didn't run the installation. So it could be version 3.3.3 when it is finally installed. But you may give it a try to check yourself.

Seems like some users got MapUpdater to work correctly on a Windows XP3 system. Any chance for you to get a hand on one of these?

/Guenther

I just loaded all Garmin software onto my new laptop.

I was able to install and unlock City Navigator Europe 2012.1 NT, but not City Navigator North America V8. Both unlocks done on-line.

An error message came up for the latter telling me my entries do not match, yet when I log in and check my map packages that are registered to my Garmin units, sure enough the Garmin 60Cx I am trying to install the maps on is listed.

Go figure. I'll call them next week.

I am so happy that the aircraft I used to fly are a lot more reliable than anything IT related...or I would not be here writing this. LOL

For those who are suggesting that I should just accept this and move up to new technology, I think you are missing the point. Let me see if you can better understand this example:

Let?s say you bring your 1990 BMW R100RT into the dealer for an oil change. The bike runs fine, and all you need is an oil change. However, while the bike is there, the dealer decides to replace an electronic controller with a newer version. The dealer doesn't ask for permission to make this update, he just makes the change. When you return to pick up your bike, you hit the starter switch, whereupon the new controller blows up, starting a fire and destroying your motorcycle. "I'm terribly sorry", the dealer says, "But there isn?t anything I can do. I can't replace that old motorcycle, but I'll give you a nice new Vespa Scooter instead". "Really?" you say. "But it's brand new technology!", the dealer says. Of course you refuse, because a new Vespa is no where near the same as a BMW motorcycle. "Okay then", the dealer says, "Then I'll give you big discount on a new motorcycle. Just give me many thousands of dollars and you'll be happy. But don't worry" the dealer continues, "I won't make as much profit on it".

How would you feel? You didn't ask for an upgrade, and the dealer destroyed a perfectly good motorcycle. And to add insult to injury, all he is offering is either an very inferior replacement, or a new motorcycle that will cost you many times the cost of the oil change which is all you really wanted. You were never told about the upgrade, didn't approve it, but are now being asked to bear the consequences.

It's got nothing to do with old technology. It's got everything to do with taking responsibility for your actions. It's the principle. Had Garmin stated BEFORE they destroyed my GPS that they no longer supported it, and running the update would irretrievably damage the GPS, I would not have done so. They did not. Now a perfectly good GPS no longer functions, and even Garmin acknowledges that it can't be fixed. Since they won't do the right thing, I'm going to do all I can to make sure everyone knows how they treat customers. In the end, I believe it'll cost them much more than simply doing the right thing would have. It always does. They can still step up and fix this, but until they do I'm going to take every opportunity to share my experience.

No sense debating something with someone whose mind is made up so I hope you get the satisfaction you feel you deserve. You might be surprised what is packed into that fine print you never read though.

Microsoft just caused a number of PC owners to up-grade their computers and the grief and expense that can come with your perfectly fine computer becoming obsolete. OK, they told them in advance that support for XP was going to be discontinued- even extended the "end of support" for a while, but they still did it.
I understand your PO'd at Garmin, vote with your wallet, try another brand.
Communications are not what they should be in many areas nowadays, it really seems that there should be a warning that "this upgrade may exceed the memory of older units".
They didn't pick you out of a long line of possibles and attack you and your GPS personally, you just got caught up in the quest for the "latest and greatest".
It is good to have this possibility for a failure brought to the Members attention.
Good luck.
OM

I guess the "lifetime maps" is a meaningless offer, too?

I'm with the OP. I'm running a 7 y.o. Mac, three old Garmin HH units as needed and don't ask about the age of my cars. Excessive promises, unimpressive results etc have given me a thorough loathing of all of the tech swindlers. They can all go pee up a rope with their "newer and better" that will quit .36 seconds after leaving the store and charge for the privilege of "warranty" repair.:hungover

vectorprime27,

since your GPS is "responsive" again I could imagine that with the old MapUpdater it may succeed installing maps again.

Do you remember the version of the previous MapUpdater which worked for you?

What message did you get when "the MapUpdater program crashed"?

/Guenther

Back