• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

ESA Questions 2009 R1200RT

tmwilmotte

I just recently bought a used 2009 RT and I think the ESA may be malfunctioning. Is the motor supposed to change the position (lower/higher) of the rear shock? With the ignition on, when I cycle thru the damping settings (Normal, Sport, Comfort), I don't see or hear any changing taking place. Also, with the engine running, it doesn't seem to adjust the spring preload settings (no visual change in shock or noise from the ESA shock motor). The reason I am concerned about this is the seat height is currently about 34" from ground level versus the 32.28'' that it's supposed to be. I had a 2004 RT and had no problem flat-footing it and walking it around (straddling the saddle) in the garage. I can barely do this now because the seat is too high. I'm 6 feet tall with a 32" inseam -- I didn't think I would need a low seat. Am I supposed to be able to hear the ESA motor adjusting the rear shock? If it's broken, could it break in the "high" position making the seat height about 2 inches higher? This is very puzzling to me. :dunno

Last edited:
The ESA motor can be felt operating when you change spring preload settings; ie 1 helmet, 1 helmet with luggage, or 2 helmets but not when changing from comfort to standard to sport settings. You need to have the engine running in neutral. If you select a different springload wait until the display starts flashing and you should feel the change happening. At least that's how my '08 works.

The ESA motor can be felt operating when you change spring preload settings; ie 1 helmet, 1 helmet with luggage, or 2 helmets but not when changing from comfort to standard to sport settings. You need to have the engine running in neutral. If you select a different springload wait until the display starts flashing and you should feel the change happening. At least that's how my '08 works.

I have an '09 and the preload can only be changed at a standstill (obviously) bike in neutral and exactly smartin108 has described.

The comfort normal and sport setting change the damping, stiffness of the shocks, thus the ride charecteristics.

ESA may need reprogramming, mine did (05RT). Mt headlite beam was way high. Dealer did a (while u wait), cost 1 hour. Thought I won the lottery vs new shock cost

Thanks for the info. I'll test it while sitting on the bike with the engine running (and in neutral). If I don't feel it changing, I'll hope it just needs a "reprogramming." My warranty is good until Feb 2013, so it shouldn't cost me anything except time.

Thanks for the info. I'll test it while sitting on the bike with the engine running (and in neutral). If I don't feel it changing, I'll hope it just needs a "reprogramming." My warranty is good until Feb 2013, so it shouldn't cost me anything except time.

Be careful here! At low temperatures, I don't think you should be sitting on the bike when you change the preload. Engine should be running, and you should be off the bike, waiting until the setting is complete. At least, that's what was recommended with ESA on my 2009 GS. I guess ESA II is the same, maybe even more so with the new Elastogran thingy. Just put your hand on the seat and you should feel the change, either up or down.

On or off..

Be careful here! At low temperatures, I don't think you should be sitting on the bike when you change the preload. Engine should be running, and you should be off the bike, waiting until the setting is complete. At least, that's what was recommended with ESA on my 2009 GS. I guess ESA II is the same, maybe even more so with the new Elastogran thingy. Just put your hand on the seat and you should feel the change, either up or down.

Since you have to be in neutral and basically stopped, you're effectively off the bike when you change the setting unless you have way better balance than me... :brad

I can understand why it may be more gentle to change it without a pillion, but getting off the bike doesn't seem right to me... If no weight were the issue you'd also have to pull your luggage.

When changing the preload, just stand up and straddle the bike. You'll feel the bike raise or lower between your legs. For damping (comfort-sport), start at comfort. Bounce up and down. It is soft like a mattress. Normal is stiffer, like a padded chair, and sport is like a park bence with a newspaper on it. I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea. If it does not raise or lower, doesn't change stiffness, then you have a problem.

Also, check to see if the seat was moved up to its highest setting by the previous owner.

Having suffered with ESA replacement in the past on my 06 Rt I regularly test it now by having bike on center stand engine running. I change preload settings and watch rear wheel go up and down. If it doesn't move I'm going back to dealer for my warranty replacement.

Esa

I checked it this afternoon. The pre-load adjustment appears to travel about 10mm from "two helmets" to "one helmet," with "one helmet" in the all the way down (lowest seat position). So I think it's working correctly. I guess I'll need to adjust to the added pressure on my crotch when I straddle-walk it around in my garage. :)

ESA differences between bikes

I did notice on one of my K1600 test rides that the changes were a lot more noticeable than on the RT, not sure if it's moving more or just adjusts quicker.

Since you have to be in neutral and basically stopped, you're effectively off the bike when you change the setting unless you have way better balance than me... :brad

I can understand why it may be more gentle to change it without a pillion, but getting off the bike doesn't seem right to me... If no weight were the issue you'd also have to pull your luggage.

Or unless you are not very tall, and keep weight on the bike, while keeping balance on your toes when the bike goes up under more pre-load.

Let's say that removing pilot and pillion (if any) must be sufficient. Luggage is not that heavy compared to human riders.

The front sping pre-load does not change in any settings.
Helmet, helmet and bag, or 2 helmets
Only the rear preload changes

Unless you have an Enduro ESA equipped GS GSA
Then you have 2 additional pre-load setting icons.
Small mountain and large mountain.

If you chooses a mountain icon setting, then and only then does the front-preload change.

Also, on my 2011 GSA anyway, if you turn the ignition on, but do not start the bike
you can get down close to the shocks and hear the rebound settings change after pressing the button to select a different value .
Long sentence.
If you start the bike there is too much engine noise to hear the dampers adjust.
But with the ignition on, engine not running, you can hear them clicking.

Dmilan

The front sping pre-load does not change in any settings.
Helmet, helmet and bag, or 2 helmets
Only the rear preload changes

Unless you have an Enduro ESA equipped GS GSA
Then you have 2 additional pre-load setting icons.
Small mountain and large mountain.

If you chooses a mountain icon setting, then and only then does the front-preload change.
Dmilan

On my 2009 GSA the front preload changes when the rear changes. Sometimes when I got back to the single helmet from 2-up you can feel the rear go down slowly but the front will occasionally suddenly drop as you roll forward. But in any case the front goes up and down to match the rear.

On my 2009 GSA the front preload changes when the rear changes. Sometimes when I got back to the single helmet from 2-up you can feel the rear go down slowly but the front will occasionally suddenly drop as you roll forward. But in any case the front goes up and down to match the rear.

I've looked at my 2006 ESA RT - the front shock does not have a motor to change the preload. :scratch Is that different for the GS models?

Rusty

R U sure? Does the '09 have the 5 pre-load setting like the '11, or just 3?

I just switched my 2011 GSA to Wilbers WESA.
Only the rear pre-load adjusts for the 3 "street" settings.
For the Range settings the front preload adjusts as well as the rear

With the bike idling, on the sidestand, I went through the adjustments and using a flashlight, watched the front shock closely. Didn't budge for any of the 3 street settings. Clearly moved up for both range settings.
And then, of course, back down for the street settings.
I thought something might be malfunctioning. Why wouldn't it adjust for the 3 street settings?
Concerned, I called my Wilbers supplier, he confirmed proper operation and stated that OEM is the same.
He made the point that until people replace their OEM suspension hardware they don't really look into it much.

Did some digging on-line, found a review of the R1200GS and GSA from motorcycle.com
Here's part of that review..

" BMW motorcycles are known for durability, reliability and, in the past several years, for a multitude of electronic gadgetry. From heated seats and grips to electronic tire pressure monitoring, Beemers can be loaded with optional tech-ie treats. These two inspirational motorcycles now enjoy the same trick ESA as an available option for many street-only models, but it's even more robust in this version. Called Enduro ESA, the push-button suspension has settings for pavement, and are displayed in the same manner as the street-oriented ESA. Load options are solo rider, rider with luggage, and passenger with three damper modes (Sport, Normal, and Comfort). Note that in all its street settings the front spring preload is always at the minimum. And like on the street bikes, there are little helmets and suitcases on the LCD portion of the dash to indicate your selections. Where the Enduro ESA takes one step further is with settings specifically for rugged terrain.

The Enduro portion of ESA has what are called Medium Reserves and Maximum Reserves - a small "mountain range" symbol in the LCD indicates the former, a larger symbol for the later. After choosing between Reserves, your next job is to select from Soft, Norm and Hard. In the Medium setting, front and rear preload will be increased to 50% of its adjustment. In the Maximum setting front and rear preload is 100%. Ground clearance in Maximum mode is approximately20mm higher than in the solo rider on-road mode. When it's all said and done, a total of 15 suspension settings are possible with Enduro ESA."

This sort of makes sense because when you add luggage or a pillion the weight is overwhelmingly concentrated at the rear of the bike, on the rear suspension. If anything, maybe the front lightens up with more weight on the rear. Wouldn't want any more preload up front unless you want more ground clearence.
So the rear preload adjusts to accomodate extra load.

And the front and rear both adjust when required for off road.

I'm not 100% sure but it seems to make sense... Called 2 local dealers, One said they both adjust, all the time, the dealer that sold me the bike said "not sure, good question"

Dmilan

Last edited:
I've looked at my 2006 ESA RT - the front shock does not have a motor to change the preload. :scratch Is that different for the GS models?

I'd say so.

In the past, I owned 2 R1200RTs.
A 2005 and a 2007. Neither was ESA equipped. As I recall, on neither bike could you adjust the front shock. Not for pre-load or damping.
So it doesn't surprise to here that there is no motor for front pre-load on a 2006 ESA RT.

Early R1200GSs, I have owned a 2005, 2006, 2008... without ESA did have a provision to adjust front pre-load, but not front rebound as I recall.

I'm not sure if newer ESA RTs have front pre-load or not.

I assume your 2006 ESA RT does have front rebound adjustment. Is that correct?

Dmilan

Rusty

R U sure? Does the '09 have the 5 pre-load setting like the '11, or just 3?

I just switched my 2011 GSA to Wilbers WESA.
Only the rear pre-load adjusts for the 3 "street" settings.
For the Range settings the front preload adjusts as well as the rear

Dmilan

I snipped out a bunch of that so it wouldn't be so long. You made me curious so I went out and played with it last night. I couldn't actually see the motor move on the front at all, but it appears that it only changes on the two offroad settings, not on the street ones. Or if it does, it is minimal.

And that does make sense because as you mentioned, you really only need to adjust the rear to keep the ride height correct for loads on street riding. For off road you would want to raise both ends.

So I guess you learn something new everyday.

Back