• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

You guys will hate me for this!

PoorUB

But I am seriously considering trading my 2018 R1200RT in for a new Goldwing.

I sat on one the other day and really like the feel of it. The seat height is lower, the seat doesn't slope forward, I like the seating position better. I am not a big fan of the sport touring seating position, but I have dealt with it for five years. My wife likes the rear seat better. Also with the lower seat height the GW feels so much lighter. I downloaded the owner's manual and have been looking it over and like the audio and Bluetooth intercom set up. Honda was nice enough to have the Bluetooth work with any brand of head sets, unlike the RT.

I might see about taking one for a test ride later this week.

Big bike. Sorta a lot to keep clean. :)

Everyone I know that has one really likes the Goldwing, especially for touring.

Let us know how you make out.

OM

No hate here, buddy. I can see myself on a Honda Goldwing Automatic DCT someday. I looked at them last winter in a local dealership and I was impressed. They have a lot of weight to them but with it all down low it felt lighter than my 1250 GSA.

Let us know how that test ride goes.

I might see about taking one for a test ride later this week.

It is mho that the Goldwing is the best motorcycle in the world. See if you can try one with the DCT (dual clutch transmission), a friend let me ride his and I was massively impressed.

One of the most appealing aspects of the Wing is how quickly its weight simply disappears the second you start rolling. Combine that with the lower seat height and you have a bike that is far easier to ride than a tall/heavy BMW… especially for us inseam-challenged people.

PoorUB, no hate here, I've owned several over the years. Before I bough the RT 3 years ago, I looked at another new wing at a dealership. It was too much of a struggle to get the bike off the side stand for me at that time. Of course, it's another 300+ pounds over the RT.

In the next few or sooner, I'm planning on getting off two wheels and moving to the GW with CsC trike kit. Hanging on to 2 wheels as long as I might for now, but the winged trike is in the cards soon enough.

I'd prefer to be on a wing, no less to maintain in costs, it's more reliable overall, IMO
Good luck if you decide to grab one. They are nice motors

No hate here. Everyone has to ride their ride - the one they feel suits their riding style the best.

I can't even begin to start listing the various bikes I've owned and been happy with over 65 years of motorcycling, starting on a 1939 Simplex Servi-cycle. The only bike I've owned that I got a LOT of heckling for was a Harley Sportster I bought to be able to ride [super light] following surgery on my right wrist some years back. The local Harley club - The Legion Riders [sponsored by the American Legion here] - invites me to ride with them when they need someone to ride sweep for the club rides - absolutely loved giving me grieve every time they saw me on that damn thing..:laugh. Once I could get back on my RT, I sold it to a buddy whose Dad needed something light he could ride as well.

I don't know anyone that seriously criticizes anyone on two-wheels for their choice of steed.

For me, the GW is just too much weight for me.

Gold Wings are as common around here as Harleys. No doubt they are a well sorted piece of machinery in this day and age.

Thanks guys! A for the weight, I rode Harley baggers for years so I am familiar with dealing with a 900 pound bike.

To me the GW seems lighter than than my RT. Certainly feels lighter than the Harley bagger. I am certain the seat height has a great deal to do with it. With my wife sitting on the RT sometimes I have trouble getting it off the side stand. We both sat on the GW and I pulled it right up from the side stand, much easier than my RT.

If I buy one it will be the DCT model. I like the "automatic transmission" aspect of it.

When I bought my RT in 2018 I looked hard at the GW, but I have issues of buying the first year of a new model of anything, too much to go wrong and sometimes manufactures can not seem to be able to test things like the general public.

No one will wave at you, your frame will crack, your gauges will only be repairable by an Accord technician, that extra weight will mean you’ll always be carrying two passengers, check those spark plug prices as you’re going to need a bunch more and don’t pass up those discounts at all the DQ and other ice cream rallies!!

If I buy one it will be the DCT model. I like the "automatic transmission" aspect of it.

The nice people at Honda let me take a 3k mile tour of California on their VFR1200X a few years ago... it had DCT, but I didn't like it because it was a tad clunky. Same with an Africa Twin that I test-rode.

But I *loved* the DCT on my buddy's Goldwing. I think it's because the VFR & AT both have an across-the-frame crankshaft with a 90 degree angle to the drive shaft (on the VFR) and the chain (on the AT) On the Wing, the crank, gearbox and driveshaft are all on the same plan and the DCTs function was pretty much imperceptible.

20160824_082844-X2.jpg

IMG_1712-X2.jpg

I considered a Goldwing and a Harley when buying my last bike before settling on the R1250RT. There were some aspects of the Goldwing versus the RT that I found rather surprising - the wing gets poorer gas mileage and has a smaller tank, it has less luggage capacity and it has a lower load capacity (GVWR minus bike weight). All those things I would have anticipated being better with the Honda (except MPG).

I can't say I'm 100% satisfied with the RT (BMW customer support of the TFT truly sucks) but I found significant issues with both the Honda and the Harley. Kind of surprising there isn't a knockout winner in the touring segment. I wanted to love the R18 as an alternative to Harleys but it also has lots of drawbacks.

The perfect touring bike for me would be an updated R100RT. Light, nimble, comfortable. A little more power and better brakes and it would be close to perfection.

I had an AT DCT for about 6 years and used it as my daily commuter. For that use case the DCT was fantastic. Hit traffic, no problem, relax and lope along in "D" mode with only your right hand on the grip. I found the "S" modes much more engaging and usually used the trigger/paddle to downshift manually when entering corners. Once I stopped commuting I sold it. I just didn't find the DCT or the AT engaging enough to take on fun rides so it was getting left at home while I was riding the manual shift bikes.

You'll hate yourself, we won't have to!
Have you tried the K16GT or GTL? I think that's a better upgrade than going to the GW.
They sell a bunch of those GW's so someone thinks they are awesome, I guess you have to decide if you are one of them.

You'll hate yourself, we won't have to!
Have you tried the K16GT or GTL? I think that's a better upgrade than going to the GW.
They sell a bunch of those GW's so someone thinks they are awesome, I guess you have to decide if you are one of them.

When I bought the RT I looked hard at the K1600. I have ridden the K1600GTL, great bike, but it has the same issues as the RT, tall seat height, sport touring seating position. I looked at the B model, but I don't care for it.

The GW is a great bike and when my GSA days are behind me, :gerg I could see myself on one of them as well.. :D
I had a 2017 RT and traded it in for a 2018 GSA as I could not get comfortable on the RT no matter what I did, seat, pegs etc. My 2004 1150RT was far more comfortable and really only lacked electronic cruise control.

No hate here, buddy. I can see myself on a Honda Goldwing Automatic DCT someday. I looked at them last winter in a local dealership and I was impressed. They have a lot of weight to them but with it all down low it felt lighter than my 1250 GSA.

Let us know how that test ride goes.

I thought that's how it'd go for me, but I realized I needed to move to smaller bikes before I felt the need for an automatic.

Wings are large bikes and that's kinda the opposite of what I need. They're stellar motorcycles and I've had a Honda in my garage for decades, so no hate here.

Go for it. Ride that thing, and if you like it, get one. You only live once. I, however, agree with Kbasa. I would go for a smaller bike, but then I have an RT in the garage. At any rate, Honda has been making some good bikes for a long time.

Easy :thumb

Go for it. Ride that thing, and if you like it, get one. You only live once. I, however, agree with Kbasa. I would go for a smaller bike, but then I have an RT in the garage. At any rate, Honda has been making some good bikes for a long time.

Easy :thumb

My issue is my wife rides with me and we still travel, I need a bagger.

Back