• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tall Guy Fit

danshyne

Greetings:
I have a 2023 r1250 GSA and am having some issues with fitting the bike to me.

I am 6'6", 38" inseam. I am trying to achieve a less acute angle on my leg bend. I've tried and failed to find lowered foot pegs so, after reading/researching, I ran across the idea of getting a ralleye seat and rox pivoting risers.

Logically, this made sense to me:

-I could sit further back on the seat (to lessen knee bend)
-I could install the pivoting riser to keep the reach the same

I have not been able to make this setup work. The way it's currently adjusted, if I sit far enough back, I experience none of the previous issues with my knees or lower back but, my shoulders hurt, and I've noticed increased vibration. I hate just randomly trying stuff, and I don't have the biomechanical background to make a 'best guess.'

As a cyclist, I've been through plenty of professional fittings, where pieces and parts are swapped out to get the most efficient/comfortable position on the bicycle. Is there such a thing, or set of best practices for a motorcycle?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

For reference, I am in Upstate NY.
-Dan

I feel for you. I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam. My trick to dealing with just about any motorcycle is frequent breaks, standing up when I can, and on longer rides...Advil.

I had Sargent make me a 2" taller seat for my R12R. I was going to lower the pegs, but the seat made things tolerable for riding a couple of hours before needing to get off for a stretch and walk around.

As a cyclist, I've been through plenty of professional fittings, where pieces and parts are swapped out to get the most efficient/comfortable position on the bicycle. Is there such a thing, or set of best practices for a motorcycle?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

For reference, I am in Upstate NY.
-Dan

Used to wrench and race on bicycles in my youth, and at 6'3, I have a glimpse of what you're up against. In spite of some bad injuries and resultant arthritis from cycling, climbing, skiing, and martial arts (knock on wood - not motorcycling) - broken neck, destroyed elbow, wrecked shoulder, torn cartilage, 15 mm disc extrusion, etc..., I feel really comfortable on my R1200RS with a raised sport seat - see my avatar. I ride hard on pavement and for fun on gravel. I stand, I sit, I sometimes have to put a knee down. I'm not saying the bike and seat are your solution - everyone's different. Just saying, if there's a fit for me, there should be a comfortable combination of bikes and parts for you.

Always been a fan of Dave Moss Tuning as a rational source of advice. https://davemosstuning.com/
(His most recent email newsletter was on custom seats.)

That said, haven't spent any money for fitting advice from him, as principles of bicycle fitting already give me the basic measurements I'm looking for on a bike.

Depends a little on your primary position and riding style. Bars might need to be wider. Standing comfortably on a GSA might require higher everything (and higher center of gravity). Keeping up on paved twisties might require something lower - more knee bend and lower bars. Think about what you want to do on the bike. Guys at Rawhyde or any of the riding courses might have some ideas for you - you might email them, or, more fun - do the course on your bike.

I have had a physical therapist look at what I do on the bike (center stand poses in cycling shorts and compression shirt and video from the track), and make suggestions on fit and movement that are knee, back, neck, and shoulder friendly. Just a thought. Ask your doctor about a referral.

You might remember - one of the rules from bicycle fitting - it's easier to modify a bike that's a close fit to you, rather than spend time and money on a bike that fits poorly out of the box.

Good luck in sorting this out. Try to keep it fun.

I'm 6'4" with a 35" inseam. I modified my old R1150GS to fit with a Russell Day Long seat with a sheepskin and Suburban Machinery lowerin pegs. For my current R1250RS, I installed Suburban Machinery lowering blocks for the pegs, HeilBar risers, and a sheepskin on the stock seat. Last year I went with a Corbin that was raised 3/4" and have a sheepskin on it too. The current ergos of my RS are pretty similar to a stock GS.

I suggest going with the Suburban Machinery peg solution. I know they were dialing back production to head towards retirement but if still available, they are amongst the best in quality and pricing.

Back