• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Bit of a Dilemma

daveslash5

A good riding buddy, now 82 and with failing health, has had his last ride and offered to sell me is bike at well below market value. He does not want the hassle of selling it. I accepted thinking that I might like it, but if not then it will go on the sales block. But after riding it for a short time, I like it. Now I am having to make the decision: Which bike to keep?

I currently ride a 2018 R1200GS Rallye. It is basically a regular GS with the Adventure suspension, so it sits pretty high, but with my 34” inseam I can stand flatfooted with both feet at a stop. The new bike is a 2019 R1250GS Exclusive (bought new in 2020) with Lowered Suspension. Sitting on this bike with a regular height seat in the high position and suspension on Auto this bike feels like a regular height street bike. I do ride some Forest Service roads, but 95% of my riding in on pavement, both highway travels and for errands around town. Here in the southeast most of the roads are paved; the longest dirt road in my county is only 3 miles. As I age, will I find the height of the Rallye more difficult and appreciate the lower seat of the Exclusive? Will the Low suspension handle the Fire Roads without problems?

The Rallye has 27k miles and is out of warranty; the Exclusive has 13k miles and has another year of warranty. Will a final year R1200 have more long term reliability than a first year R1250 ShiftCam engine?

The Rallye has proved to be a comfortable ride - I took it from South Carolina to the Great Falls rally last year (5600 miles in 16 days including time at the Rally) - but the Exclusive definitely has a lower center of gravity and a sportier feel. I have not tried it on a long ride yet. In a year or two I hope that whichever bike I have will take me across country for a southwestern and California trip, so I will be looking for a bit of long range comfort. Would a Lowered Suspension GS still be comfy?

Now the problem: I like them both, but in different ways. I only have space and riding time for ONE GS, so one will have to go. Any thoughts or input on which one it should be? Comments will be welcomed.

Last edited:
That's easy! Keep both! You do know the right # of bikes is N+1 right? I'm only up to 5.:ha

Hi Skibum,

The issue of a small garage places restrictions on the N+1 theory. Perhaps if I could store them in a sub-space universe when not in use...

If a 1200R LC can handle fire roads (and more) then the lowered GS will have no issues.

I'd pick the shift cam for the better midrange and economy.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

I have a similar experience. I own both a 2017 R1200RT and a 2019 R1250RT. In my case I will keep both because I sent the 1200 to live on the east coast with a friend, who in turn leaves a bike with me in Colorado.

But for awhile last summer, I had both available to ride here in Colorado. And what I found is that the 1250 has a couple of significant differences that improve upon the 1200. First, the engine has been set up to operate nicely at freeway speeds. It can effortlessly hold speed using cruise control on hills, and generally has less vibration which makes it less fatiguing. The second difference is the suspension calibration, which is more refined than my 1200. The soft setting on the 1250 is actually more comfortable on the highway. Finally, the gear shift pro works better on my 1250. Otherwise, the bikes are very close in handling and performance. When operating at higher RPM in the twisties, there is essentially no difference.

I think the differences in the RT will probably apply to the GS too.

On the topic of seat height… I am also a tall rider. You might want to try out an RT. It feels lighter than I remember my old GS, mostly because it isn’t so tall.

Cap

If the vast majority of your riding is on paved surfaces, and you have ridden the Exclusive a good long time to be sure you're not cramped, I'd go with the pavement-oriented bike.

That said, if it's possible to swap out the shocks, you'd have the best of both worlds. I don't know enough about these new models to know if that's possible, butt..... the longer-travel of the Adventure shocks will be appreciated on those rough western roads.

Ian

Thanks for the input folks.

easy: I have had an RT. They do ride great, and if I were only on pavement that would be a possibility. But I have a cabin that's about 2 miles up a gated Forest Service fire road. It is often deeply rutted and washboarded. I generally get up there a half dozen times a year or so and also use Forest Service roads to get to trout streams. I know, I could use the truck, but I prefer the bike whenever possible. The GS does great, but I doubt that an RT could always get me where I want to go.

Cap and ruckrat: Thanks, this is the type info that I was hoping to hear.

If anyone else has thoughts on this, chime in. I am still pondering the issue.

Made a deal with my now ex-wife.

When we first got married, I had a bike.

She told me to get rid of it.

I gave her a choice as riding was my source of relaxation: beers at my favorite bar with naked ladies or ride my bike for relaxation.

I won that one.

A little time passed and I wanted my original but there was basket case BMW for cheap.

I did not ask her permission, I begged for forgiveness.

Then a third came along, oh my, what to do.

Tried the old adage, I should have as many motorcycles as she does purse and shoes.

Now I'm divorced but get to pick my ride of the day.

I've never ridden a 1250 so I can't help you there but I did put 7000 miles on a 2017 GS Rallye with the sport (tall) suspension before getting a 2018 Rallye factory low suspension
model and I can say that the tall bike rode smoother on my street road trips.

None of us are getting any younger and shorter bikes are easier to manager when we're not as robustly muscled as we once may have been.

Thanks to all for your input.
The weather was nice down here in the South this weekend and I was able to get a bit over 200 miles of different types of road under my wheels on the R1250GS. I then did about 50 more on the R1200 GS.

The R1250GS (Lowered) won the prize, and the R1200GS Rallye will soon be up for sale.

I still think that I prefer the softer ride of the Rallye on the interstate and Forest Service roads, but the 1250 Exclusive isn’t far behind in those areas. The 1250 is also more fun on paved curvy mountain roads and a bit more comfortable in city traffic; as kbasa says, were not getting any younger and shorter bikes are easier to manage. With the 1250 having less than half the milage and another year’s worth of warranty I guess it is the logical choice.

My wife says it is “prettier”. I guess it is now decided.:rolleyes

Back