• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How do you adjust seat height? 2003 K1200RS

k547

IMG_4667.jpg

I understand that my 2003 K1200RS seat height is (supposedly) adjustable in either one of two different height positions via the upper or lower of these two lugs on the seat base that engage a peg on the frame beneath it. Judging from the total abscense of minor wear marks/scuffs in the "Low" position seat lug the prevoius owners kept the seat exclusivly in the "High" position. I am beginning to uderstand why they never tried the "Low" position.

I'm embarassed to admit that I have spent literally hours trying to get the seat to mount in the "Low" position. It simply will not go in and always winds up back in the high position. I don't know why this is happening, there is no visual on this, I'm working totally blind.

I have even contemplated removing the rear side panels and the rear fender and associated assembleys from under the seat area so that I could see what is going on. In an even less lucid moment I was ready to hacksaw off the "High" position lugs from the seat base before I regained my senses....

What am I doing wrong or not understanding here?

That can be a tricky seat to get positioned. I found it easiest to stand behind the bike holding the seat with both hands. With the rear of the seat ever so slightly elevated, put the front holder loosely into position on the high or low setting then shove the seat forward and down at the same time. It’s almost impossible to get right if you’re standing beside the bike instead of behind it.

Best,
DeVern

Thanks GTRider

IMG_4670.jpg

I neglected to mention or provide a pic of the front height mounts. They also appear as though the seat has never been in the low position.
I'll try it again and post here with my results.

Thanks GTRider

View attachment 93573

I neglected to mention or provide a pic of the front height mounts. They also appear as though the seat has never been in the low position.
I'll try it again and post here with my results.

Entirely possible! The tricky part is getting both mounts in the same slots. To get the saddle into the high position is usually more difficult for most people, as it requires wrist action to keep the front going into the “high” slot on the saddle, which is actually the lower of the two slots. Hitting the low position for the saddle is usually easier, as the seat can be pretty much just set into position from the rear then shoved forward to engage the correct slots. It takes practice to be able to nail it!

Best,
DeVern

Taking a closer look at the seat height adjustment I just realized that the seat is not actually raised or lowered per se but rotated (primarily the front area of seat is angled up or down) as though it were hinged at it's extreme rear section.

These 2 round cylinder shaped hard rubber inserts on the left and right of the very rear edge of the seat bear the weight and make contact with the two rectangular pads that are part of the rear grab handle and firmly bolted to the rear frame. If these are not supporting the weight on the seat it would be transferred to the seat latch/lock mechanisim which is primarily just plastic and would quickly fail, especially if carrying a passenger.
With the very rear of the seat at a fixed height determined by the rubber plugs sitting on the grab handle pads, setting the seat in the "Low" position rotates the front section of the seat down and setting it in the "High" position rotates the front section of the seat up. Now I'm wondering if when I get it into the "Low" position if I will be sliding forwards towards the fuel cell?

IMG_4681.jpg

IMG_4682.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

IMG_4683.jpg

Last edited:
When I had a 03 KRS I would put the seat in the high position for long days and the low position for back curvy roads. I liked the feeling of sitting low in the bike.
I don't remember having a problem of sliding into the tank when in the low position.
Debbie had the same bike and after she tried the low and high position several times she preferred to leave it in the high position all the time.

Back